3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

6.7 full straight pipe not very loud

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol I know what you mean!!! so what all do you have to do to make the 5.9 exhaust fit??
Old 11-23-2008, 08:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i trimmed some off the downpipe to move the straight pipe up enough so that the straight pipe would hold all my sensors (i have an older Gen 1 BADP DPF delete so i still have all 3 EGT sensors and both o2 sensors in the exhaust) then needed to trim some off the end of the straight pipe and some off the tailpipe to get the muffler to fit. Also most of the hangers they supplied don't fit perfectly but with a little coercing they do the job and the exhaust isn't going anywhere. I would have preferred band clamps to the simple exhaust clamps they supply and may buy some band clamps later on. Aside from that, im happy with it, for a low budget aluminized system. Im sure the downpipe and first 12" of the straight pipe will hold up real well when i go to dual 7" mitre stacks in the next year or so...lol
Old 11-27-2008, 01:28 PM

is there anyway you can get these 6.7 as loud as the 5.9s with straight pipe on it or even close to as loud?
Old 11-27-2008, 03:52 PM

i don't know about others, but my 5" staight was really loud. my neighbors 4 and 5 houses away could be inside the back of their homes and hear me leave under normal throttle. it was just plain loud. so much so that i installed a muffler a week or so ago.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:14 PM

when i had my 4" TBE, before i put the AeroTurbine muffler on it, it was LOUD. I didn't care for it at all so I put the Aero 4040 on it and it sounded great. When I put the 5" TBE on it i didn't even give it a chance straight piped; i just put the muffler on right off the bat. It is still quite loud, but isn't that noticeable inside the cab which is important to me. I could still stand for it to be a little bit quieter but, at this point, im done spending money trying to chase a sound unless i stumble across a phenominal deal on an Aero 5050xl or a Hushpower or something.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:14 PM

well i have a stright pipe with the stock down pipe and it is just a little louder than stock it kinda sounds like it has a aftermarket muffler on it and it aint near as loud as my 06 5.9 straight piped. and i was just wanting to get it to were it sounded as loud as the 5.9. do u really think a differnt 4 inch down pipe will really make that much difference?
Old 11-27-2008, 07:31 PM

what the hell??? when did speaking of the forbidden 6.7L exhaust become ok around here???? I recall having posts deleted for this very topic back when I had my 07' C&C & was told that it wouldn't be tolerated & if we didn't like it we could go elsewhere??? Dusty
Old 11-27-2008, 08:01 PM

that rule was recinded a while back.

hyunsinsone-yes, a straight through downpipe will make THAT much difference. It's not going to have the same tone as your 5.9L because it is a different motor. It will be just as loud if not louder though.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:49 PM

where could i find a replacement 4inch dp for it?
Old 11-28-2008, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Dusty Ratcliff
what the hell??? when did speaking of the forbidden 6.7L exhaust become ok around here???? I recall having posts deleted for this very topic back when I had my 07' C&C & was told that it wouldn't be tolerated & if we didn't like it we could go elsewhere??? Dusty
That's what I thought when I first viewed this thread. I could care less whether it is allowed or not really. Maybe the mods changed their stance or something.
Regardless people are getting great results in MPG's with these kind of mods, which means that our precious non-renewable (at least not for millions of years) resources will be consumed in less time.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by hyunsinsone
where could i find a replacement 4inch dp for it?
A 5.9L 4" downpipe will fit on your turbo flange but im not sure which ones are the right length to mate up to your delete pipe. Also not sure about the H&S or BADP kits but you might want to call them and give them a try.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:41 AM

ok thanks alot
Old 11-28-2008, 10:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the 5" turbo back on my 6.7 from H&S, and I still think it is too quiet. I don't know if it is the muffler that came with it or what. Bronco hound, you said that you put a different muffler on and it made it sound deeper and throatier? What muffler and how much was it? BTW. My truck sounds nothing at all like the ones on You Tube. I think those guys must have pulled the turbo and put a non variable turbo on to get it to sound like that.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by DieselLady
I have the 5" turbo back on my 6.7 from H&S, and I still think it is too quiet. I don't know if it is the muffler that came with it or what. Bronco hound, you said that you put a different muffler on and it made it sound deeper and throatier? What muffler and how much was it? BTW. My truck sounds nothing at all like the ones on You Tube. I think those guys must have pulled the turbo and put a non variable turbo on to get it to sound like that.
When I was running my 4" TBE, i replaced the factory muffler with an AeroTurbine 4040. I LOVED that sound that came from that muffler. Very deep, very throaty, no drone, and no "hair dryer" turbo whine from the tailpipe. When I replaced the 4" exhaust with my current 5" TBE, I just fitted on the generic muffler that came with the kit (which is a Farmboy's Diesel "Budget" 5" kit). It sounds okay. It's quite a bit louder than my 4" system was and the turbo whine is back but I also get alot of turbo whistle when accelerating so it sounds kinda cool. Just not the best sounding at idle. I'd love to put an AeroTurbine 5050xl on and i'm sure i would be EXTREMELY happy with the sound but i just can't justify spending any more money chasing a tone.

If i WERE looking to replace the muffler, though, i wouldn't think twice about an Aeroturbine 5050 or 5050xl. The 5050xl is 30" long which happens to be the same length as the generic muffler on my exhaust right now so that's why i want the XL. Plus im not that into super loud exhausts anymore. Getting old i guess, but i'd rather have the deep, throaty tone that will rip when you hit the throttle but won't wake the dead at idle. If you are looking for louder as well as a better sound, you might want to look into the 5050, which is non-resonated (whereas the 5050xl is internally resonated).
Old 11-28-2008, 12:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BroncoHound
When I was running my 4" TBE, i replaced the factory muffler with an AeroTurbine 4040. I LOVED that sound that came from that muffler. Very deep, very throaty, no drone, and no "hair dryer" turbo whine from the tailpipe. When I replaced the 4" exhaust with my current 5" TBE, I just fitted on the generic muffler that came with the kit (which is a Farmboy's Diesel "Budget" 5" kit). It sounds okay. It's quite a bit louder than my 4" system was and the turbo whine is back but I also get alot of turbo whistle when accelerating so it sounds kinda cool. Just not the best sounding at idle. I'd love to put an AeroTurbine 5050xl on and i'm sure i would be EXTREMELY happy with the sound but i just can't justify spending any more money chasing a tone.

If i WERE looking to replace the muffler, though, i wouldn't think twice about an Aeroturbine 5050 or 5050xl. The 5050xl is 30" long which happens to be the same length as the generic muffler on my exhaust right now so that's why i want the XL. Plus im not that into super loud exhausts anymore. Getting old i guess, but i'd rather have the deep, throaty tone that will rip when you hit the throttle but won't wake the dead at idle. If you are looking for louder as well as a better sound, you might want to look into the 5050, which is non-resonated (whereas the 5050xl is internally resonated).
Thanks for the info. I am with you. Right now I can't justify spending the money, but I really miss the deep throaty sound of my old 99. Not as loud would be good, but right now it sounds too "hissy" for me. Although I love the turbo whine.
thanks again.
Betty

Quick Reply: 6.7 full straight pipe not very loud