3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

What are you guys doing to save on fuel ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cummins average mileage 16mpg
Miles per year average 15,000
Fuel cost per year @ $2.00 gallon= $1875
Fuel cost per year @ $4.00 gallon= $3750
Extra cost per week= $36.05 ( 52 weeks )

Can't afford an extra $36 a week? Then you have no business buying a 40,000 dollar truck!
Old 03-12-2008, 02:08 PM

Lemme see...............if I wash out the paper towels I use and let them dry for re-use, that's another $2/wk saved.........only go to waterin' hole on Tuesday's cause it's $2 "Big-***" beer nite, that's anothe 0.75-cents per beer saved...hmmmmmm I think you hit it!!! If I change my ways and drop a bad habit or two, I won't even feel the price crunch!! Hey Mikey!!! Edit I knew I shoulda gone with a Peterbilt!!! ........I see trade-in coming........
Old 03-12-2008, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Super Googan
I just don't understand how people can buy 30,40,50thousand dollar trucks and can't afford the fuel.
Maybe some of you purchased more truck than you can realistically afford with your current budget. Happens all the time. Take a ride through your local trailer park or slum. Now look at the cars and trucks parked in front of these homes.............shocking to say the least! What are these people thinking? I pass a trailer park that is totally run down on my way to work. What do I see? Brand new 40-50 thousand dollar trucks and cars!......and kids in the streets barefoot, dressed in rags! Sad reminder of peoples priority's in this country
The new American way! buy more car, truck and house than you can afford. I wonder how many people drive $40,000 dollar trucks but don't have health insurance because they "can't afford it"?

I don't even pay for my truck (paid off and company pays for fuel), but I'm still trying to find ways to save on fuel costs. Just because I can spend it doesn't mean I should.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:33 PM

Can't afford an extra $36 a week? Then you have no business buying a 40,000 dollar truck!
My fuel costs went up $60 a month since February. I can still afford to pay for it, but it still hurts.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:28 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can afford the 36 bucks no problem, but I don't like not having a choice in the matter. I also think you are a moron for making you last statement.

Tim
Old 03-12-2008, 03:53 PM

I'll second that was moronic statement. Do you realize that it is not only $36 for your personal vehicle, but that increase is passed along with everything that is delivered by a vehicle that burns diesel.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:06 PM

I hope you feel better about getting that off your chest. You totally missed the context of this thread. There is nothing wrong with people trying to be resourceful and save money. It's not just the cost of fuel, but the cost of everything - food, clothing, electric bills, home heating costs, etc that are going up. You can easily expect another 10-15% increase in the cost of living in the next 12 months as well. China actually has labor laws now, and the cost of labor will increase the cost of products and goods at least 10-15%. Combine that with the weak dollar, increased transportation costs, blah blah blah, it just means more money goes towards personal living expenses instead of vacations, recreational purchases, eating out, hobbies, etc. for the average income family.

I drive 50k a year at an average of 15mpg (Loaded, trailer, etc).

Fuel Cost per year @ $2 =$6667
Fuel cost per year @ $4 =$13333

That's an extra $128 per week... I don't care who you are, $6k is a lot of money. I could make payments on a second CTD (which I certainly wouldn't pay $40k for) with the extra $$$ I am paying in fuel right now.

I can certainly afford the fuel I need to drive my truck 50k a year, I would just rather spend that $6k on something a little more fun!

Besides, if you don't drive your truck more than 15k a year, you have no business driving a CTD, smart***.

As far as what I do to save a few nickels, I ride a bike often doing personal errands. I have even ridden my bike to my business appointments when I can, but I am in the bicycle business. That may not work for everyone.

I make sure my truck is maintained properly, i.e. oil changes, fuel filters, tire pressure etc. to make sure there is nothing simple holding my mileage down. I am driving a little slower (72 instead of 75), but I still have to make appointments to make money, so I can only go so slow. I fill up with LSD whenever possible also.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:51 PM

IM blessed i have my welding shop at my hnouse and its al legal. Im looking into these electric cars NOT HYBRIDS 100 % electric they beat the new corvette in the 1/4 and have a range of 250 miles they even have a mid size truck that has arange off 250 miler per charge not as fast of ourse and an SUV im savin up mite even convert one ov my old cars to elevtric. Im excited about it i mean ill always need my truck to tow but hey this is awsome heres a few links itel make you feal better

http://www.teslamotors.com/
http://www.worldclassexotics.com/Electriccarconv.htm
http://www.phoenixmotorcars.com/index.php

the RX7 is electric in the VIDEO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G32E4...eature=related
Old 03-12-2008, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by djbikeman
Besides, if you don't drive your truck more than 15k a year, you have no business driving a CTD, smart***.
Well, I have a farm. I don't drive my truck 15K/year but I do need a diesel IMO. Well, maybe I don't but I'll never openly admit it!

Otherwise, I agree 100% with your post. Nothing wrong with trying to save a few shekels! A fool and his money...
Old 03-12-2008, 06:28 PM

I carpool with a cousin to work. We trade off driving a week at a time. When i drive i drive my 92' ctd, it gets 20 -22 mpg. my red 04.5' is for pulling trailers for the farm and hunting and when my wife wants to drive it. I am gonna slow down on the highway to 60-65mph to see if that helps. good luck ya'll
edit: my 04.5' gets about 13-14mpg, but it pulls ANYTHING i put behind it. With that kind of performace i can stand to live with that kind of mileage. I sure hope the powers that be will get the fuel price controlled somehow.
ez
Old 03-12-2008, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
I don't even pay for my truck (paid off and company pays for fuel), but I'm still trying to find ways to save on fuel costs. Just because I can spend it doesn't mean I should.
Exactly-I didn't spend anywhere near 40-50 grand for my truck and its almost paid off, but that doesn't mean that takes away my right to complain about $4/gallon diesel, and the billions in profits it brings the oil companies. So I fight the powers that be by riding my R6. Kinda hard getting used to a 15.5k redline, as opposed to 3200 though.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:46 PM

I just don't understand how people can buy 30,40,50thousand dollar trucks and can't afford the fuel.
Maybe some of you purchased more truck than you can realistically afford with your current budget. Happens all the time. Take a ride through your local trailer park or slum. Now look at the cars and trucks parked in front of these homes.............shocking to say the least! What are these people thinking? I pass a trailer park that is totally run down on my way to work. What do I see? Brand new 40-50 thousand dollar trucks and cars!......and kids in the streets barefoot, dressed in rags! Sad reminder of peoples priority's in this country
The new American way! buy more car, truck and house than you can afford. I wonder how many people drive $40,000 dollar trucks but don't have health insurance because they "can't afford it"?
So I guess you leave all the lights on in your house cause you can afford the light bulbs right?
Old 03-12-2008, 08:08 PM

Spendt 7000 on fuel last year, probablly more this year. Put A Dodge Rampage together last year that gets over 25 MPG for my local running. Drive at 60-63 on Interstate pulling heavy trailer getting as good milage as possible. Ran across some mixed new motor oil at .50 a gallon (witches oil cause don't know which it is) and mixing 5 -10 % with fuel. That helps a little but is lots of trouble. Gonna run as long as can. Uncle Sam helps a little with tax deductions. Do all repairs possiblly can to save also.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:11 PM

I drive my VW bug with TDI and get 37 mpg mixed Hwy and city. Or I can go 80 mph on Interstate and STILL get 43.9 mpg. with Auto. and The newbeetle is on a shortened A-4 chassis. My buddies make fun of my "girls" car---or they used to anyway. I could make do without my CTD I guess, but I pull my muletrailer and a flatbed sometimes, and besides, as you all know, it sure is a lot of fun to make a hot rod out of an 8000lb truck! Someone hit the nail on the head, THIS COUNTRY RUNS OFF BIG RIG DIESEL GUZZLING TRUCKS, and it is all passed on to guess who?
Old 03-12-2008, 08:33 PM

I drive a Corolla as my daily driver. It isnt because I cant afford the fuel, but it IS because I dont feel like paying for 16mpg diesel fuel. I get 30mpg and put the miles on the car because I dont want to beat up the Dodge wrapper around the Cummins. I complain about the cost of fuel not because I cant afford it, but because I want to pay off my house in 1/3 of the time.

Some people are frugal...Im cheap.

Quick Reply: What are you guys doing to save on fuel ?