3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

whats the deal with these trannys

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by cobrarep
sorry to join in late on this...
I have a 03 HO with the 48RE and it works okay most of the time but has one or two weird characteristics

When accelerating at a "normal" pace away from the lights the 1-2, 2-3 shifts are fine, the lock-up of the TC comes next (I think?) and then sometimes the 3-OD shift comes... and sometimes not.

Sometimes it shifts into OD, then back down to 3rd, then back to OD within a couple of seconds all without any change of throttle position - still accelerating at a normal pace to a 40 or 50 mph speed limit, say about half or two-thirds throttle.

Othertimes I want to accelerate to about 40 mph so I start up from the light at a normal clip and head towards 40. The 1-2, the 2-3 both work fine then the tranny stays in 3rd and does not want to slip into OD as I level my speed off unless I lift my foot right up. This happens far more often than not so I have had my truck in three times (in the first 6k) and my dealer finds no problem. I took the service manager for two rides and after the second ride he said it seemed normal to him and won't book another appointment for this issue. Got one of the techs to apply a TSB 18-027-03 but did not solve the issue for me.

Pulled our 8,000# trailer back in June for about 1K and the 3-OD shift with some weight behind went in with a pretty loud bang or clunk about two times on the trip - did not change the way it shifts the rest of the time.

Anybody else have OD shift issues with a 48 RE or is this "normal" behaviour? My first Dodge, maybe all their transmissions act this way?

... and I went on long too! Sorry!

Yeah a buddy of mine has the same problem with his '03 1 ton / 48RE, it will kick down on the freeway for no reason, makes the engine race. I asked an other friend of mine (an engineer for a diesel engine aftermarket company) about the 48RE, he figures that the trouble he's having is possibly a software issue. Of course it's worth noting that my friend has his truck chipped (+50 hp, I think), but it doesn't seem to make a difference with the chip in or out... occasionally the tranny exhibits the same problem.

He had his tranny fluid changed recently and found metal chips in the oil, so he thinks he's on the hook for a replacement soon...
Old 08-15-2004, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by 2500_dan
Mine does the same on light acceleration. This only happens about once every two weeks though. It seems to go to OD for a second then comes back to 3rd... then a second later it goes back to OD?? I have not taken it in yet, but plan on having the dealer check it along with a couple other smaller issues.

2500_dan
Then you know - I was afraid I was the only one which of course makes it harder to get the dealer to believe. Tough to demonstrate when it does not happen all the time, strange when it happens though... Do you have the other issue like me where it does not want to go into OD when holding a steady speed?

Sure would be interested in anything you dealer comes up with!

Originally posted by Russ Day
Yeah a buddy of mine has the same problem with his '03 1 ton / 48RE, it will kick down on the freeway for no reason, makes the engine race. I asked an other friend of mine (an engineer for a diesel engine aftermarket company) about the 48RE, he figures that the trouble he's having is possibly a software issue. Of course it's worth noting that my friend has his truck chipped (+50 hp, I think), but it doesn't seem to make a difference with the chip in or out... occasionally the tranny exhibits the same problem.
He had his tranny fluid changed recently and found metal chips in the oil, so he thinks he's on the hook for a replacement soon...

Russ
Metal chips sound bad, hopefully not caused by the extra HP and still covered by warranty! No chip in my truck, I'm running exactly the way it came off the lot. Did your friend's problem start from brand new like mine or show up later?

Originally posted by blownaway
I am very happy with the way my 48 shifts, you have something out of adjustment.....

Blownaway
...that's what I kept telling the dealer....! But the weird things do not happen one hundred percent of the time so mechanical "adjustment" seems less likely than a software glitch?

Thanks for the replies!