3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

6.7 Cummins Vs. LBZ Duramax

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 11:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 48re and hate it. I have around 90k on it and it still performs fine but the shift logic is flat out retarded. It never shifts the same way twice while pulling. Some times when you are on the throttle hard accelerating with a load it will shift into OD way to early(around 45-50) and other times it wont shift into OD even when you are up to 65 on flat ground and light on the throttle. I will NEVER own anouther 48re again. I seriously hope to be able to keep the truck and convert it to a 6speed. The truck is my perfect dream truck untill I hook it to my camper. I had an 04.5 with a 6speed and it pulled like a freight train and this thing wastes so much power its incredible. I tell everyone its like taking a swift kick to the nuts, it hurts so much to pull with this auto compared to my previouse 6 speed. The engine breaking with this auto is a complete joke. with my 6 speed I could slow the camper down or hold it back on a grade with this auto even the smallest loads push it down a hill. The thing is suposed to down shift while in tow haul mode to help slow ya down. It downshifts way to late and does not do anything to slow ya down. The thing down shifts one last time at around 20 MPH or 1000RPM and only goes up abought 100-200 RPM and only holds it for abought litterly 1 or 2 secdonds before it just completely unlocks and lets ya roll. If anyone wants this pile of garbage Ille trade you for a 6speed and all the goodies to do the swap.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read a few posts...... A STOCK truck will do just fine with a 48RFE. However, if you pull HEAVY you WILL have probelms. If you tow heavy with an Allison...no problem. Shifting is faster on a 48 but who cares unless you dragrace. An Allison trans behind a stock truck should last at least 300k under ANY conditions. The rebuild or replacement of an Allison is not 5 or 6k if you know who to speak with. If you think the Allison is junk...go look under a 4500 or 5500 Dodge. The Asian transmission is built almost EXACTLY like an Allison.

FYI, I've had 3 GMC's and 3 Dodges ......

GMC Pros Ride, interior, egronomics, bed height, parts, strong motor and an EASY DATA stream.
GMC's Cons Low ride height....

Dodge Pros Cummins!!! nuf said! Mega Cab
Dodge Cons (for what I do/have done) Trans is crap, body parts are so-so, parts are high, DATA stream is a PIA, dealers suck, all parts are made cheap.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:01 PM

In response to Burner's comments:
The 2008 Megacab's transmission you drive is crap? - I believe most put the new 6 speed auto right up there with the Allison.
I was raised in a pro CHEVROLET family with a father who was the general manager of a chevy dealership for 20+ years. I hate to break it to you, but chevrolet has more cons than you listed. Not that Dodge is better. I just wouldn't say that the Dodges are more problematic than Chevy's. I have several family members and friends that are Chevrolet owners that would probably argue with you (body and interior parts that are crappy, problematic, high priced, etc. Chevy's that have done everything from 6.5's that ran for 425,000 in the family dozer service to one's (6.5's and 6.6's) that wouldn't make it 10,000 without leaving you stranded). - kind of sounds like the dodge's on this board doesn't it?
Old 08-30-2009, 01:31 PM

I was talking about the 48 not the 68rfe. The 48 gear ratios just don't work under heavy loads. 1st gear is to high and 4th is fine until you hit a hill. Running 70-72 HEAVY and ya hit a hill...it just doesn't work. Now, if you have more power and the trans is built, no problems.

Where is your engine oil filter, in the pan or on the side of the motor? Where is your transmission filter, in the pan or external? Speaking of pans... where is the drain bolt? Hell, where is the drain on the rear diff cover?
That's what I'm talking about 'cheap' on the little things. I now have a PML covers for both but I still wish the dang trans filter(s) were on the outside.

And yes, I am NOT happy with Dodge. 3 trucks and not one that gets ANY kind of MPG. I even took all the "stuff" off the 08' and have MARCO programing and yet I cannot break 13 MPG.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Whatever
I have a thread just like this over at thedieselplace.com and I wanted to get the opinions of the 6.7 cummins owners as well...

From what I've read the LBZ is the best Duramax you can get before they added all the emissions stuff. One big turnoff to the Chevy/GM 2500's is the low ride height. I like the fact that on both the Fords and the Dodges you can add a 2" levelling kit and run 35" tires with no problem. That's my only real complaint with this truck. I know these motors are very stout and can handle some crazy power and the Allison with just transgo jr. shift kit can take up to a 100HP tune reliably.

Admittedly I am a very big fan of the Cummins engine, however I refuse to get a 5.9 because the 48RE is a piece of crap and I'm not shifting gears in a daily driven truck. The 6.7's are attached to a new 6 speed auto unit which has proven itself to be very solid so far, however along with it comes all the emissions crap. I know the new Smarty programmer allows you to delete the EGR and DPF, but every two years I would still have to return it to stock for emissions testing.

Anyone have experience with both trucks? Any input is appreciated...
Your way off on the 48re you just have to take care of it and they will last a long time
Old 08-30-2009, 08:26 PM

if you cant get more than 13mpg out of your 08 i think the issue maybe the right foot behind the monster. i just went on a 500 mile trip with my 07.5, 4 inch lift, 37" tires, banks intake and dpf back exhaust...all emissions "stuff" intact and i averaged 19mpg cruising at 78mph.....

the problem isnt the truck from my opinion and i've had 6 of these dodge's. and after 6 i can say that the 68rfe is a solid trans, much better than the 48rfe. and as for the aisin under the cab and chassis. people compare it to the allison.....yes in some ways they are similar but there are many differences. the aisin has bigger parts and less moving parts.....

P.S. and i can still rock my aisin when i get stuck...
Old 08-30-2009, 10:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No offence but there aint no way your getting 19 MPG at 78 MPH. Flat out not happening. Most cant get 19 MPG at any speed let alone 78. If I drive my 5.9 78 empty the best I could hope for is maybe 15 but thats probobly a little high. I just returned from a 2500 mile trip pulling 3 atvs on a small single axle trailer and 1 in the box at 70 I averaged 12.5 hand calculated and 10.5-11 at 75. A month ago I did a 1000 mile round trip in 2 days and empty at 70 I only got 17-18.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:41 PM

White, I drove 1,300 miles from Thursday just after lunch, 12:30, until Friday night. My AVG speed was about 61 MPH. Tell you what, YOU drive the truck from point A to B in a given time and if you can get 18MPG I'll pay for the fuel and give you 100 bucks. In the event it doesn't..... you figure how to make 17MPG happen with it.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:38 AM

back on topic about the trannies, i talked to my tranny shop about the differences between the 2 trannys, cause i was always a chevy guy. he had a chevy at that time, an 06, and i had my 03 dodge. we use to play alot, and i had to mod my truck more to beat him, and had to stay a few steps ahead to keep beating the d max, they are fast right out of the box.
anyway, he showed me the size of the shafts inside a allison, and they are bigger in size, but then he showed me the clutches and they are very small compared. his tranny use to go into limp mode everytime. he built my tranny in my dodge and told me they are the better tranny from what he has seen. they are both decent in stock form, take care of them and they will treat you good. but when it comes to modding the trannies, the dodge tranny has the upper hand as you can get better converters, and shafts for them, and have lots of holding power with the larger clutches, as the allison you can't get bigger clutches.
that said, i guess it depends on the ride, and fuel mileage, they are all nice trucks, i love my dodge, but if i could i would own all 3.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by white Lightning
the aisin has bigger parts and less moving parts.....
neither of those statements are true. The aisin has an overrunning clutch I beleive, so that right there makes it more complicated. The allison has zero overruninng/freewheeling anything.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:47 PM

bkrukow...... as much as you would like to argue with me you wouldn't knowseeing as how you do have a 6.9 and i do believe i have 2 more gears than you.....and as far as the aisin allison compare....google it
Old 12-03-2011, 06:52 AM

Smile

I had my 06 for five years with auto. 93500 and no problems. Actually the only problems with the truck that I ever had was the front end upgrade and the little old lady that blew through the red light which tottalled it out. Lol
Old 12-03-2011, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
I agree with many of you on the last couple of pages that the 48RE tranny in the Dodge CTD CR Trucks is a GOOD transmission as long as you upgrade them. I have a 2006 Dodge CTD CR with a Stage VI "ATS Transmission." The tranny has been in the truck for over 100,000 miles now with NO PROBLEMS whatsoever! The tranny shifts good, it pulls great (10,000lbs+) and my truck is at about 520 H.P. right now.

---------
John_P
Old 12-04-2011, 09:35 AM

Hey guys, it took bringing my 48re to someone that actually knows what to do and look for to get it right, and of course alot of money. What was found in my tranny as well as some others were that the clutch packs were actually built for a gasser. There was another 04 truck that came in behind mine a week later that was done the same way, it was a mess up at Dodge. The previous two shops that had rebuilt my tranny were just rebuilding it the way it came out and putting a billet converter in front. The clutches couldn't hold up to the torque. This time we have FULLY built tranny, billet shafts, GM solenoid, billet converter, mag Hy pan, it was a costly build, especially seeing as this is the third time. The shop I used is building great trannys including the one in the Max'd out truck. I got to see him pull apart a 48re and the technology in it would almost be compared to something alone the lines of a turbo 350 or turbo 400, late 1960's-1970's with some electronics included. Just not as bullet proof as the turbo 400's LOL
Old 01-01-2012, 02:00 PM

Ok, so I no nothing about the Allison trans,but can tell you that after buying a superchips tuner at 80k the trans gave out in 5000 miles. Had trans fully built ($5000) later and then a bullydog triple dog run crazy larry no problems still with 154000 and counting. Also I always average 22mpg. So how much hp increase can the 68re hold over stock. Im in the market for a 07-09 mega cab dually. Dont do any towing just a daily driver to mod and look cool.
Lot of opinions on here but looking for advise.

Quick Reply: 6.7 Cummins Vs. LBZ Duramax