3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Too late, just married.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too late, just married.

Can anyone think of a reason not to buy an HO rather than an SO? My wife and I love to shift, it's our main complaint about the Volvo XC (an otherwise fine automobile). So if we want a manual transmission, why not get the HO 6sp, right?

After reading lots and thinking about our needs, here's the truck we think fits: '03 quad-cab 4WD HO 6 Spd, adj pedals, power seat option, tow pack, rear slider, tow mirrors, and maybe the anti-spin rear. OOpps, gotta clean that drool off the keyboard (don't know if it's age or excitement )
Old 11-12-2002, 02:21 PM

Re:Almost married, speak now or forever hold your peace!

Be sure to get an anti-spin or your 4x4 will be a jacked up 2WD. Spinning wheels don't drive.
Old 11-12-2002, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=Sierra Phil link=board=20;threadid=6955;start=0#65843 date=1037132488]<br>Be sure to get an anti-spin or your 4x4 will be a jacked up 2WD. Spinning wheels don't drive. <br>[/quote]<br><br>Excuse me while I bend over for a swift butt kicking.<br>I didn't get anti-spin, didn't know any better at the time, and got stuck first time I tried mud.<br><br>Nothing like getting out of the truck, while it's idleing in gear and seeing 1 tire on each side spinning away while the other one just sits there with a stupid grin on it's face.<br><br>phox<br>
Old 11-12-2002, 06:30 PM

Phox,<br> Next time that happens just gently apply the brakes while still keeping the truck in gear. This will cause the diff to transfer torque to the non-spinning wheel(s). If you have an automatic, you may have to give is a little more gas (fuel). Try it sometime, it works <br><br>The Boss Hog
Old 11-12-2002, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The front end was sunk so deep, with the stock tires, there was no way I was getting unstuck without help.<br><br>The limited slip wouldn't have helped, as bad as I was stuck but it might have prevented me from getting in that position in the first place, as soon as one wheel started to slip the weight on the front end succumbed to gravity very rapidly.<br><br>Also, in hindsight, if I would have kept my speed up I would have floated right over, but I slowed down as my truck was still so new, didn't want to jar it around very much.<br><br>(a kindly young man with a Ford F150 TritonV8 pulled me out, well, gave me leverage to get out, after breaking my tow strap twice, and had a shovel which I neglected to bring along, might have been able to get out myself with just the shovel and a few well placed rocks and logs.)<br><br>But, we've gotten off topic now.<br><br>I learned my lesson.<br>No more mud until I get better tires.<br>Always keep a shovel in the back when offroading.<br>Have a CB now to call for help, rather than hoofing it for 2 miles hoping to find someone.<br>Get a winch for self recovery (rated for at least 1 1/2 times truck weight)<br>Have a bigger tow strap rated for at least 1 1/2 times the weight of the truck, instead of a little 1 ton-er.<br><br><br>phox
Old 11-12-2002, 10:43 PM

soundbrz<br><br>Not sure how big the wife is or what your physical condition is. I have found out for me in the last 3 weeks, the most important options for me/us<br><br>Power pedals (move almost 6&quot; up, all at one time, or down&quot;<br><br>I bought these 'cause of Shorty (the 5'2&quot; wife)<br><br>And the power seat. I bought this for both, but mostly for Shorty, so she could see over the hood!<br><br>She loves both, drives it like a Nascar girl!<br><br>Loves it due to above<br><br>But, I find out for me, I am disabled due to knee and back problems (almost went for a weenie 47RE) that I can adjust the pedals and the seats, and if I get too much pressure some place, change the pedals, the seat and roll on out!<br><br>They are the two most awesomest options Dodge has made.<br><br>Made my Baby, Queen of the Road and me, Painless Hunter
Old 11-13-2002, 12:08 AM

I have a bad knee, tore it up skiing back in 90. It was repaired but stiffens up after a couple of hours driving. Auto won't help me as it is the right one. It only takes my toes to work the go pedal. Even a stiff knee is able to apply the brake. When it is stiff and I start to walk I limp.<br><br>Wife has a permanent handicap because both hips replaced. She gets out and walks fine, I'm limping. She has the Blue Handicap sign. People look at us
Old 11-19-2002, 10:19 AM

Well, the anti-spin is a must, and Hunter, my wife drove a 6spd with adj pedals, I couldn't get her out of the driver's seat! She was so excited to drive something without the steering wheel being three inches from her face. So, gotta have the power seat and adjustable pedals. We have reformulated our perfect bride (we decided she needed to lose weight, so she's gonna be a 2wd). I've been a good pest at the dealer, so they'll be happy when today or tomorrow, I order the following: '03 2500 QC SLT 2WD, HO 6spd, tow pack, tow mirrors, adj pedals, anti-spin, slider, and air dam. Now here's what we're still trying to figure out: leather or premium cloth (both have power seat), and maybe the security group, and probably the front hood protection, which I think is thick 3M clear pliable plastic and another 63 bucks at invoice.<br><br>We're so close, it's almost done 'cept the waiting.
Old 11-19-2002, 10:50 AM

Soundbrz, Sounds good. Has better half chosen a color? See mine , more pics in gallery. We got Premium Cloth because it is good in cold or hot weather, also when wet. The cloth wears well, my 98 the upholstry looked like new when I sold it, no sign of wear. Cloth breaths so you don't wrinkle clothes as easily when you perspire, wife likes that.
Old 11-19-2002, 11:08 AM

Atlantic Blue.<br><br>We'll probably go with the cloth, especially since I don't think you can get seat heaters in the SLT. Wife says &quot;no heat - no leather&quot;, but I like the smell, oh well, can always throw an old shoe in the back!!
Old 11-19-2002, 07:28 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

[quote author=soundbrz link=board=20;threadid=6955;start=0#69326 date=1037725696]<br>We'll probably go with the cloth, especially since I don't think you can get seat heaters in the SLT. Wife says &quot;no heat - no leather&quot;, but I like the smell, oh well, can always throw an old shoe in the back!! <br>[/quote]<br><br>Mercy, is that what smells in my new truck?
Old 11-19-2002, 11:54 PM

sound<br><br>Check out my Hunters Daisy pics in the photo album.<br><br>Atlantic blue Daisy<br><br>And Bob, whom knows what might be smelling in your beast?<br><br>Dead socks?<br><br> Hunter
Old 11-20-2002, 09:35 AM

Hunter, you have impeccable taste That's a great looking truck. I'm thinking of putting a snug-top ultravision on mine. Hoo boy, I've gotta stop thinkin' about this truck and get to work :'(
Old 11-20-2002, 03:08 PM

Re:Too late, just married.

It's a done deal, except for the excruciating wait.

on order: '03 2500 SLT QC 2WD SB; HO 6 spd; tow pack; tow mirrors; rear slider; anti-spin; adj. pedals; security group; fold-flat floor; leather wheel; premium cloth w/power seat; and fog lights. Atlantic Blue, gray interior.

yummy ;D
Old 11-20-2002, 03:35 PM

Re:Too late, just married.

Soundbrz,<br> Congrads ;D Now the hard part starts, waiting but it will give you time to figure out how to spend a bunch more money on goodies ;D ;D ;D<br><br>The Boss Hog<br>