3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

6.7 Cummins Vs. LBZ Duramax

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injectors, head gasket, turbo, etc... Really, really bad fuel mileage is overcome with a tuner. The guys running the Spartan 275HP tune are getting 18-20 MPG, and the more impressive thing is the transmission is holding up to the power. There are trade-offs to every truck, I'm just looking at all of them with an open mind until I find the one that I think will be the best for me.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:29 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
God bless ya man, I have to say, for my BIL, I recommended the Duramax, but with an aftermarket fuel filtration setup. That was specifically because he tows to shows and has to haul his wife. That, and ( at the time ) all the flashes that were being done to the Cummins made me comfortable doing so.

He kept his 97 12V for the real work though.

Let us know what you end up with.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:07 PM

I'm all over the place with my thinking to be honest. Duramax is at the bottom of my list. It's kind of a three way tie between the new 6.4L Powerstroke, the 6.7 Cummins, and a 5.9 Cummins. They all have pro's and con's that kind of make them even out. Part of me is leaning more towards the 5.9 simply because I never have to worry about emissions and I can put a built tranny in it cheaper than any other tranny on the market. Plus I can get one cheap from Manheim through a friend of mine. Decisions, decisions...
Old 08-18-2009, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by peobryant
and I'd be willing to bet the stock 6.7 would feel a bit more powerful than the stock Duramax. Due to newer technology.

That is where you are wrong! We run several Duramaxes and sever Cummins with the 6.7, the Duramaxes will out pull the Cummins!!

I say that and I drive an 08 Dodge with the 6.7. And got beat by both an 02 and an 08 Duramax. The 08 is stock, the 02 has an Edge set at +50 hp.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:15 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I heard the 2010 LML is supposed to have 390/700 stock...
Old 08-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mega-engr
I heard the 2010 LML is supposed to have 390/700 stock...
yeah something like that. We will probably see it arrive at dealers end of January 2010 or so... Until then all of the "2010" model year GM trucks that are at the dealers right now will have the current 365hp/660tq LMM...

ben
Old 08-19-2009, 03:14 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Sounds similar to Dodge having 2 motors in their 2007 year. The LML is supposed to have the urea injection, so I imagine there is a difference in emmisions for the same year...

Wonder how they're going to get around having two different motors with different emmisions compliance in the same year when it comes to testing.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:31 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Originally Posted by duratothemax
someone should quick tell all the big cummins guys to stop throwing money into their trucks and R&D to go faster and further; the dmax's and PSD's are so far back in the dust that the cummins guys can probably just save all their money and effort and run the same setup they ran 5 years ago.

must get mighty boring in the cummins world, there being no goals left to reach or people to chase after or anything. Glad I have a duramax, cause I dont like boring.

ben
Funny.. Sarcastic but funny
Old 08-19-2009, 08:35 PM

All of the new Engines will be at 400 HP and 700+ TQ by 2012...... The Cummins is already Derated for the Dodge application. 700+ TQ is easy....just not good on the Fuel Mileage ....... Just wait and get a new 6.7l Crew LB and you will be happy.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:18 AM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Originally Posted by txdutchman
That is where you are wrong! We run several Duramaxes and sever Cummins with the 6.7, the Duramaxes will out pull the Cummins!!

I say that and I drive an 08 Dodge with the 6.7. And got beat by both an 02 and an 08 Duramax. The 08 is stock, the 02 has an Edge set at +50 hp.
On the track they will smoke ya.. They weigh a heck of alot less then you. On a hill with a heavy load is were you win the race.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mega-engr
Sounds similar to Dodge having 2 motors in their 2007 year. The LML is supposed to have the urea injection, so I imagine there is a difference in emmisions for the same year...

Wonder how they're going to get around having two different motors with different emmisions compliance in the same year when it comes to testing.
The way the govt is setting the rules is you "cant make any [non-2010-compliant] engines after January 1st, 2010". You can sell [non-2010-compliant engines] any leftover/existing engines after Jan 1st though.

So what GM is doing is cranking up production on the LMM dmax's so they have a huge stockpile when January 1st rolls around. That way they can keep selling existing dmax's and buy themselves an extra month or two to put the finishing touches and final testing on the LML dmax, which they will release end of January/beginning of February.

Thats how they are "bending the rules" kinda. Make sense? The 6.7 doesnt have this issue because it already meets 2010 standards. But before you guys all go :, you need to remember that the base design for the LMM is 10 years old now. GM is the only mfg that was able to keep up with the 2004 and 2007 emissions standards changes without changing anything big on the engine. (ford had to go from the 7.3 to the 6.0 to the 6.4, dodge had to go from the 24v to the CR to the 6.7)

the new dmax will still be 6.6, and single turbo. The long block is very similar to the current dmax, the only massive redesign being in the oil cooling and pistons, which is really the only place the LMM needed a big redesign. Yes the new LML ones do look like a cluster**** under the hood because they have extra piping and dual EGR coolers, but (luckilly) still nowhere near as messy as the current 6.4 ford. So for the next couple years at least, there wont be any engine repair procedures in the GM service manual that start with "remove cab".

ben
Old 08-22-2009, 10:07 AM

Think if i was buying a new truck it would be the Lmm duramax or 6.4 ford. They are some nice trucks and, with efi live or a spartan 275 tune either one is running close to high 12s. I love my dodge/cummins but the new chevy and fords are really nice.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:06 PM

i dont know but i drove a new 6.4l the other day and i own two dodges with the 6.7l and the 68rfe. and i think that the torqshift is a slush box. slides in and out of gear, doesnt know where it wants to be. plus i know many guys running that new ford who have had nothing but issues, and about the cab coming off. a simple part such as an egr valve the cab has to come off for.

Love my dodges and will never go back to anything else. lined up with an 05 dodge 5.9l 48rfe yesterday with my 07 6.7l 68rfe pickup on a 6% grade from 40mph. the 05 was equipped with an e-z edge set at 70hp and a 5' turbo back exhaust and a banks intake. it was a half mile hill and by the top i had about 7 lenghts on him
Old 08-25-2009, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by white Lightning
i dont know but i drove a new 6.4l the other day and i own two dodges with the 6.7l and the 68rfe. and i think that the torqshift is a slush box. slides in and out of gear, doesnt know where it wants to be. plus i know many guys running that new ford who have had nothing but issues, and about the cab coming off. a simple part such as an egr valve the cab has to come off for.

Love my dodges and will never go back to anything else. lined up with an 05 dodge 5.9l 48rfe yesterday with my 07 6.7l 68rfe pickup on a 6% grade from 40mph. the 05 was equipped with an e-z edge set at 70hp and a 5' turbo back exhaust and a banks intake. it was a half mile hill and by the top i had about 7 lenghts on him
Funny, I had a 07+ 6.7 try to keep up with me driving back from Golden B.C.
These grades are minimum 6% or more through the Rockies.

Let's just say he did pass me, when I pulled over for a washroom break.

I know I was running a whole lot cooler than he was with my smarty on 5. either that or he was in regen.... tsk tsk.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:35 PM

I'd have to agree with white Lightning on the Torqshift having owned both it and the Allison. Not a fan of the 48RE, because of the only 4 gears, I haven't driven the 68rfe so I can't weigh in on it, but it sounds like I should from the comments I keep seeing on here.

I'm leaning toward a 6.7L for my next truck because I'm not so sure about the urea deal on the upcoming LML Dmax and the new Ford motor. All I can say is my LBZ is the best diesel I've ever owned, it's strong, fast and has great fuel economy.

Quick Reply: 6.7 Cummins Vs. LBZ Duramax