3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

6.7L High Performance

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donhov
As an aside, the Sept 08 Diesel Power magazine has a comparrison of the 6.7 to the 5.9. Both stock and minor modified. Exhaust, intake and Edge Juice. It is interesting reading...The 6.7 seems to respond well tot he 5" exhaust and AFE intake with the Edge giving it a jolt.
that article was bunk!! there is no way the 5.9 has mmore stock power. We have compared them. Also the exhaust was a DPF back so you could imagine what it is like without the boat anchor

Chris
Old 08-21-2008, 11:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by donhov
As an aside, the Sept 08 Diesel Power magazine has a comparrison of the 6.7 to the 5.9. Both stock and minor modified. Exhaust, intake and Edge Juice. It is interesting reading...The 6.7 seems to respond well tot he 5" exhaust and AFE intake with the Edge giving it a jolt.
I stopped reading Diesel Power because of that article. Their test shows a stock 5.9L with 3% driveline loss of torque. Show me ANY vehicle that suffers from only 3% driveline loss and I will gladly eat crow. If they can't get a simple base run comparison right, how can they publish ANY kind of conclusions and expect them to be taken seriously? Bending the truth is one thing. In as many words calling your target audience a bunch of illiterate morons who can't smell Edit when it is being thrust into their faces is quite another thing all together. I've written an email to them explaining their incompetance but seriously doubt it will make it to the readers' comments section next month...
Old 08-22-2008, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by mastercaster
my truck has around 11,000 miles on it. last week i put on my BADP 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, EGR delete, edge attitude, and s&b intake. WOKE my truck up!! runs so much better, and best of all is that all of that soot is exiting at the rear of the truck, not being pumped back into it. mileage went from a steady 12 in town to 16.x in town. bye bye regen!!!!
Can only imagine how it runs now! Did you have any problems , CELs or codes before you added all those extras?
Old 08-22-2008, 05:04 PM
The Guru

Anybody making any decent power numbers? How the transmission holding up? They holding up to the power increases?
Old 08-22-2008, 05:12 PM

the only problems i had were emissions related (p2262 and 1451). one new turbo, a turbo, egr, and dpf cleaning. that's why i decided to go ahead and just rid the truck of that crap. they were the only things causing a problem. put on the new stuff a week after it was cleaned. i am really pleased with the performance and mileage increases.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:15 PM

Here's my question though...what happens if you need to take the truck in for repairs (dealer) and they see the emissions stuff gone? Can't they fine you right there? Not trying to be a pain, just wondering if some of the more mod-friendly dealers would overlook these important deletions.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:25 PM

my dealer said it jsut depends on what goes wrong, and if dc enters the picture. he said they've worked on them with dpf deletes and so on. as i stated, the only troubles i've had with the truck were emissions related. i decided to take my chances as far as warranty goes. my guess is that i'll make it to the end of the warranty period with no major troubles. if not, then i'll pay. BUT, i know for certain that my truck is running better nad will last longer with that stuff removed!
Old 08-22-2008, 07:07 PM
The Guru

So how good is the new RE68 tranny? Maybe you can put it into an older truck. Save issues with the reg's and warranty stuff. To bad you just couldn't just buy a vehicle at deep discount without a warranty.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:05 AM

The computer controls everything in this new trans so a simple swap is not possible. Someone with excessive ECM/PCM knowledge may be able to make it work but not the average truck owner...

I just seems that there should be a way to block off the EGR without going through the hassle of removing it. I'm hoping someone comes up with some kind of system like that. Maybe a dump can instead of dumping that garbage back into the engine... Once the can is full you clean it and then put it back on. Am I just dreaming here????
Old 08-23-2008, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
The computer controls everything in this new trans so a simple swap is not possible. Someone with excessive ECM/PCM knowledge may be able to make it work but not the average truck owner...

I just seems that there should be a way to block off the EGR without going through the hassle of removing it. I'm hoping someone comes up with some kind of system like that. Maybe a dump can instead of dumping that garbage back into the engine... Once the can is full you clean it and then put it back on. Am I just dreaming here????
Some guys are running a blocker plate in between the egr and manifold so everything looks legal.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:55 PM

I think there's more to it than that though. From what I've read, if there is no flow going through the EGR assembly the sensors will catch it and cause a CEL.
If I'm wrong, and that is an easy fix for the EGR, then I don't know why anyone would go through the hassle of pulling the whole setup off and buying a delete kit...
Maybe someone running the block off will chime in...
Old 08-23-2008, 01:44 PM

are you guys talking about the egr cooler or valve. my egr valve is removed, and blocker plates installed. yes, some have said they are doing thinner plates and leaving the valve bolted on for stock look. you'll get soft codes either way. the codes won't affect the driveability of the truck. they can be cleared with the edge or pmt prior to startup too. your pulling te valve either way to put blocker paltes in, so most just decide to reomve the valve while at it. as far as the egr cooler goes, it's not necessary to remove it once the valve is blocked other than to clean up the engine bay and provide more room.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:20 PM
The Guru

Kinda sounds like the 70's with the old air pump issue. Can't believe that the newer trucks get worse fuel mileage than the old 12v trucks. I was starting to warm-up to a new truck...Guess my 02 will hang in there for a few more years. My brother 08 Duramax been working good and with no issues at all.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:12 PM

BADP does have a Code free Kit. I have one on my truck to prove it. But they are waiting on the PCB's that they will be using in the production line with a huge back order to fill.

Edge is great but the PMT lays more power down.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisM55
that article was bunk!! there is no way the 5.9 has mmore stock power. We have compared them. Also the exhaust was a DPF back so you could imagine what it is like without the boat anchor

Chris
I agree about the stock power makes no sense but you have to remember why they put that DPF back on the truck; legally you can't delete anything that has to do with emissions especially on these new trucks with the new laws the laid down for them. As for the power potential results im actually not surprised because when you start throwing emissions junk on a engine your going to end up with less hp and probably less gas mileage

Quick Reply: 6.7L High Performance