3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

6.7L fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.7L fuel filter

OK,,,, What is the easiest way to change the fuel filter on the 6.7??? Without Bleeding!!! I found that you can pop the big electrical connector on the firewall but that doesn't give you much room... and gives you more places to cut yourself>>> any one done theirs yet?? If you pay someone to get it done... how much did they charge?

Oilguy
Old 03-31-2008, 12:20 PM

I'm interested too. I have filters on the way but haven't figured out yet exactly how you change it....
Old 03-31-2008, 12:43 PM

I haven't done one yet but I have a quick lube business... So I am going to be doing more and more of these things... It doesn't look easy or fast like the last version...

I can't imagine it being harder than the 08 Cheby's!!! The dealer even charges $120 to change those and they are the same filter as the last one... There is just twice and much stuff in half as much space on the new ones... I am actually looking for a clean way of cutting the inner fender on those... But I haven't found a painless way of doing the 08 6.7's

OG
Old 03-31-2008, 01:06 PM

I've changed the fuel filter 13 times so far. There is NO real easy way. I did the first few by taking off the wheel & wheel well liner. I don't like unscrewing & screwing the liner screws so many times - threads are going to give out eventually, especially when I'm changing it every month @ 10k miles. Plus I don't like having to man-handle the wheel. Makes it a long involved job. Also tried from the top by moving the big electrical box. First time doing that I looked I had been to a knife fight without a knife - alot of blood left on the truck. Developed a system to do it that way with less blood. The last few I have done from the bottom. This way seems to be the least hardest & quickest way. A tip for draining the filter, I found, is to break the seal by loosening the filter a turn or two, then the fuel will actually drain down the drain tube. If I try to just drain the tube without loosening the filter the grey crank will come out of the threads before any fuel comes down the tube and then fuel will come out from around the threads and all over - VERY messy!!
Old 03-31-2008, 01:29 PM

Another good site for 07.5 and 08 6.7 info is www.comminsownerz.com
Old 03-31-2008, 01:35 PM

So though the wheel well is the safest way?? That is not promising!!! Do you have to remove the wheel or is that to stay clean??
This is starting to look expensive!!
I wonder if the electrical connector can be relocated a few inches over to be out of the way.... Or can the old style filter canister replace this one so you can use a ratchet/socket like before??
Maybe someone can come up with a fuel filter relocater... Hint hint... maybe even a spin on fuel filter/water separator....

OG
Old 03-31-2008, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Oilguy
So though the wheel well is the safest way?? That is not promising!!! Do you have to remove the wheel or is that to stay clean??
Maybe someone can come up with a fuel filter relocater... Hint hint... maybe even a spin on fuel filter/water separator....OG
I don't think you can get at it without taking the liner out. There is a hole in the liner but it's not big enough to get at the filter or pull it out from. Wheel would have to come off first. Maybe you could cut a hatch-way in the liner but then you have a bigger hole for dirt & water, or make a hinged hatch. It IS a spin on/off filter. As I said before, I think from the bottom is the least hardest way. Just have to be careful working the new filter back up so you don't knock any crap into it. If you have a lift it would be easier, I have to do mine laying on the ground which is not cool when it's cold or raining out. Don't have a garage big enough for a real car let alone this beast.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:32 PM

One tip is to buy a length of 3/8 ID clear tubing to replace the short OE tube. This will make it easier to catch the fuel from the filter.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:01 PM

I was just out looking at mine (4x4) and seems to have plenty of room to get to the filter... Of course I haven't actually had to do it... I have put my hands on it and seem to be able to get plenty of grip.
I like the longer hose idea... I did that on my last truck and the f250...

BTW
I have a Frantz bypass oil filter also that I need to find a place for...
Anyone have any suggestions? I am thinking either behind the front bumper or running a longer hose and installing it behind the transfer case since there is a huge protected space.

OG
Old 03-31-2008, 08:05 PM

I change mine with the wheel off but the liner on. There is a space to the rear of the spring that's big enough to get the filter out between the liner and frame. It's not real easy, but I don't think the liner screws are really designed to be screwed in and out many times. It's also quicker to wrestle with the filter a little than to remove the liner and screws, for me at least.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:27 AM

Did mine for the first time a few weeks ago and did what erics76 does. There was a link on this site sometime ago and that's what was suggested and it works well. The hole provided by the liner is big enough , just tilt the filter a bit and you can get it out and the new one goes in the same route. You have to remove the tire. I thought it was much easier than I thought it was going to be.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:53 AM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Removing tire might cause problem if wheel is not torqued to spec when reinstalling. I remove wheel well since filter is normally changed with other service work being done. Only take me a few exrra minutes to do it that way. I can get a oil filter wrench on it much easier. Good Luck!
Old 04-01-2008, 11:12 AM

I use this [URL="http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FS43252E"] filter from Geno's garage. I haven't had to remove the wheel well but I do remove the tire to make it easier. I've tried the longer tube to drain the filter without much luck. A large filter wrench helps loosen it but no way around a little mess.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I do it from underneath and it takes me around 30 minutes. Not bad at all. I also put a longer drain hose for ease. Also, after you loosen the drain valve, turn the key on. It will prime the fuel filter and drain the fuel/water. I also use a small trash bag under the filter when i remove it; helps to collect any extra fuel leaking from removal. Don't let it discourage you, it's really a simple task.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:46 PM

Taking out the liner is easy.

It takes 30sec to 1 min to pull the wheel well liner, and another 2min to change the filter. It took me longer to take the tire off and put it back but total on the first change was about 10min. I used a floor jack and an impact to remove the tire. I used a cheap cordless drill to take out the fender liner screws.

Quick Reply: 6.7L fuel filter