3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Tranny not downshifting

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 01:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tranny not downshifting

My transmission was completely rebuilt about 3 years ago and has performed great since then until the last few days. After driving and coming to a stop it doesn't automatically return to low gear. It seems to stay in second gear. making moving again a bit difficult. I can manually downshift into low gear and return to Drive once I'm moving and it operates normally. I have less than 30k on the rebuild. Is there an additive that may help, or should I just service the fluid and filter and see if that helps any?
Old 09-28-2014, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Det 1
My transmission was completely rebuilt about 3 years ago and has performed great since then until the last few days. After driving and coming to a stop it doesn't automatically return to low gear. It seems to stay in second gear. making moving again a bit difficult. I can manually downshift into low gear and return to Drive once I'm moving and it operates normally. I have less than 30k on the rebuild. Is there an additive that may help, or should I just service the fluid and filter and see if that helps any?
Change out the governor pressure solonoid and transducer.

You can try changing out the fluid and filter if you want, can't hurt.

You might put a drain plug in the pan while your at it, you WILL be dropping the pan again sometime in the future, guaranteed.

I had the same thing happen to me, no first gear, the problem was my upgraded tranny didn't even flinch with 2nd gear starts took me awhile to figure out what was going on:-)

Transducer and solonoid fixed it......

Ron W