3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Trans Temp Sender Location

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Trans Temp Sender Location

I know there appears to be several options for mounting a trans temp sensor, pan, hot line or test port. What is the best location for monitoring the overall temperature that the transmission internals sees? I know the hot line probably gives the hottest temp that the fluid sees, but if I understand this correctly, that can be spike temp, not necessarily the overall temp that the clutches/bands/seals are experiencing. I understand temp and its effect on fluids, and therefore the benefit of monitoring the hottest temp, but I really want to monitor the temp that the internals are seeing most of the time.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:12 AM

You want the temperature sensor in the hot line because the hot line comes directly out of the TC, when that is hot, your clutches are hot and slipping. The test port is a dead pocket and the fluid doesn't circulate through.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:26 AM

Cool Trans Temp Sensor

Originally Posted by Pull U 2
The test port gives the same temp as the hot line according to my heat gun and my trans guy. You may of heard of him.........
Great, based on this then I can save the $32.00 for Geno's Acu Temp adapter and go directly into the test port. I assume the correct test port is the line pressure port.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:14 AM

Are you saying that Goerend says to use the test port for your temp probe?
Old 06-27-2007, 10:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My self I find it hard to believe that Dave G said that it's Ok to use a test port for a trans temp probe on one of his or any other transmission.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by DBLR
My self I find it hard to believe that Dave G said that it's Ok to use a test port for a trans temp probe on one of his or any other transmission.
2x on this!! Autometer whom are the leaders in gauges have always maintained that to get the most accurate numbers, the fluid has to flow past the probe and that the probe can not touch any metal other than its collar. The test port is for testing pressure and is pre tq, which means even if it did flow fluid, it will read lower than the hot line due to the heat the tq creates.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:38 PM

Quadzilla recommends using test port #2 for the recon gauge setup. I cant imagine them telling us to use a place thats not going to be accurate for the reading.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:10 PM

I put mine in the hot line(I got from Diesel manor).

Id rather see the hotest its getting, than an average temperature, or a cooler temp in the pan/return line(from the cooler)
Old 06-27-2007, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Snopczynski
Quadzilla recommends using test port #2 for the recon gauge setup. I cant imagine them telling us to use a place thats not going to be accurate for the reading.
My guess would be that they use that location for ease of installation.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:06 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pull U 2
The test port gives the same temp as the hot line according to my heat gun
Take yer heat gun and toss it off a bridge!

Quite measuring metal temps and measure the FLUID temps!

The idea that uncooled fluid temps right out of the TC are the same as stagnant cooled fluid is ridiculous. Go put a probe in the test port, the pan, and the cooler line and run the truck thru a series of loads and driving conditions. You will see 50 to 100 degrees differences between the locations.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:16 AM
RRC

Originally Posted by no_6_oh_no
Take yer heat gun and toss it off a bridge!

Quite measuring metal temps and measure the FLUID temps!

The idea that uncooled fluid temps right out of the TC are the same as stagnant cooled fluid is ridiculous. Go put a probe in the test port, the pan, and the cooler line and run the truck thru a series of loads and driving conditions. You will see 50 to 100 degrees differences between the locations.

Have you done this? If not, how do you "know" this?

I am on my second set of gauges in my second 04.5 and newer CTD. The first sensor was in the pan. The second is now in the test port. The only difference I see is the gauge gets to "normal" temps alot faster in the test port than when it was in the pan on my old truck.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by BMH95
Are you saying that Goerend says to use the test port for your temp probe?
No I didn't say anyone said to use the test port, my question was where is the most accurate place to locate a sensor? I guess most people use the hot line and that's probably what I'll do.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Rob C
2x on this!! Autometer whom are the leaders in gauges have always maintained that to get the most accurate numbers, the fluid has to flow past the probe and that the probe can not touch any metal other than its collar. The test port is for testing pressure and is pre tq, which means even if it did flow fluid, it will read lower than the hot line due to the heat the tq creates.
With a need for fluid to flow past the probe and for the probe NOT to touch any metal except its collar, would this mean that Geno's Acu Temp Adapter may not be the way to go? I was originally thinking of using the adapter because I think read that inserting the probe into the fluid path caused some restriction which wasn't good either. Whats the best adapter for the probe?

Quick Reply: Trans Temp Sender Location