3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Tranny Problem! Please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny Problem! Please help

My truck has 112K miles and I changed the fluid and filter yesterday. My magnet in my oil pan had a good bit of metal on it and the fluid was dark. I also adjusted the front and rear bands per the haynes manual. Now everything is fine except in second gear it jerks and jumps around. It seems like it is reving itself up. It also slips going from second to third some. I was told by a friend i need a TC. Is that my only problem or do I have bigger issues?
Old 03-22-2010, 10:28 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
In my expericence dont adjust a dodge truck trans. the haynes manual dosent get it right .
Take it to a certifited Dodge mechanic and let then adjust it
Old 03-24-2010, 09:35 AM

You're kidding right? Clint.
Those guys are not any smarter than any other diesel mechanic, assuming you can find someone who knows their __it. I adjust my own bands, change fluid, did my own VB kit and other stuff like that, in fact I dropped the trans and changed the front and forward drum clutches to the thinner red line and Kolene steel combo to get more in the drums without issue. It only takes some education... now if it's under warranty then by all means, make them do it but honestly... most every dodge truck owner here at the board knows some mechanic stuff to be able to work on their own trucks .
I can appreciate your concern, in fact I see ocassionally a person who shouldnt even be changing their own oil, but not too often.\

OH, REDNECK!
LOOK ON THE BOARD DOING A SEARCH FOR "BAND ADJUSMENT". Follow the instructions and recheck that band tension on the front band. If the timing is off a little it'll hunt for second gear. If it didn't do it before you changed F & F then why would you think it was caused by something other than the recent adjustment you performed. Most of the time the right answer is the easiest to come up with.
Good luck.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:56 AM

make sure its full of fluid