3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Truck = PIA

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck = PIA

Ok so when I decelerate I get this pinging metallic sound from what sounds like is the engine. Now I am not getting any smoke (white or black) and the truck runs well. I was thinking an exhaust leak but I could not see anything other than a very small leak right before the muffler....seems to be too far away from the engine to make the noise sound like it is coming from the engine. Any ideas? valve lashes? Also my truck has an insane appetite for headlights...for example my passanger side headlight was out so I pulled out the assembly and replaced the bulb....fixed? No dice...it looks like the whatever the heck control module that pretty much works for about a year and that is it failed again. Ugh. Any solutions to this problem too? TIA!
Old 04-13-2010, 08:42 PM

Cracked exhaust manifold if its a stocker, I dunno but would look there too.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:11 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy water and an Excorcism????

The decel thing I have no idea, the head light is probably a relay in the FCM (front control module).
Old 04-14-2010, 08:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe your alternator??? I'd have it tested, they can get noisy when the bearing fails.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by no_6_oh_no
Holy water and an Excorcism????

The decel thing I have no idea, the head light is probably a relay in the FCM (front control module).
Yeah I am willing to bet the FCM is shot....again! Think I am going to do the MikeyB headlight upgrade.

Originally Posted by rip 112
Maybe your alternator??? I'd have it tested, they can get noisy when the bearing fails.
Hmmm...it is only a few months old. I would hope it is not that and it doesn't sound like alternator groan.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:01 AM

Depending on what the metal pinging sound sounds like u might want to check ur front u joint on ur front axle. I had some weird crazy metal sound that I was sure was in the motor, but after further investigation it was my front u joints. Just an idea, good luck finding ur problem.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by dwl2002navy
Depending on what the metal pinging sound sounds like u might want to check ur front u joint on ur front axle. I had some weird crazy metal sound that I was sure was in the motor, but after further investigation it was my front u joints. Just an idea, good luck finding ur problem.
Hmmm..I think you maybe onto something here....Thanks!
Old 04-16-2010, 08:29 PM

I just received a "new" used PDC and FCM I bought hoping it will fix my crazy light issues...or should I say lack of lights

I'm fresh off a blown tranny so this is just icing on the cake
Old 04-16-2010, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by c-bass
I just received a "new" used PDC and FCM I bought hoping it will fix my crazy light issues...or should I say lack of lights

I'm fresh off a blown tranny so this is just icing on the cake
Yeah with the build quality of these trucks it is easy to see why Chrysler got bailed out.......TWICE.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:40 AM

Location: Frozen Northern Minnesota, Darn Close To Where Perma-Frost Begins...
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"Yeah with the build quality of these trucks it is easy to see why Chrysler got bailed out.......TWICE."

I heard one gentleman describe our Dodge trucks with the Cummins, as a "Diamond buried in a pile of dog sh**" Seems to be a thread of truth, no wait, a ROPE of truth in his observation.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by truckbouy2
"Yeah with the build quality of these trucks it is easy to see why Chrysler got bailed out.......TWICE."

I heard one gentleman describe our Dodge trucks with the Cummins, as a "Diamond buried in a pile of dog sh**" Seems to be a thread of truth, no wait, a ROPE of truth in his observation.
I think I'm starting to agree. I have yet to find anyone that disputes the Cummins as an excellent engine, but the rest of the truck leaves a lot to be desired.

For the record the "new" PDC/FCM combo fixed my lighting fiasco. Lucky for me I managed to find a used one for a good price.

Dealer wanted $900 for the PDC and $350 for the FCM!