3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

07 Dodge new to me from tri Lakes in Branson Mo with ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 Dodge new to me from tri Lakes in Branson Mo with ???

Hey, I just traded for a nice looking red 2500 QC w/6.7 w/6spd manual. It has 57k miles. I got to crawlin around under it like I do after I buy something different.Anyway, I nearly ****! when I come to the fuel lines in front of the fuel tank! Both lines have been cut and are now spliced back together with rubber line and hose clamps! There is a 2" hole in the corner of the bed right in that area. Fuel tank in the bed with hidden lines tapped into the stock lines???? Then, After I started breathing again, I really get to lookin! I find two, I think coolant lines at the rear of the motor cut and tee"s installed with two hoses laying on the passenger side inner fender with bolts shoved in them with hose clamps! I"ll say it again, ****!!! Anyone got any ideas what these mods could be from? I think my saleman will be sittin a little tender for a while after I called him! They say they will replace all the involved lines but i"m going nuts wondering what all this was for and what the PO was doing with this truck. It appears to have been well taken care of or I would not have traded for it. Any help would be great! Thanks Mark
Old 12-15-2009, 07:05 PM

Sounds like aux tank and heater lines to run straight veg oil but who knows
Old 12-15-2009, 07:13 PM

Fuel lines definitely from an aux fuel tank, no problems there. Don't have a clue about the coolant lines. Keep us updated!
Old 12-15-2009, 11:03 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by marksblaster
Hey, I just traded for a nice looking red 2500 QC w/6.7 w/6spd manual. It has 57k miles. I got to crawlin around under it like I do after I buy something different.Anyway, I nearly ****! when I come to the fuel lines in front of the fuel tank! Both lines have been cut and are now spliced back together with rubber line and hose clamps! There is a 2" hole in the corner of the bed right in that area. Fuel tank in the bed with hidden lines tapped into the stock lines???? Then, After I started breathing again, I really get to lookin! I find two, I think coolant lines at the rear of the motor cut and tee"s installed with two hoses laying on the passenger side inner fender with bolts shoved in them with hose clamps! I"ll say it again, ****!!! Anyone got any ideas what these mods could be from? I think my saleman will be sittin a little tender for a while after I called him! They say they will replace all the involved lines but i"m going nuts wondering what all this was for and what the PO was doing with this truck. It appears to have been well taken care of or I would not have traded for it. Any help would be great! Thanks Mark
years ago i had a 92 dodge with a insulated cap and a carpet kit. really nice ..... when i hauled the kids around in the winter i installed a wrecking yard automotive heater under one of the bench seats .
of course i had to plumb the heater into the cooling system, it worked real good........any way that may be why your hoses have been tapped
Old 12-16-2009, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree that this may have had an aux fuel tank on the truck. Look for mounting holes in the bed or paint wear on the rails.
I have read on another site and in a diesel mag that some users are running a coolant filter. The coolant lines cuts may have been for this. I would look for mounting holes in this area.
I would also pull and look at the fuel filter to see what condition this is in.
I would also recommend changing all of the filters and fluids in the truck. At 60K the axles oil needs to be change, so I would do it now instead of waiting.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck and tastes like a duck, it must be a duck. The guy was running waste veggie oil. I would do the fuel filter and take it apart to see whats going oil. That would be the least of my worries, my biggest worry would be the injectors and DPF. I've read that WVO does not ignite nearly as well as "regular" diesel on injection events 4 and 5. This causes issues with the diesel particulate filter plugging. Make sure you talk with the dealer and tell them you want extra warranty on your emissions and injectors, or just give the truck back.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:55 PM

Alright, I just talked to the PO and it was for veggie oil but, they said they run it in their older rigs but had never run any in this truck because they were afraid of messing with the new emissions while it was still under warrenty. They did the work as soon as they got the truck then changed their mind, so, I feel much better but I am still going to have the lines replaced. Thanks Mark
Old 12-18-2009, 05:20 PM

UPDATE!!! Talked to the local dealer that the po bought the truck from and he remembers it well! They did in fact run veggie oil and locked up the engine!! Dealer rebuilt it with the po paying out of their pocket. Not sure why she lied to me but I was ******! Spent all day back and forth with my dealer and finally ended up with two logical choices. Get our Aspen back or trade for a brand new F150 Screw. We decided to take the Screw. So far it is sweet! Still got the Megacab so I'm aok! Thanks for your responses. Mark
Old 01-04-2010, 01:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So now this dealer has to disclose all this info to any prospective buyers right??? Kind of sucks he didn't tell you that you had a rebuilt engine... He's a crook.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man, there's a chitload of diesels for sale.
I'd have parked it out front of the ******* with a big sign on it while I went back in and got the keys to my old car and any money I gave them for the truck and told them on the way out I was still thinking about driving it thru the front window, but better judgement prevailed!
A F150??? Really??