3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Trans Temp Sender Location

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^ Nice find....
Old 07-02-2007, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by grantx5
Here's some good info I found over at RV.Net. Not my writing but by a guy who works at DTT (Diesel Transmission Technology)
------------------------------------------------------
Where to install the transmission temp sensor is one of the most frequent question and discussions I have with guys. My question to you guys is this, why are you buying a gauge?

If you are buying a tranny temp gauge just so you have one and you can tell your friends you have one then you can pretty much put it wherever you want, as it really doesn’t matter in that case.

To me, a gauge is there to monitor tranny temps and indicate how often to change the oil. If you want a gauge for what I consider to be its primary functions then lets look at the oil. Oil temp is what we are trying to monitor so keeping that in mind lets look at the common places people install their gauges and what they are learning by doing so. Decide for yourselves where you want to monitor your tranny temps from and at what cost.

First lets deal with when and why tranny oil gets hot. Most will agree that trans temps are the hottest in stop and go traffic when the transmission is in first or second gear or in the reverse position, in most cases when trying to back up a trailer.

One of the favourite locations by people is the front servo on the passenger side of the transmission. The problem with that is there is no oil in that port in first gear, 2nd gear, or reverse so what are you measuring?
If you do have a transmission temp sensor in that port, take it out, not only is it not monitoring your oil it is probably causing damage to the transmission as the probe is most likely making contact with the servo spring.

Middle port passenger side better known as accumulator port is another, while this port does measure transmission temp in first, second, drive and od, it is measuring stagnant oil. It other words oil fills up and stays there. There is no oil present in the accumulator while you are in the reverse position. So it is useless to measure from this location also.

Another favourite place is in the reverse port on the passenger side. This port only has oil in the reverse and manual low positions. This means no oil in the in the drive position. I have had guys phone me arguing with me that they are seeing temps of 200 degrees while driving down the road in stop and go traffic when measuring from this port. My comment to that is congratulations we now know the temps of your tranny case, we can only guess at this point what your tranny temps are.

As far as I am concerned, there is only one location to accurately measure your tranny temps from. That is your transmission cooler outline. I have seen temps get as high as 300 degrees coming out of that line. That line sees every 20 seconds 1 quart of oil pumped through it at 1100 rpms. 3.8 gallons at 2100 rpms every minute, in 3 minutes you have pumped out basically 12 gallons of oil. So lets say you see temps of 300 degrees from this line and you have pumped it through your tranny At this point in time you can change the oil in your tranny or you can wait a little longer and change your tranny , rest assured you will be doing one or the other. I don’t make any extra money selling you guys the Chrysler lines, I give you the number we use, 5011244AA. The 1995 and earlier trucks it is a little more difficult to hook up the tranny temp gauge, but the 96 and later trucks you guys only have one choice, use the Chrysler line if you tow and want an accurate reading. To me, a gauge is there to monitor temps and indicate how often to change the oil....SNIP

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-02-2007, 05:37 PM

I have always questioned my trans temps, I have the X-Monitor and I believe the trans wire is spliced into the factory sensor wire on the trans, did not do the install myself. Where is the factory location of this sensor located in the trans itself where does it get it's reading. Of course I do not tow all the time like I use to, but the highest temp reading I have ever recorded on the X was 161*F pulling a 28ft travel trailer during August with the outside temp was 97*F. I know that could not be right after reading some of your readings your seeing. Daily driving unloaded I'll see 140*F to 150*F mostly during the summer months and 120*F to 135*F in the winter months depending on outside temps.

Tony
Old 07-02-2007, 06:41 PM

I'll look for it while I'm under there installing my accu-temp fitting in the next day or so. I'd be curious to compare the two.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:24 PM

I want to install a transmission cooler on my 06, 3500 diesel. where is the best place to install? I have a Mass tranny line and the sender reads good there. I believe I could install just before the sender in this line or it could go after the first OEM cololer and before the cooler in front of the rad. Has anyone have suggestions.

puller

Any good answers to this question?
Old 07-18-2007, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by DBLR
My self I find it hard to believe that Dave G said that it's Ok to use a test port for a trans temp probe on one of his or any other transmission.
Actually what he (Dave G) told me when I was there with my truck is that the temps are different but not enough to really matter on the gauge. He also said he likes to place them in the hot line but either will work. You might want to go out to the corn fields sometimes an meet the man. He's really a nice guy to talk with. Now personaly I'd rather have it in the hot line as well but you know some people either just don't have alot of extra cabbage or just won't squeeze it out one right.

Mark
Old 07-18-2007, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by RACER47
I want to install a transmission cooler on my 06, 3500 diesel. where is the best place to install? I have a Mass tranny line and the sender reads good there. I believe I could install just before the sender in this line or it could go after the first OEM cololer and before the cooler in front of the rad. Has anyone have suggestions.

Do yourself a favor. I say this because I've done this. Don't let anyone remove your old cooler because 9 times out of 10 they hack saw your lines off. If you want pic's of what these idiot did to mine I'll take some. Instead add another, like what I though those idiots were going to do but didn't, in series get the right snap in fittings to simply unplug your existing lines and add another cooler core under your DC cooler you now run. Most tranny coolers are made for the gas engine market. There is allot of difference in how much heat each will make in a tranny. Adding another cooler inline will be a much better fix than removing your DC cooler. After Dave Georend saw what that other shop done to mine he just couldn't believe what they did. He had to buy a new DC cooler and put back in my truck since they hack sawed my lines off mine. He said the DC cooler did a good job in most apps and that I didn't need another one. My 48RE has billet flex plate, TC, input and intermediate shafts along with him setting up my VB to were it doesn't ****** or hunt even pulling a 48' flatbed at time grossing over 34k. Hope this helps you in what you need.

Mark
Old 07-20-2007, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by monnshyne
Actually what he (Dave G) told me when I was there with my truck is that the temps are different but not enough to really matter on the gauge. He also said he likes to place them in the hot line but either will work. You might want to go out to the corn fields sometimes an meet the man. He's really a nice guy to talk with.

Mark
FYI, I do get out to the cornfields being their are many 2 blocks from where I live. Anyway being his shop is only a few hours drive from my house and once I have some more free time I'll be taking a drive over to his shop and speak to him in person so I can see what he has to say about this subject.

BTW, If I wouldn't of had my inlaws with me last Thursday that caused me to get a late start while on my way to the Mississippi river I would of stopped and had a talk with him about a small problem I had with my trans that showed up while towing the camp trailer.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:37 PM

I just gotta chime in on this one.. I have gauged several trucks.. My line of thinking is this.. I want to know how hot the fluid is GOING INTO my trans. All you guys with sensors in cooling lines, answer this-- What do you do when the external cooler plugs up and there isn't any flow by your sender?

It happened to me.. If I would have had a pan gauge, I could have seen that my tranny was about to melt.

Remember that trans sucks fluid from the bottom of the pan.

If my cooler is plugged or otherwise airflow restricted, and the fluid temp skyrockets going into the trans, well, kiss it goodbye!