3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

6.7 Cummins Vs. LBZ Duramax

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whatever, you are making the right choice. Here is why. I have had all the trans you have mentioned. I had a 2004.5 Cummins with a 48RE and that trans never missed a beat. I ran that truck with a Bullydog on Performance setting for 70,000 miles and I had 100% confidence in that trans when I sold it at 92,000 miles. The converter still locked strong and the shifts were the same as when it was new. All I ever did was change the oil and filter and adjust the bands, ONCE.
I also bought a 2006 Duramax LBZ / Allison to play with (RCLB 2WD) and kept the Dodge. That truck ran 15.10 at 89 MPH pure stock tires and all. Could not launch with any boost at all. The allison was nice with the 6 speeds and all and I felt it was a strong and durable trans. I had Mike at Englewood trans put a Transgo Shift kit in it and the QUAD/SYN fluid in it. BUT, I hated the shift quality of that trans. Stock or with the shift kit. As it advances through the gears some of the shifts are lightning quick with no interruption of power. But a couple of the shifts are Hokey to say the least. The way Mike explained it, as it gets ready to shift to the next gear, it actually starts SLIPPING the current gear that it is in totally interrupting the flow of power and then it engauges the next gear. So it feels like the 2/3 overlap in an older 727 trans or kind of like it is slipping or rpm flaring up between gears. I hate that feeling and I will never like it. Even after learning the technical analisys of what was happening I still did not like it. Who wants their trans to slip? Also there is a lot of defueling at that time (if you are on it) and it just exaggerates that feeling. So, the allison is a great trans, but I hated the shift quality.

So I ended up selling the chevy and kept my 04.5 Dodge.

Then about 4 months ago, I bought a 09 6.7 Cummins with the 68RFE. I cannot say enough about this trans. The shift quality is WAY BETTER than the allison. I basically love it, and I have had a lot of full race automatic transmissions etc. I think a couple of the shifts are similar to what the allison is doing (but not sure) but they are so quick. They just snap, and are not this long drawn out sequence where I feel like I need to let off the gas pedal to help the trans shift (allison). If you stand on it there is some noticable defueling but the shifts are lightning quick. The truck is pure stock right now and I have no intention of modding anytime soon. I also think that the programming of the shift sequence and shift timing is as close to perfect of any trans I have ever had. If Dodge engineering asked me if I had any suggestions or wanted to change anything, I am afraid I could not come up with suggestions.

So, for me it's 68RFE all the way and I will never look back.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:04 PM

If a Cummin's is used to run the quartermile and holder all the lastest records whats the beef about a tranny,the tranny would have to reliable for even the stock's CT's.I don't know why all the huppla,you buy what you like,not what other's like.LBZ I don't if it's all that more advance,in hill tow climbs with max tow,Dodge is so much derated to the Ford and the GM trucks,in tow,so if that is a sign of weakness or lack of support Dodge engineering would have gone out to either a)redeign a whole new lineup of tranny's or b) contracted out the best or near the best of tranny's that done now, Dodge's latest HD tranny by Asian is so far bulletproof in a rather large cailber way.I do think there now is not much difference in preformance between the Big 3.Warrenty wide data will only show the difference in your claim if it holds water to the dam.That data my friends decide this issue of Ram tough transmissions.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hope you get the cummins.. Transmissions and which are better is a touchy subject because honestly non of the big 3 have trannies capable of handling a modded diesel. They cant handle the torque and the factories sure arent gonna put billet in them. Our trucks would have ferrari price tags. All in all, my 48 is modded but i have seen many of my stock friends put there tranny through its paces. Some break but you pay to play. IMO i would rather have a 48 than the over computer controlled allison. Make too much power on a stock ally and she will throw you into limp mode and you better be ok w only 3rd gear.. lol
Old 07-12-2009, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by TrkEnvy
Hope you get the cummins.. Transmissions and which are better is a touchy subject because honestly non of the big 3 have trannies capable of handling a modded diesel. They cant handle the torque and the factories sure arent gonna put billet in them. Our trucks would have ferrari price tags. All in all, my 48 is modded but i have seen many of my stock friends put there tranny through its paces. Some break but you pay to play. IMO i would rather have a 48 than the over computer controlled allison. Make too much power on a stock ally and she will throw you into limp mode and you better be ok w only 3rd gear.. lol
Supposedly the new 6.4 Ford has a stout tranny. People are running over 500rwhp through their completely stock transmissions.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:48 PM

2years and 30k on my Stock 48RE running smarty on 3-5. I change the fluid once a year. Coincidently I had the fluid changed today and the tech says that everything looks and operates very well.

I am happy with the 48 RE
Old 07-13-2009, 11:37 PM

i dont know that much about the 6.7, but my dad has an 06 6spd that is the strongest stock truck i have ever driven.i have acouple of friends that have new d maxs that really like them.i think the differnce is what you want out of the truck.i think dd and occational pulling both would be great.that being said,i think if your looking for big power,or a sled puller if your not running cummins your running at the back.it kind of cracks me up how the dmax crowd is in such denial.you dont see any d maxs running down the track head to head with curt haisley,or any of the other big boys.all cummins at the top of those leader boards.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bighorse
if your looking for big power,or a sled puller if your not running cummins your running at the back.it kind of cracks me up how the dmax crowd is in such denial.you dont see any d maxs running down the track head to head with curt haisley,or any of the other big boys.all cummins at the top of those leader boards.
someone should quick tell all the big cummins guys to stop throwing money into their trucks and R&D to go faster and further; the dmax's and PSD's are so far back in the dust that the cummins guys can probably just save all their money and effort and run the same setup they ran 5 years ago.

must get mighty boring in the cummins world, there being no goals left to reach or people to chase after or anything. Glad I have a duramax, cause I dont like boring.

ben
Old 07-14-2009, 12:42 AM

On another Dodge board that I belong to there is a guy who runs an independent transmission shop. Before the 68re came out he stated that the 48re was the most durable diesel trans on the market. He had nothing good to say about the Ford tranny, and although there were things he liked about the Allison, he said it was more prone to breakage, and cost twice as much to fix as the 48re. My brother in law has an 05 DMax with the Alisson and I have driven it a couple times. It is a nice truck and the interior is really fancy. However, he has problems with overheating and some rattles in the cab which I understand are common traits on that year. As far a driving goes, I like my truck better. My Dodge has more pulling power at the lower RPMs. I like my 48re and have had zero problems with it or with any other part of the truck. The only thing that bothers me at all about the transmission is that sometimes if you really stomp on the go pedal it will shift down to far and hit the rev limiter and hang there for a second before it up shifts and goes. When it does up shift though, it goes like H.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:53 PM

My interest in the older common rail cummins trucks has risen a bit since the Smarty Programmer is undetectable in those vehicles. What is the drivetrain warranty on the 06-07 trucks?
Old 07-16-2009, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Whatever
My interest in the older common rail cummins trucks has risen a bit since the Smarty Programmer is undetectable in those vehicles. What is the drivetrain warranty on the 06-07 trucks?
Oops, I thought there might be something interesting here. Sorry
Old 07-20-2009, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Whatever
3 year 36,000 mile bumper to bumper, and 7 years 100,000 on the motor i believe
Old 07-20-2009, 03:02 PM

Hey Whatever,

I have the 07.5 megacab drw with over 61K miles bone stock and love this truck. I was mostly a GM and Ford fan before buying my 1st diesel which was an 04 qc 2500. After driving that truck for several years I needed more cab room with my 2 teen boys so I bought the 07.5 MC and it's been a great truck. I have had no emision problems at all and I do a lot of city driving but I do mixed highway as well. I tow an 11K 5th wheel from Texas to Colorado and Wyoming (Yellowstone) and have got nothing but great things to say about the 6 speed auto with the EB don't forget. I love the cab room of the Mega and my wife and boys love it even more thank God. The Cummins has made a believer out of me as well as the tranny and the rest of the truck has been very solid. I had more small problems with both my Ford and 03 2500HD then i've had with both Dodge trucks so as others will say that the Dodge is the problem not the engine is just plain wrong.

Good Luck with your decision!
Old 07-20-2009, 03:05 PM

Also I tryied to find your post at Dieselplace but had no luck. Were is it posted and what title? I just wanted to see what the dieselplace folks had to say about the Dodge but I probably can figure it out.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:57 PM

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=315889

That is where the thread is. They weren't that bad really. I'm still all over the place in my thinking. I'm semi-considering a 6.4L Powestroke simply because the transmission seems **** near bullet proof. People are running over 500 RWHP through them with 10k+ miles and they are still holding up strong. Downfalls are you have to pull the cab off the truck to do any major work to the engine. I'm curious to see what the 68FRE will be able to stand up to once someone throws an upgraded valve body and torque converter in one... I have time and I like the research the crap out of things before I buy anyway.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
You consider replacing an Injector major engine work?

That, and the really, really bad fuel mileage, and it would take no time at all to pay for a bulletproof 48RE or 68RE.

Sorry, that's my take on it at least.

Quick Reply: 6.7 Cummins Vs. LBZ Duramax