3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

#2 Injector Failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
#2 Injector Failure

Thought I would share this with all you...the masterful minds of the Cummins world.

My truck 07' 5.9L with 19500KM, through a code as I was driving down the highway. I was going to turn off anyway to hit a Tim Hortons, so I did, and ended up dying in the parking lot. Got out to an absolute oilslick of a mess from the Oil Overflow tube back. From the front diff all the way back to the tailgate was just covered in Oil.

At first, it was dark and oil covered, so I thought I blew out my rear seal, but the next day I was told by Dodge that my number 2 injector failed, stuck open, and filled my crank with diesel to the point it was spewing out the overflow. As a safety, the ECM cuts power to the truck when oil levels get this high.

My question to you fine folks is this...

#1) Was it the Dr.Predator chip that I have that caused this to happen? or is this more common than that?

#2) All the dealership did was change the #2 inj and do an oil change. I then went on my merry way. Any long term damage done here? Did they do everything they should have here in this case?
Old 03-31-2008, 12:12 PM

#1) It's possible. The increased fuel injection pressures caused by the box could have caused the injector to fail. At least that's what Chrysler will say.

#2) No long term damage that you could measure. Obvious bad things can happen when too much fuel is mixed in to the oil, lowering its viscosity (scuffed cylinders and wiped out bearings). They did everything they should have. If you fail a turbo bearing or a short block bearing down the road, you'll know.

P.S. The ECM does not cut power to the truck when the oil level is too high. Maybe when crankcase pressure is too high, but I'll have to look into that. There is no oil level sensor, so how would the ECM know the oil level was rising?
Old 03-31-2008, 12:23 PM

thanks big block for the reply.

With this chip, I am not too worried about the dealership cutting off my warranty. I have already had two failures (Power distribution centre and now this) and they have not even batted an eye at the fact that I may be chipped. It is so easy to pull out before the tow truck pulls her away.

I am glad to hear every measure was taken at the dealership.

It was the dealership who told me the ECM shut the truck down due to the high oil level, that's not to say they were right...

Again, thank you for your input.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:54 PM

That seems to be a relative problem with the predator, I ran one on the 06 mega I owned and while I was towing in West Virginia. it held open one of my injectors and fried the piston. I did not remove it before I went to the dealership and they said it was the only one the mechanic had seen in his 20 years of working on cummins to do that. anyway the long and short is that cummins replaced the engine,(although dodge may have footed the bill) The cummins rep. even called and ask the circumstances, and paid for me to drive a new one for 3 weeks.

Last edited by dawgone; 04-01-2008 at 05:41 AM. Reason: wrong info
Old 03-31-2008, 05:31 PM

Cummins got involved? Interesting as Chrysler buys these engines from Cummins with no warranty.Your post is the one and only I've ever read about such in many years of reading these Dodge forums. The Chrysler DSM(Rep) might have authorized repairs done at a Cummins store of the Dodge store did not have a diesel tech and only way to get repair done.A sublet repair with a P.O. given etc.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:35 PM

Wasn't it Cummins that stepped up in some of the cases of the "53" block cracks and covered the cost of parts on trucks with less than 150,000 miles? I remember the owner had to pay for labor but that was stiil more than DC offered.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:54 PM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

Originally Posted by NewbieDavid
thanks big block for the reply.

With this chip, I am not too worried about the dealership cutting off my warranty. I have already had two failures (Power distribution centre and now this) and they have not even batted an eye at the fact that I may be chipped. It is so easy to pull out before the tow truck pulls her away.

I am glad to hear every measure was taken at the dealership.

It was the dealership who told me the ECM shut the truck down due to the high oil level, that's not to say they were right...

Again, thank you for your input.
Man, I would've given a left lug nut to have a dealership like that. Just don't get over zealous w/ the chip.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:55 PM

Man, I'll skip that chip
Old 04-01-2008, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by 06RAM2500
Man, I would've given a left lug nut to have a dealership like that. Just don't get over zealous w/ the chip.
The dealership has no way to trace it...it falls after the ECM, so long as I pull it out before every visit, I'm fine....no? You have me concerned with the "over zealous" comment...

As for the added HP AND TQ, I have seen many posts that state the stock tranny can handle those added numbers provided by this chip, and it is one of the safest ones out there for a stock tranny...or am I wrong here too?