3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Transfer Case Help Please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfer Case Help Please!!!

Im driving a 2003 2500 with a 6 speed in it.
My output seal on the transfer case went bad and i think it lost enough fluid to burn up part of my transfer case.
The truck drives fine in 2 wheel drive but in 4 wheel drive, it lurches and grinds.

Is there an inspection hole i can look through to maybe see what is bad? I really cant fork out $1100 plus a core to get a new one.
Im very mechanicly inclined and am willing to rebuild myself for a few hundred bucks.

Anyone ever rebuild one and know what it takes?

Im going to try pulling off the PTO cover and see if maybe i can see a bad gear in there or something.

Aby advice would be great. Thanks
Old 10-19-2010, 09:02 AM

The same thing happened to mine and it was the chain that stretched believe it or not. The chain I pulled out was about 3/4" longer than it should have been and was jumping and slipping on the gears. I think I caught mine fairly quick as I didn't see alot of wear on any other internal parts. After replacing the chain I haven't had any issues (knock on wood) though I don't used 4wd alot. My transfer case still seeps a tiny bit of fluid even with a new seal, and I think I read on here that someone figured out there is a "vent hole" or something like that in the slip yoke that allows the fluid to get out.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:45 AM

THANKS for sharing that information!
I watched a video on youtube last night where a guy pulled apart his t-case on his jeep to inspet it and found the chain was streched.

Im guessing our probably right since ive been driving it for about 40k miles with no other problems. If i had a broken tooth somewhere, i would figure eventually it would have jumped into something and caused some catistrophic damage by now.

How hard was it to replace the chain? I figure ill have to pull one of the drivin gears, i assume the front driveshaft gear, to install the chain. Ill probably replace that too while its off.

Im gonna look at some diagrams and see if this all can be done with the t case still on the truck.
My luck ill get it half apart and still end up pulling the case out just to get to one bolt

Thanks again for your input!!!!!
Old 10-19-2010, 10:54 AM

Call Tourist Transmission in Salt Lake City and they have every part you may need. Just rebuilt mine in my 96. Great, extremely knowledgeable group of guys.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:08 PM

Talking with Tourist Transmissions and explaining my problem, they advised me that it sounds like the Mode Fork is probably worn to a point that 4x4 isnt completly engaging. I was kinda hoping it was just a chain as i think thatll be easier to replace. If it is on fact the mode fork or range fork, a full overhaul will be needed...... bummer.

i think im going to take apart the case on the truck to get a look inside and order whatever parts might need replacing to minimize downtime on my truck.

Are there any parts you folks recomend replacing for sure while i have it all apart? I would assume a seal or two and possiably a bearing?

Thanks again
Old 10-19-2010, 02:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What about getting a junkyard T case? Would be an easy swap.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Grit Dog
What about getting a junkyard T case? Would be an easy swap.

I would love to find a junk yard case but finding these trucks in a junk yard is nearly impossiable! Apparently dodge made them to a point that its not economical to junk em
Old 10-19-2010, 07:28 PM

When we did mine we replaced all bearings and seals. Just so much easier to do while you have it down and out. Tourist did have a rebuild kit with the stuff you should replace anyhow. When the daughters 01 1500 case took a crap I just bought one of their rebuilt units off the shelf with exchange. It needed alot of work. They will also rebuild your unit if needed and are quite quick on turnarounds. We've used them for most all of our fleet of 80 pickups and big trucks for the last 10-12 years from parts to rebuilds to exchanges.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:50 PM

Okay so looking at parts lists, i find a few different parts.
Range Fork (updated)
Range Fork (Non updated)
Range Fork (Iron)

Looks to e that the "updated" fork is aluminum. Does anyone know if thats the only differance?

How would one be able to tell which is installed in theirs and would it be bennificial to install an "updated" on if mine is currently not?

so many questions....................
Old 10-28-2010, 03:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jmlcolorado
Im driving a 2003 2500 with a 6 speed in it.
My output seal on the transfer case went bad and i think it lost enough fluid to burn up part of my transfer case.
The truck drives fine in 2 wheel drive but in 4 wheel drive, it lurches and grinds.

Is there an inspection hole i can look through to maybe see what is bad? I really cant fork out $1100 plus a core to get a new one.
Im very mechanicly inclined and am willing to rebuild myself for a few hundred bucks.

Anyone ever rebuild one and know what it takes?

Im going to try pulling off the PTO cover and see if maybe i can see a bad gear in there or something.

Aby advice would be great. Thanks
You can go to www.everdrive.com and see if they have one. == GOOD LUCK ==
Old 10-28-2010, 08:47 PM

mine looks a little rough after last night

Old 10-28-2010, 09:15 PM

Replacing the chain and mode fork can all be done with the tcase in the truck. (Of course it's easier to do on the bench). Fairly straightforward to do either way. Just did the chain in my Jeep Rubi tcase last month.
The Jeep chain ran about $110 from Drivetrain.com.
http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_cata...se_chains.html
Replacing the mode fork is just one additional step beyond replacing the chain. Just yank the main shaft out of the planetary gear assembly and the mode fork is right there.

Of course you need to also replace the leaking seal(s) so it doesn't happen again.