3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

6.7 Mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 09:02 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.7 Mods

Well, has anyone tried to modify their 6.7 yet? Tried dropping a muffler? BHAF? Just curious.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:04 AM
Banned

No. We can't afford new trucks! We just drive the wheels off our old ones.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:23 AM
Chapter President

Sure, I ask a serious question, and what do I get? A smart alack Okie.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Duallydog
Sure, I ask a serious question, and what do I get? A smart alack Okie.
Ya, I get that a lot. You typed it nicer than anyone else though. Thanks! Actually, I'm curious to know what can be done to the newer trucks too, so in all actuallity, I was just bumping your post to the top to keep it more visible, like I am now. You aren't an Okie hater are ya? Hey, at least I'm not a Sooner!!!!! Then I wouldn't blame you for hating me!
Old 01-08-2007, 09:29 AM

The muffler can be removed legally and easily, haven't done it. Did it on another truck and ended up putting it back on. I spend to much time in the truck and don't like the noise.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:25 AM

I didnt know the 6.7l trucks were even out, already talking about mods
Old 01-08-2007, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by VikingDiesel
I didnt know the 6.7l trucks were even out, already talking about mods
Been out for several months in the Cab Chassis.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:32 PM
Chapter President

I know most of what can be done on them until the electronic enhancements come out. Anyone want to start a pool on who will have a module out for it first? I'm betting Dr Performance has the module first and Bullydog has something out in the form of a programmer. Quad, Edge, and Banks will develop and test for awhile before they do anything.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by graphitecumnz
Been out for several months in the Cab Chassis.
Ya. There is a Red/Maroon dually cab/chassis sitting next door here and has for what seems like maybe two months. No one seems to want it. It is a two wheeler though, 4x4 seems to be the truck of choice around these parts, especially if you farm at all.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:28 PM

The big question I'd have to ask is, why? I have yet to drive the 350hp version of the 6.7, I have only gotten to drive the cab & chassis 305hp version and it was plenty. I have one sitting out front right now that is sold and the guying buying it was telling me some diesel mechanics he knows say that "those sensors in the exhaust stream are just back pressure sensors and there is no reason to have them there, you'll have no problem gutting the exhaust" they told him. I told him otherwise. I told him those sensors are responsible for monitoring many parameters of the engines performance and that removing them could be catastrophic, and most likely could do severe damage if he tried to run the truck like that. I just don't get it? Only thing I can figure is that everybody just has waaaayyyyy to much money these days if they are able to buy these $30k,$40k,$50k trucks and mess around with the operating parameters to the point where stuff can be severly damaged and shorter engine life may result. If I was tempted to drop enough money to buy one, the only things I'd do to it was drive it, put fuel in it, and maintain it per the book.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:34 PM

The only way is all the way.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:11 PM
JKM

Originally Posted by eb290
The muffler can be removed legally and easily, haven't done it. Did it on another truck and ended up putting it back on. I spend to much time in the truck and don't like the noise.
You sir are DEAD WRONG, the muffler might be able to be removed easily , but it surely cannot be removed legally. Any modifications to the emissions system (any fuel mods , intakes , exhausts , etc etc etc) are technically illegal for on road use , if your using your truck solely off of designated (government owned , state, county , township owned or maintained) roads , then you can do basically whatever you wish.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eb290
If you truly did remove the muffler or in better terms (DPF) it is illegal. I would also like to know how you got passed the 3 temperature sensors and differential pressure sensor. I highly doubt you removed the DPF on an 07 6.7l.

The ECM monitors the temperature sensors and delta p sensor at all times. This is what tells it when a regen is needed. If the temp is to cold, it goes into an active regen which sprays fuel to the DPF, if it is still showing to cold, then you derate and possibly shut down. This is also the same with the delta p (diff. psi), since it monitors exhaust flow across the catalyst.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:19 PM

Have any of you looked at the exhaust on a 6.7 truck? The muffler is at least 2 feet behind the particulate filter. I have read in the Turbo Diesel Register Magazine, and I quote, "In the exhaust system there is a selfcleaning diesel particulate filter (DPF), an oxidation catalyst, and a muffler. The muffler is not part of the emission control system and can be removed without violating emissions compliance". This is on page 120, issue 52. If they are wrong, I stand corrected, but I haven't found them to be wrong very often. (Actually, I have never found them to be wrong in their magazine).
Old 01-08-2007, 07:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Luke S
The big question I'd have to ask is, why? I have yet to drive the 350hp version of the 6.7, I have only gotten to drive the cab & chassis 305hp version and it was plenty. I have one sitting out front right now that is sold and the guying buying it was telling me some diesel mechanics he knows say that "those sensors in the exhaust stream are just back pressure sensors and there is no reason to have them there, you'll have no problem gutting the exhaust" they told him. I told him otherwise. I told him those sensors are responsible for monitoring many parameters of the engines performance and that removing them could be catastrophic, and most likely could do severe damage if he tried to run the truck like that. I just don't get it? Only thing I can figure is that everybody just has waaaayyyyy to much money these days if they are able to buy these $30k,$40k,$50k trucks and mess around with the operating parameters to the point where stuff can be severly damaged and shorter engine life may result. If I was tempted to drop enough money to buy one, the only things I'd do to it was drive it, put fuel in it, and maintain it per the book.
I mod my truck so I can pull what it needs to pull that way I can justify buying the truck. My truck doesn't cost me money it makes me money. When the Dodge has 350 hp and 700 tq at the rear wheel then I will no longer need to mod my truck.
I just can't justify owning a Kenworth and a Dodge Cummins when I can get by with the Dodge.

Quick Reply: 6.7 Mods