3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

6.7L High Performance

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 04:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doubtfull, especially at the end of the day if he just wants to get done... I have a feeling that used CATs will become a popular item now....

Good info in that previous post too Broncohound. I "was" a racer and I "was" in the HP race back a couple years ago but finally came to my senses that it was all really just a waste of money and mostly trying to impress people on these boards which I will probably never meet in person. That's why I gave up on it. I just want my truck to run well and get the best mileage possible. I really don't want a DL or fueling box either. Maybe I will start looking for a used CAT to modify and install on my truck. I will most likely keep the factory cat on there too since I don't even want my truck to be too loud either. I guess I'm getting old eh there sonny!?!?!?!
Old 08-25-2008, 06:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If that means you're getting old, what does it mean when you haven't seen your speedometer go over 63mph in probably 10K miles?
Old 08-25-2008, 07:16 AM

Ha Ha!! I guess I shouldn't call you Sonny then, eh Pops......

I'm gonna climb under the truck today and see how similar the DPF is to the CAT. I know an exhaust guy who can probably set it up so it looks factory for me. Then I guess all I would need is the electronic fooler box. That should help mileage a bit I hope. Plus, even though the DPF is there for emissions purposes, it's doubtful that it would be regenning during an emissions test so it really should not affect the outcome of the test.......
Old 08-25-2008, 08:26 AM

Just remember, even with the fooler box you need the Edge to clear the codes thrown at startup by the mods on the PCM. It will drive you nuts if you don't clear the codes. All it has taken for me to decide to really get down and do this is hearing of what the intake horn looks like post EGR! Heater grids completely plugged and 1/4 inch of funk all the way around the intake! We are killing the trucks maybe slowly, maybe not! Not to mention I would rather give my money to EDGE and h&S than Sultan Hagi in Saudi Arabia!!

Chris
Old 08-27-2008, 05:48 PM

I do have a cel but dont know the code. My truck does not studder it seems to run ok. As far as the harness goes i have not removed it but i did remove the butterfly valve. So do i still need to rmove the harness ?
Old 08-27-2008, 06:56 PM

BroncoHound........I want to almost duplicate what you have done, is your muffler replacement a aero resonator muffler or is it just a standard 4040.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by z28fan
I do have a cel but dont know the code. My truck does not studder it seems to run ok. As far as the harness goes i have not removed it but i did remove the butterfly valve. So do i still need to rmove the harness ?
If you have blocked the EGR and removed the butterfly, yes, you need to unplug the EGR solonoid regardless of whether you leave it there for a stock appearance or remove it. Leaving it plugged in has given most a hard code and caused the truck to go into limp mode, requiring a dealer visit to correct (meaning you have to put all your emissions equipment back on your non-running truck just to limp it to the dealer, have them reflash it, and go back home to yank everything back off).

Originally Posted by bugs4121
BroncoHound........I want to almost duplicate what you have done, is your muffler replacement a aero resonator muffler or is it just a standard 4040.
My muffler is the standard 4040, not the 4040XL. I wish I could have put a 4040XL on, but I had to cut 3" off my delete pipe just to get the 4040 to fit in the factory resonators place. The 4040XL is another 6" longer which would have required my cutting past one of the EGT sensor bungs on the delete pipe. Not a big deal as I could have just ZIP tied the EGT sensor to the frame by the fooler box, but I didn't want to cut that much off. If I get a wild hair one day (which i likely never will...lol) I may end up replacing with the 4040XL to make it just a bit more quiet.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:13 PM

Hey did you do an EGR delete without doing a DPF delete? if so I need to do that..
Old 08-27-2008, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by cesoave
Hey did you do an EGR delete without doing a DPF delete? if so I need to do that..
Absolutely NOT. The DPF delete is a MUST before doing the EGR delete. If you delete the EGR first, you will clog the DPF almost instantly and the truck will show a "Catalyst Full: Service Required" message and the truck will go into limp mode. DPF and EGR should, in my opinion, be done at the same time. If this is not possible, the DPF must be done first.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:08 PM

Well, my H&S tbe delete should be here tomorow and the EGR plates shortly after that. I may get time to start working on it tomorow but probably friday so I will keep you guys posted.

I have a 3 day fishing trip planned for next weekend. I am going to be driving 8 hours each way so I will let you know about milage increases after that. Best I have ever gotten on the highway is about 16

Chris
Old 08-28-2008, 05:35 PM

Delete is done!! This thing sounds AWSOME!!! I am running to town in a bit so we will see about the power and milage

Chris
Old 08-28-2008, 08:15 PM

Can anyone tell me the bad side of doing a cat-back straight pipe on an '08 6.7?
Old 08-29-2008, 04:15 AM

Man! I want to do the delete so bad but I really really don't want to have to buy an Edge Juice, or other box, just to clear codes on every startup. Arghhh!!!!!!!
Old 08-29-2008, 08:12 AM
The Guru

A diesel mag just did a build-up on a 6.7L, doing some of the typical mods that HP seekers do. CAI, 6in exhaust and edge tuner box. The 6.7L truck still had all of its emission stuff on it for the dyno pulls
Old 08-29-2008, 10:30 AM

Broncohound great stuff, I put on 400 km /day hauling about 1000 lbs... what kind of mileage increase did you get in the end.

Quick Reply: 6.7L High Performance