3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

What's best exhaust brake??

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking What's best exhaust brake??

I'm thinking of adding an aftermarket exhaust brake on my 2007 5.9. Dealer wants about $1300 plus install for their brake or about $1800. I see on ebay a dealer selling the Jacobs brake with Mopar written all over it for about $800. I wonder if it's the same brake as the Dodge dealer? Dodge dealer over here says he won't install anything except Mopar. Do yall think if I get someone else to install, will dealer void my warranty for anything? Opinions on kinds appreciated. Also how hard is this to install yourself??
Old 06-18-2007, 12:59 PM

you can get the part number off the on on ebay and check agianst the mopar part number on the cummins jake website and then you will know
they cant void your warrenty if you dont by it from them if i hadnt got mine from ebay i was going to get it from cummins
Old 06-18-2007, 01:28 PM

I bought my Pacbrake PRXB from here at the DTR Store. Spent $1,040 and installed it myself.

Whatever you do, don't pay $1800 intalled. That's way too much. Several people here, including carharttfarmer, bought there Jacobs brake off ebay for under $800 and put them in themselves. Even if you pay someone else to install it, buying off ebay will save you a bundle.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:43 PM
HOV

I think a jake break won't be under warranty unless a dealer installs it...

I got a super deal on mine because the service writer gave me a quote for installation on a 2007.5 by accident; I paid $1400 for the brake and $147 for the install.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:19 PM

does the exhaust brake really help alot? I've asked some people that have them and I get mixed answers. Some say it helps a bunch, others say it wasnt worth the money.
Another question, how does the 48RE hold up with the exhaust brake?
Old 06-18-2007, 02:31 PM

they help quite a bit even empty
Old 06-18-2007, 02:38 PM
Banned

the brakes are fantastic. i have had my prxb for 2 years and wouldnt tow without it.
with an automatic, you'll need the trans commander module that the brake manufacturers sell.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:33 PM

Thumbs up An absolute necessity

I'll be towing 12k in mountains, so I need it for sure. I may ask Dodge dealer if he will install it if I buy from someone else & I will get the Mopar(Jacobs) so all will be warranty. The seller on ebay says that if a Dodge dealer installs it, there is a 3 year warranty!! I also found out from further search from the net that the Jacob brake is the only one that will not void the warranty because it's the only one approved by Cummins. I'll get the transmission management thing previous poster described. I heard of horror stories after coming down from the mountains of not only the shoes & pads gone, but of complete replacement of all rotors due to warpage OUCH!!
Old 06-18-2007, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by dodgezilla04
with an automatic, you'll need the trans commander module that the brake manufacturers sell.
Originally Posted by groran
I'll get the transmission management thing previous poster described.

No tranny controller required on '06 and '07 48REs. The programming is already there. Just install and go.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:31 PM

dodgezilla, hows the brake with a stick? i do moderate towing from time to time(jeeps and such) and was thinking about a jake as well, then i saw this thread so thought id ask.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:20 PM
Banned

just great with the manual. i still need to install the clutch switch(keeps the brake off when shifting) so i slip the clutch when letting it out coming downhill under load.
crossing the divide in montana i stick it in 5th, set the cruise to 50, and down she goes nice and slow without touching the service brakes. with trailer of course.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:28 PM

Just put in a PRXB, also got it from LAry, I love it, very cool.
People take a second look on the streets when they here that sound coming from a Dodge!

I'm not gonna bother with a clutch switch, either I turn it off when downshifting (switch on the stick) or just give the "gas" a burp as I shift down so you don't go through the windshield (well not really, but you get the point)...
Old 06-19-2007, 07:34 AM

I remember reading somewhere about an electric activated brake. I liked it because if your (engine dies) my bad, I meant if you lose vacuum, you have no vacuum, without vacuum, your vacuum operated brake doesn't work.

Does anyone know what brand that is? I have been trying to remember but I am at a loss.

I found it, US Gear De-Celerator.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:46 AM

(okay, I'll bite)...

... if your engine dies you're not gonna need an exhaust brake are you¿

... maybe I'm missing something..?
Old 06-19-2007, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by matt ellerbee
dodgezilla, hows the brake with a stick? i do moderate towing from time to time(jeeps and such) and was thinking about a jake as well, then i saw this thread so thought id ask.
It works well enough that when it engages and the roads are slippery, there is a tendency to swap ends. (When you leave off the throttle, there is a couple second delay before the brake is activated).

It saves on brake wear when empty and adds a margin of safety when towing.

Quick Reply: What's best exhaust brake??