3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

6.7 Cummins Vs. LBZ Duramax

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.7 Cummins Vs. LBZ Duramax

I have a thread just like this over at thedieselplace.com and I wanted to get the opinions of the 6.7 cummins owners as well...

From what I've read the LBZ is the best Duramax you can get before they added all the emissions stuff. One big turnoff to the Chevy/GM 2500's is the low ride height. I like the fact that on both the Fords and the Dodges you can add a 2" levelling kit and run 35" tires with no problem. That's my only real complaint with this truck. I know these motors are very stout and can handle some crazy power and the Allison with just transgo jr. shift kit can take up to a 100HP tune reliably.

Admittedly I am a very big fan of the Cummins engine, however I refuse to get a 5.9 because the 48RE is a piece of crap and I'm not shifting gears in a daily driven truck. The 6.7's are attached to a new 6 speed auto unit which has proven itself to be very solid so far, however along with it comes all the emissions crap. I know the new Smarty programmer allows you to delete the EGR and DPF, but every two years I would still have to return it to stock for emissions testing.

Anyone have experience with both trucks? Any input is appreciated...
Old 07-08-2009, 12:31 AM

Whoever told you the 48RE is a piece of crap is dead wrong. They are great transmissions, and will take a lot of abuse. There was a thread in the Towing/Hauling section asking about how the 48RE handles heavy loads, and quite a few guys tow around 15K on a bone stock tranny with no problems.

Out of curiosity, what have you heard that is bad about the transmission?

I'm not so sure about an Allison with just a shift kit handling a 100hp tune, but I really don't know a lot about the transmission, but I have read a lot about them not liking power levels much above stock.

I know a lot of guys on here absolutely love their 6.7's and I'd be willing to bet the stock 6.7 would feel a bit more powerful than the stock Duramax. Due to newer technology.

My brothers Common Rail with the 48RE has been fantastic. Granted it is built, but all the previous owner did with the truck was tow, tow and tow. It has taken the abuse very well, and I personally think they are great transmissions.

If I were you, i would try and get some input from people who have 48RE's as well, if you haven't already.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:14 AM

I've been researching and talking to people about diesel pickups for the last few years and I've never heard anyone say something positive about the 48RE. I know you can have one built with a heavy duty converter and all the billet parts and make them bombproof, but I'm not looking for a race truck. From everything I have read and all the people I have talked to, there is a reason why a lot of Dodge owners prefer the 6 speed manual to the auto, and that's because the auto is prone to failure.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
There are just as many people who have killed their stock Allisons, and we won't even go into the whole TorkShift thing.

Who said anything about building a race truck? If you want an Auto, spend just a bit, put nothing more than a good Converter and a VB in there, and go have fun. I cannot diss the Isuzu, nor their tranny, but my personal like is a straight front axle, thus the Cummins....
Old 07-08-2009, 07:51 AM
Banned

did you really expect to get the same answer here as you did at the diesel place???
Old 07-08-2009, 08:07 AM

I really like the lbz. It runs really well, I drove a new 09 6.7 before I decided to buy my 01, it was o.k. but, it felt like my 05 lly duramax stock. As far as the ride height goes yeah, if you want to offroad it then its bad but, if you work it then thats a whole lot better.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Whatever
I've been researching and talking to people about diesel pickups for the last few years and I've never heard anyone say something positive about the 48RE. I know you can have one built with a heavy duty converter and all the billet parts and make them bombproof, but I'm not looking for a race truck. From everything I have read and all the people I have talked to, there is a reason why a lot of Dodge owners prefer the 6 speed manual to the auto, and that's because the auto is prone to failure.
I find it hard to believe that in all those years of research, you haven't found anyone who likes their 48RE. I could spend 10 min. on here and find a bunch of people who chose their 48RE over a manual, and love it.

I think the Allison is a great transmission in stock form, along with the 48RE. However, if you plan on adding power, be it to a Cummins or Duramax, the stock tranny will be the weak point, becasue it was supposed to habdle stock power. the only complaints I hear about Dodge trannies are from people who double or triple their stock rwhp and don't upgrade their tranny, and blow it in the process. What a junk tranny though, huh?

It seems to me that you have already made up your mind. Go with the Chevy/Duramax, add a tuner, and when your tranny blows, complain about what a piece of junk it is.

If you want to know how an Allison works, I suggest either shooting "duratothemax" a PM, or reading through some of his posts. Some very interesting information, if you don't know how an Ally works.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:07 AM
HOV

The 48RE is simple and stout.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:15 AM

I don't expect the same answer here as I got over there, which is why I am getting opinions from both sides. I haven't made up my mind either way, and as stated I love the Cummins engine, just leery of the 48RE, which is why I am leaning towards the 07.5+ with the 68FRE. It seems both the cummins and the Duramax are the strongest engines out of the big three offerings, what it comes down to from there is the rest of the truck and drivetrain. Looks go to the Dodge for me, interior comfort and quality probably goes to the Chevy, suspension goes to Dodge, 68FRE vs. Allison is a close draw. What it comes down to the in end if I want to deal with the emissions every two years with a stock DPF truck. I've heard great things about the new dodges once the emissions stuff is deleted and a good friend of mine has a 08 with a manual and a dpf delete and he loves it.

Maybe I need to look into the 48RE's a bit more but I know people who have had them grenade on them at stock power levels...
Old 07-08-2009, 10:46 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have no experience with the Ally's other than i know their reputation. I've had a lot of experience with some truly cruddy Ford and Chevy trannys dating back to the mid 80's. Five trannys in my 92 Bronco alone.

That said, I am not saying "I love my 48re", but I can say I had over 100k miles on a stock tranny and 100hp upgrade and a lot of towing and had zero issues. Then I bombed the truck, had my tranny rebuilt by Goerend's (even though it was still working perfectly) I am over 700 hp on another 40k miles still towing a fair amount with the high HP and not a single issue. I'd have to say in all fairness this 48re has been the most reliable auto tranny I've had. It would also be fair to state that I have abused this tranny more than any other.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:23 AM
ICL

I have two trucks with the 48re. Combined they have over 370,000 kms and no problems. Both trucks have been worked hard over the years.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:54 AM
HOV

I don't expect the same answer here as I got over there, which is why I am getting opinions from both sides. I haven't made up my mind either way, and as stated I love the Cummins engine, just leery of the 48RE, which is why I am leaning towards the 07.5+ with the 68FRE. It seems both the cummins and the Duramax are the strongest engines out of the big three offerings, what it comes down to from there is the rest of the truck and drivetrain. Looks go to the Dodge for me, interior comfort and quality probably goes to the Chevy, suspension goes to Dodge, 68FRE vs. Allison is a close draw. What it comes down to the in end if I want to deal with the emissions every two years with a stock DPF truck. I've heard great things about the new dodges once the emissions stuff is deleted and a good friend of mine has a 08 with a manual and a dpf delete and he loves it.

Maybe I need to look into the 48RE's a bit more but I know people who have had them grenade on them at stock power levels...
I used to have an LLy Duramax. My thoughts on both trucks:

Dodge pros:

Solid front axle
CTD is a rock solid, time-proven, tough as nails motor
CTD is not a knucklebuster, easy to mod and work on
5.9L CTD has no EGR, VVT, DPF, or any other emissions devices
Megacab if you're into that kind of thing
Console area on 06+ has better storage than Chevy
17" wheels
4" exhaust stock

Dodge cons:

A/C can be bad
48RE is not as refined as the Allison, not as many gears
Shortbed is 2.5" shorter than Chevy short bed
Usually need special Dodge adaptors to install 5th wheel hitch

Chevy pros:

LBZ Duramax is a solid motor, fast and powerful
Allison transmission refined, smooth
Good A/C

Chevy cons:

16" wheels w/donut tires stock
3" exhaust stock
Duramax is a godforsaken plastic-shrouded knucklebuster. Good luck trying to fit a wrench in there anywhere.
Allison cuts out over speed bumps (my experience)
Extended cab models tend to be squeaky around the suicide doors

You really can't lose with either truck. I believe stock for stock, I'd go with an LBZ Duramax. But for modding, I'd go for the CTD just for the pure ease of getting under the hood.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:32 PM

how is the 48re prone to failer? At stock power levels and regular maintaince it will last a long time. go bash the 48re somewhere else and buy a dmax and when the allison craps out have fun spending 5-6k on a new one. i sold my 6 speed dodge for the 48re and has been trouble free after 2 years of hauling heavy trailers and commercial snow plowing.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:31 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The Allison needs a Shiftkit to handle 100HP increase? I thought the Allison was light years ahead of the 48RE? I've been running +100 for close to 30,000 miles on my STOCK 48RE.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:10 PM

You guys are way too sensitive, I've read MANY 48RE failure threads on TDR, I guess everyone here has bulletproof trannies... I'm looking for info not attitude.

Quick Reply: 6.7 Cummins Vs. LBZ Duramax