3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

6.7L High Performance

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 01:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
6.7L High Performance

OK, just like the title states - high performance hardware & software BOMBs for the new engine.

Specifically, parts such as the DPF, VGT, cat, muffler, EGR, intake horn, etc. & aftermarket fueling software/boxes as they become available.
Feel free to post observations & considerations of the new "features" we're dealing with; regen cycles, fuel dosing, induction sooting issues, dealer maintenance, etc.

What you've done or are planning to do, or what you think would work - try to give details and keep it 6.7L specific.

Bench racing through dyno results...

let's get after it!
Old 08-21-2008, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah im interested in all this too i have a friend that is not a member here and wants me to find somethings to livin up his new 6.7l what is the easiest way to get rid of the dpf thanks guys

danny
Old 08-21-2008, 02:31 PM

i love my edge juice with attitude although cant use setting 4 or 5 clutch want handle it
Old 08-21-2008, 02:53 PM

I've read where a couple guys are running the Superchips Cortex and seeing 16-18 mpg average. That's the only mod other than a better intake or air cleaner.
If I can get over the possible loss of the warranty on my $15,000 engine then I may start deleting stuff. These new trucks are just plain awesome when they aren't throwing codes. And I don't mind making a bit of smoke on occasion.............
Old 08-21-2008, 04:05 PM

smoke ????? i thought it shouldnt smoke
Old 08-21-2008, 04:16 PM

I think it will smoke if you start deleting stuff and then add fuel....
Old 08-21-2008, 04:17 PM

yes sir it sure will
Old 08-21-2008, 05:04 PM

Well, here are my impressions. The statements below are all purely based on my own experience with the product or what I believe from having researched the product...

DPF Delete: There are 2 primary companies and a few smaller companies making them. H&S and Bay Area Diesel Performance (BADP). Both currently throw a "soft" code CEL that will not derate your engine but will make the little annoying light on the dash stay lit. The way around this is to clear the codes with a scanner at startup or have an Edge Juice w/Attitude or Bully Dog PMT to clear them at startup. Both H&S and BADP are on the brink of putting their "code free" units to market, yet both are having supplier troubles for some of the electronics. In the next month or two, the code-free units should be in widespread distribution. I have a BADP 4" downpipe (eliminates the cat) and 4" delete pipe (eliminates the NOx absorber and DPF) which then goes to an AeroTurbine 4040 muffler and stock tailpipe (to keep John Q. Law from looking too close). With the delete before the muffler install (factory resonator was still in place) I didn't really like the sound at idle. You could hear too much turbo whine from the VGT and it sounded like a hair dryer. After the muffler install, the truck sounds PHENOMINAL.

EGR Delete: This involves removing the EGR solonoid on the intake and replacing with block-off plates. You also remove the butterfly in the intake and block off the cooler tube on the passenger side. This will also throw a "soft code" CEL due to having to unplug the EGR to remove it. Currently there is a fooler box being tested that will plug into the EGR plug and fool the computer to thinking the EGR is in place and functioning properly, making it "code-free." Some are also removing the EGR cooler on the passenger side and placing blocker plates in the exhaust manifold. You have to leave the servo motor plugged in and will have to ZIP tie it out of the way, currently. Something the code-free EGR delete supposedly will also do is allow the servo to be unplugged and removed as well. Keven @ K2 Diesel Performance stocks the EGR blocker plates and is currently getting the EGR cooler delete plates in stock. He will also stock the code-free EGR fooler when it becomes available. H&S also sells EGR delete plates and reportedly will throw a set in if you buy a full TBE from them. I currently have my EGR deleted but not the cooler. IMO, this is a MUST. The EGR is pumping BUTTLOADS of soot back into the engine. As soon as you see the inside of your intake for the first time, you will realize why all these trucks are throwing codes and clogging turbos all the time.

Edge Juice w/Attitude: I love this thing. A full set of gauges plus an on-the-fly tuner plus clears the CELs from the deletes (which hopefully won't be necessary in a couple of months when both the code-free DPF and EGR deletes are readily available). The power delivery is awesome, mileage has increased, it keeps you from blowing up your truck, all around great product.

Bully Dog Power Pup: You can only use the Tow and Performance tunes. Bully Dog will not release an Extreme tune on the Power Pup due to it will clog the DPF and they are setting everything in their line-up to be useable with the DPF. They are making the Extreme tune available on the PMT and the soon-to-be-released Triple Dog 6.7L software because both of those are on-the-fly adjustable. The Power Pup is not. Stacking the Power Pup with the Edge can produce varying results. I currently have my Edge on level 5 and my Power Pup on Tow and it runs great. When the Power Pup was on Performance, however, the truck didn't get enough fuel and I had to back off. Plus there was alot of timing rattle when in Performance and level 5 on the Edge. The Power Pup also has the ability to calibrate the factory speedometer and odometer to compensate for tire/gear size changes. The Edge can be programmed for tire size changes but will only display the speed on the Attitude monitor, not change the factory speedometer.

Bully Dog PMT: This is basically the same product as the Edge Juice w/Attitude but with a few changes. Color, touchscreen monitor. No turbo timer (yet), which the Edge has. 3 Power levels (Tow, Performance, Extreme) instead of 5 (6 if you get the "HOT" unlock) but the PMT claims to put more HP to the wheels than the Edge. The PMT is also internet updateable which the Edge is not. The PMT can also calibrate the factory speedo like the Power Pup can while the Edge cannot. This has me thinking I might sell my Edge and Power Pup and buy the do-it-all PMT. For what I can sell my Edge and Power Pup for, I can almost pay for a PMT and still have all the features I had previous (minus the turbo timer which is supposedly in the works as an update) plus a nifty new monitor that is MUCH more aesthetically pleasing than the Edge monitor.

Currently I am running my modified 4" TBE, EGR delete, Edge Juice w/Attitude, and Bully Dog Power Pup. I haven't been to a dyno nor will I since a sheet of paper means nothing to me. I don't drag race or sled pull. I hotshot and I pull my race trailer and hopefully soon a toy hauler or large camper. Bobtail and unloaded, my EGTs @ 63mph rarely see over 650 unless climbing a steep grade then never go over 900. My intake air temperature hovers 18-20 degree above ambient air temperature. However, this thing is a screamer. I can slip the clutch in all 6 gears (i think, i've never floored it in 1st...lol) and can easily hit 1350 degrees EGT before I see 6th gear by runnning to redline in each gear before shifting at 90% throttle.

I've also heard good things about the Superchips Cortex and Hypertech Max Energy. I think they are both comparable to the Bully Dog Power Pup. I have also heard a bunch of claims over improvements running a CAI but I have yet to see hard data from a similarly modded truck as mine running a CAI that I don't nearly duplicate (claimed lower IAT, lower EGT, increased MPG, etc). my only intake modification is the replacement of the stock filter with an AmsOil Nanofiber filter for a 5.9L.

Side notes:
-I have run LSD with no problem since the deletes.
-I run AmsOil synthetic fluids in everything that takes petroleum-based fluids on the truck.
-With the Edge on level 5, the Pup on Tow, and under hard acceleration, i can throw a small cloud of black smoke. Other then that, nada. My tailpipe has darkened and the corner of my bumper is tarnishing a bit, but there isn't any visible smoke under anything less than 90% throttle right through the heart of the powerband.
-I have 25950 miles on the truck presently and will likely need a new clutch before 50000 miles due to the power this truck is putting to the ground.
-I love this truck more every time I hear it fire up nowadays.

Links:
http://www.badptrucks.net/
www.hsperformance.net (their website is down presently) 435-628-1730
http://www.shop.k2dieselperformance....1&productId=73
http://www.edgeproducts.com/product.php?pk=52&pvk=233
http://www.bullydogshop.com/product/...256.2114.0.0.0
http://www.bullydogshop.com/product/...256.2114.0.0.0
http://www.madselectronics.com/products.html <--COMING SOON!!!
Old 08-21-2008, 05:55 PM

my truck has around 11,000 miles on it. last week i put on my BADP 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, EGR delete, edge attitude, and s&b intake. WOKE my truck up!! runs so much better, and best of all is that all of that soot is exiting at the rear of the truck, not being pumped back into it. mileage went from a steady 12 in town to 16.x in town. bye bye regen!!!!
Old 08-21-2008, 05:57 PM

Nice writeup Brocohound COuld not, "and would not have wanted to type that" Better myself!!

Just to put in my .02, I love my Edge Juice!! It is everything it is advertised. I am ordering the H&S Delete, stage 1 on Monday if all goes well. 12 MPG is just assinine!

I have realy started to like my AFE dry element drop in filter. Just knocked it out and a ton of KAKA fell out. Have not washed it yet though.

Chris
Old 08-21-2008, 06:49 PM

Bronco,

If you have the edge does it clear the egr delete soft code on start-up? or does the code come back while driving?

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2008, 07:08 PM

It clears the codes tripped by the DPF and EGR deletes on startup and they do not return until the truck is shut off. Then they must be cleared again at the next startup. If your CEL comes on while you are driving, it means you have an unrelated problem that needs attention. I like this as it still allows me to retain the functionality of having a MIL-system while not having to stare at the light illuminated on the dash for things I not only am aware of, but did purposefully.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:11 PM

I like this topic. Now i can tell my buddy how to fix truck without annoying me!!
Old 08-21-2008, 09:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
As an aside, the Sept 08 Diesel Power magazine has a comparrison of the 6.7 to the 5.9. Both stock and minor modified. Exhaust, intake and Edge Juice. It is interesting reading...The 6.7 seems to respond well tot he 5" exhaust and AFE intake with the Edge giving it a jolt.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:46 PM

Thanks for the informative post, BroncoHound!

Quick Reply: 6.7L High Performance