3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

6.7 Mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 07:39 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So that being said, what's the best answer to this? Exhaust dump, then it can be said it's for off road use. But no, no one believes me.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Duallydog
So that being said, what's the best answer to this? Exhaust dump, then it can be said it's for off road use. But no, no one believes me.
Well, the solution is to BOMB its brains out and vote people into office that will repeal such worthless, unConstitutional and dangerous legislation. (And to keep your right to bear arms in case the Eco-****'s come after you. But I digress...)
Old 01-11-2007, 05:50 PM
JKM

Originally Posted by eb290
First of all, I really don't know why I'm even making an effort to argue with you looking at the mods on your truck. Most of them make your truck illegal. I was simply answering some of the questions that the thread was about. If taking the mufflers off the truck is illegal then probably 75% of the people that belong to this board are illegal.

That being said, after reading your profile, I know there is no use in argueing with you, 20 year olds know everything.
I am well aware that My modifications are illegal (and i knew that you would bring this point up), but i appreciate your concern . Would you like me to show you the receipt for my exhaust that says "for off road use only". I realize that you were trying to help, but you were also promoting the removal of federal/epa mandated equipment, Which is against forum rules ( but is lightly enforced), and is illegal. If I get into a legal situation regarding my exhaust , i will either have to eat the fines , or buy a stock exhaust , or both, but that is me, and my problem. Reccomending that someone else remove illegal components (either you or TDR in this case) puts YOU on "the hook".

With that being said , My age should have nothing to do with this , true there is a "know it all" in every crowd , but the amount a person actually knows is not age dependant, I find your remarks offensive also. I am not sure on your history , but i am sure that i have accomplished alot more than the average 20 year old has, and i think my knowledge is very relavent to this situation , as i just completed another block of my mechanics licence , and in that block , we covered emissions equipment , including noise pollution , and air pollution.

P.S.- If you have a problem with me personally , or my age , please take it to the PM system, I would love to debate your age complex with you.

Originally Posted by AirGrabber
If you read what was stated, ( "In the exhaust system there is a selfcleaning diesel particulate filter (DPF), an oxidation catalyst, and a muffler. The muffler is not part of the emission control system and can be removed without violating emissions compliance".) , NOISE is not part of the topic. It is simply saying that if you do remove the muffler you wont affect the emmisions control system. Basically, the exhaust will still be as clean as it was before the muffler was removed. As far as pointing out there mistake, they didnt make one to begin with. Now, if it said that removing the muffler has no effect on noise emmisions and it is perfectly O.K. to be removed, then I might justify pointing that little mistake out. ( I wouldnt, but, Im pretty sure you would )
Noise IS part of the topic , he mentioned that it was legal to remove the muffler. It has been stated and reinforced (thank you Beagle1) that there IS a federal law forbidding tampering with factory supplied emissions equipment , this includes noise emissions. I agree with you that the muffler might not make a noticeable difference in the actual noise emissions , but it makes a big difference legally.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:45 PM
Chapter President

Guys, I didn't start this thread to start an EPA discussion, I started it to see if anyone has done more than throw a bed on one of the 6.7s. Now that I have thrown that out there, no one has done anything yet???
Old 01-11-2007, 07:10 PM

I've gotten as far as ordering mine!!! lol, I think there are alot of "gray" areas when it comes to the emmissions &/or noise laws, but realistically how many people have ever had it enforced????? very few compared to the #'s out there of us who have ever removed a muffler from a pickup, whatever the enigine/brand, I'm with Duallydog on this one, laws be damned has anyone out there done anything to a 6.7L & were there any ill effects???? I don't plan on being the first person out there to take off a muffler, & have absolutely no plans of ever removing the DPF, but I'd still like to know what effects it has on them, if nothing else so I could warn others not to do it if there's major problems to be created??? the emmissions crap could & probably will be argue'd from now on, but we all know that someone is gonna ignore the consequences & alter the exhaust as well as other related items, so let's here what it does after the fact!!!! LOL Dusty
Old 01-11-2007, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by JKM

With that being said , My age should have nothing to do with this , true there is a "know it all" in every crowd , but the amount a person actually knows is not age dependant, I find your remarks offensive also. I am not sure on your history , but i am sure that i have accomplished alot more than the average 20 year old has, and i think my knowledge is very relavent to this situation , as i just completed another block of my mechanics licence , and in that block , we covered emissions equipment , including noise pollution , and air pollution.
Age may not bring wisdom, but it brings respect.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:44 PM
JKM

Originally Posted by Hillbilly_Deluxe
Age may not bring wisdom, but it brings respect.
What would you know , I'm 20 and don't know anything , your not even 20...
Old 01-11-2007, 07:49 PM

I do a good job at avoiding these types of situations....'nuff said.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:10 AM

This thread is so off topic it isnt even funny. Duallydog asked if he can drop a BHAF in and swap out the muffler. No crap mods are illegal. 99% of us do them so WHO CARES!!!! I want to know more about 6.7L mods!
Old 01-12-2007, 06:49 AM
Banned

I want to know what prevents you from plugging a Smarty into a 6.7 liter...
Old 01-12-2007, 08:16 AM

Look Here http://wwwleftlanenews.com/2006/09/2...mmins-turbodie...
The link almost works sorry!! Type in Dodge announces new 6.7 cummins when you get to the link and click on the top article. It will state that the muffler is isolated from the emmision equipment on these truck and is legal to be removed!!!
Old 01-12-2007, 11:18 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Begle1
I want to know what prevents you from plugging a Smarty into a 6.7 liter...
Kinda the opposite reason of not being able to plug a Smarty into yours, (yours being no electronics) the new ones have a complicated code to be played with first, not to mention it will probably show up like a sore thumb that the programming has been changed, also I bet all programmers will have to have a wiring harness for the sensors in the exhaust. (any takers?)
Old 01-12-2007, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by JKM
It will alter the NOISE emissions of the vehicle , therefore , it is illegal , any exhaust modification IS AND HAS BEEN illegal, I don't care if TDR says it is ok or not. I am going to take the liberty of sending them an E-mail pointing out their mistake , because i think they are smart enough to realize that they could suffer from legal recourse due to promoting that modification for on road use.
Actually bubbles it is NOT illegal too remove the muffler. As long as the exhaust noise does not violate local sound laws. Here in alberta it is 87 dBa @ 20 ft @ 2000 rpm, And this is only after 11:00 pm.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:49 PM

Is that standing in fron of the vehicle bescause my dart would pass as long as you are not standing behind it.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:07 PM

I think there is a tone ring and sensor mod that someone could try, less soot , so it should be ok with dpf

Quick Reply: 6.7 Mods