3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

6.7 full straight pipe not very loud

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.7 full straight pipe not very loud

i got the dpf-r module and took off the dpf and muffler and put on a straight pipe. i mean this is a full straight pipe with nothin on it at all on it i just replace it with the stock 4 inch exhaust where the dpf and stuff was and it is not very loud at all you can really hear the eb come on but when you get on it there is hardly any sound at all. i dont know if im just used to my o6 5.9 or what but i would have thought that it would actually be a little bit loud. does anybody know if theres anything else you can do to make it louder i really dont wanna go to a 5 inch system though.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:11 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
If you still have the OEM downpipe, there's yet another CAT in it as well. I've heard some with the H&S DPF Deletes (and stock downpipes) and they're just a tad louder at idle and sound a little louder cruising, with no drone if the muffler is left intact.

Greg
Old 11-22-2008, 01:17 PM

ya i still have the stock down pipe. how much louder really is it with a diferent down pipe on it would it be wourht the money
Old 11-22-2008, 02:57 PM

I just installed my DPF-R a couple of days ago and I'm also disappointed in the sound. It is slightly louder with a little drone above 2000 rpm but little difference to the stcok pipe. I've heard that deleting the stock downpipe makes a huge difference, which I plain on doing. I have yet to find anyone that will sell only the downpipe though.

Are you having any problems with your DPF-R kit? Mine clears the codes on startup but after a few minutes the CEL comes on and stays on. The truck runs fine but its frustrating to have the light there. Now I regret not getting the H&S kit with the EDGE.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Look into a company called Expandit. They usually will sell separate pieces. You should also be able to run any 04.5+ 5.9L downpipe since all your sensors go into the delete pipe. You may have to grind down the turbo flange ID of the downpipe but it will fit. Getting rid of the stock downpipe makes the exhaust much louder. Also deleting the EGR makes the engine quite a bit louder.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by BroncoHound
Look into a company called Expandit. They usually will sell separate pieces. You should also be able to run any 04.5+ 5.9L downpipe since all your sensors go into the delete pipe. You may have to grind down the turbo flange ID of the downpipe but it will fit. Getting rid of the stock downpipe makes the exhaust much louder. Also deleting the EGR makes the engine quite a bit louder.

thanks, by deleting you mean just unplugging right?
Old 11-22-2008, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by tombogue99
I just installed my DPF-R a couple of days ago and I'm also disappointed in the sound. It is slightly louder with a little drone above 2000 rpm but little difference to the stcok pipe. I've heard that deleting the stock downpipe makes a huge difference, which I plain on doing. I have yet to find anyone that will sell only the downpipe though.

Are you having any problems with your DPF-R kit? Mine clears the codes on startup but after a few minutes the CEL comes on and stays on. The truck runs fine but its frustrating to have the light there. Now I regret not getting the H&S kit with the EDGE.

did you turn the key to on and wait 15 seconds for the cel to start flashing then start it up? bc i have had no problem w/ mine throwing a cel
Old 11-22-2008, 05:09 PM

I wait 15 seconds every time I start it. The egr and egr cooler have been deleted, those are the two codes that it throws. The dpf-r module deletes them on startup and sometimes the cel stays off, but most of the time the cel will come on within minutes.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:12 PM

if you look on youtube there are a few video's of guys that have put up of their trucks with the deletes! there is a ton of turbo noise are they all like this?? or is there an exhaust that makes its throaty like the 5.9's are?
Old 11-22-2008, 08:54 PM

That turbo noise is the exhaust brake with a straight pipe. My dpf-r kit just deleted the dpf and the NOx filter but the exhaust brake still sounds like a jet. Love the sound, I hope deleting the stock downpipe with the cat makes it even louder.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:06 PM

By deleting the EGR i meant actually getting rid of the EGR solonoid on the intake side, blocking it off, blocking off and removing the crossover tube from the cooler, and removing the intake butterfly. I don't know if unplugging the EGR will have the same effect on noise as fully deleting it but it's worth a shot.

If you want a deeper throaty sound you are going to need a straight through muffler like an AeroTurbine or Hushpower. I had an AeroTurbine 4040 on my 6.7L when I had a 4" TBE and loved the sound. It eliminated nearly all of the turbo hiss (the hair dryer sound) at the tailpipe but left a deep throaty grumble. Now i've got a 5" TBE with a muffler from FBD and, while it doesn't filter out as much of the turbo hiss, it sounds even better IMO. Sounds like a big rig. The muffler i've got on there now is the same dimensions as an AeroTurbine 5050XL though, so i've been trying to fight off the urge to buy the 5050XL and see how awesome that would sound.

tonbogue99-when you deleted the EGR cooler you left the servo motor plugged in right? Also you ZIP tied it out of the way somewhere in a manner that allows the servo to still move freely correct? If you unplugged or removed the servo motor from the cooler or it can't properly move through it's range of motion, that could be causing your CEL that won't go away. I've deleted my EGR but not my cooler and have no issues with cleared codes returning.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:22 PM

I did leave the servo plugged in when I deleted the cooler but I can't say the same for the tying it down. I'm glad you brought that up because I completely forgot about it.

Its basically hanging off by one bolt right now swinging around. Maybe the cel comes on when it gets disrupting when it hits something. I'm going to tie it down right now.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:57 AM

It will be louder w/o the stock DP but you will get some drone. I got tired of the drone so I put a 5.9 CAT in front of my muffler. It quieted it down quite a bit but it's still louder than stock. And NO DRONE..... I like it...
Old 11-23-2008, 07:20 AM

Hey Bronco what 5" are you running? I'm thinking of getting the H&S turbo back do you think this kit is worth wild? I think they are like 900 I didn't think that's to horrible and I have the edge so I'm not to worried about the CEL because it'll be cleared anyways!
Old 11-23-2008, 10:40 AM

Im running an FBD 5" TBE from a 5.9L. I had to do a little trimming on it and also had to weld all my sensor bungs but I definately like it. i just did it for looks, though. it doesn't run any different with the 5" TBE than when i had a 4" TBE. The whole reason i went to a 5" TBE is because when i stuck a 6" tip on my 4" tailpipe i didn't like how small it made the rest of the tailpipe look. However i fell in love with the looks of a 6" tip. I looked around and figured i could get the 5" TBE from FBD cheaper than i could get a 5" DPF-back exhaust from one of the big brands so i went with it. I like the sound better and like the looks better so im happy with it. In retrospect, i wish i would have just stuck a 5" tip on my 4" tailpipe and been happy with spending alot less money though...lol

Quick Reply: 6.7 full straight pipe not very loud