3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2002, 11:13 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check Engine Light

I was driving down the road yesturday, when I thought I saw somthing red flash just for a second on the left side of the instrument cluster. Watched closely, but did'nt happen again...untill 3 hours later, it did it again. But I was ready this time, and yes, it was the check engine light. Came on for about 2 seconds, then went off. Have'nt seen it again. Anybody else expierence this? Already have an appt. at the ******* to fix the vibration problems. I'll mention this too.<br><br> Cat Cracker.
Old 11-15-2002, 12:19 PM

Re:Check Engine Light

I had the same problem. the dlr told me that there was no codes stored and that if I was concerned i could let a tech drive the vehicle over the weekend and have him monitor it... i told them what they could do with that idea... <br>I have had nothing wrong, most likey it is a loose connection in the dash.. truck is to new for me to let them keep it and have the tech break it in... No thanks.<br><br>What vibration are u experiening.. Also make sure they check the diff fluid... FYI
Old 11-15-2002, 01:48 PM
Chapter President

I did mention the diff. fluid level prob. to the service tech., ofcourse he looked at me like I was an idiot or somthing... :<br>The main vibration I get is between 50-55 mph, accelerating or decelerating, doesnt matter. When I push the clutch in , all the vibration goes away. When I am stopped, and I put the gear shifter in neutral, and let out on the clutch, it makes a noise. Not real loud, but I can definetly hear it in the cab. I dont take it in 'till wed., so I wont know much 'till then. <br><br> Cat Cracker.
Old 11-15-2002, 02:13 PM

I've had this same issue as well, four maybe five times. For sure it is the &quot;Check Guages&quot; light. The only thing I can figure out is based on the following observations:
1) each time it appears to be in the morning... 5-10 minutes after leaving the house but BEFORE the engine is COMPLETELY warmed up, as I'm accelerating to freeway speed.
2) each time I've seen it, I've scanned the guages and the only thing I notice is that the Oil Pressure is @ the high end of normal (I just had my 1st Oil Change so THAT may make a difference) but within seconds it drops down a fraction.
My ASSUMPTION (not a good word around Dodge's I'm finding) has been that the OP pressure guage has a &quot;trip threashold&quot; on it and (in conjunction with the theory that the OP guage is just there to make us feel good anyway) it may be just a tad off calibration causing the &quot;Look @ your dash, dumb-#$$&quot; light to come on.....
Old 11-15-2002, 02:16 PM

My service guy did the same thing when I told him. When he checked it.. His faced dropped he looked at me and i have a big ol ;D on my face... he had nothing to say...
Old 11-15-2002, 02:27 PM
Chapter President

I saw the look again today when I stopped at one of the local trailer sales places and I asked if he could get an install kit for my Reese 20k classic 5th wheel hitch. I got the typicall &quot;yeah, I got it in stock...&quot;when I said I dont think so, he got downright rude with me. I counted to 10, and then proceeded to enlighten him on the new frame issue with the '03's. He made a call to reese, and sure enough, he has to order the brand new kit...duh! : I did say &quot;I told you so&quot; just for fun as I walked out and went somewhere else to order the kit...Cat Cracker. ;D
Old 11-15-2002, 02:54 PM

My dealer just called me today. They said the check engine light is the fan clutch. It is not disengaging at high speeds.. So hopefully they will find what yours is. They said that is why it is flickering because it sticks then releases... sounds good to me... will be bring it back there on tuesday for repairs..
Old 11-16-2002, 12:26 PM

Wick<br><br>Now how in heck did they know that? Mine has come on, 4-5 times but only for milliseconds.<br><br>But, I do notice my fan going into the &quot;high&quot; mode at times for no apparent reason.<br><br>When is the fan supposed to kick into high anyway?<br><br>My nephew was bouncing around in elk country yesterday with me, he has a 2001 Cummins HO and said &quot;what's that noise&quot; when the fan kicked up to high. I told him the fan kicking up to high, and asked if his did that also.<br><br>He does not know.<br><br>Does anyone know if the 2G has the same fan system?<br><br>Is it just that you can hear it jump up to high with the quiet engines and can't with the rattlers?<br><br>Someone out there surely can answer the above<br><br>TIA<br><br>Hunter
Old 11-16-2002, 12:48 PM

[quote author=Hunter link=board=20;threadid=7073;start=0#67831 date=1037471203]
Is it just that you can hear it jump up to high with the quiet engines and can't with the rattlers?..............

Hunter
[/quote]

When the clutch engages on my 02' it's very evident......even above that cacaphonous engine, Hunter.

Unless the 03's are way different, I thought the fan clutch was strictly mechanical with no electrical monitoring involved.
Old 11-16-2002, 12:58 PM

Ok, so one question answered then. That &quot;high speed&quot; fan whirring is normal operation and should occur?<br><br>And when/why should it mostly occure?<br><br><br>Hunter
Old 11-16-2002, 01:25 PM

The fan clutch should lock up fully when the heated air passing across the clutch heat sink reaches a temperature of 175[sup]o[/sup]F.

[edit] It can also occur upon initial start-up as the silicone fluid is being distributed inside the clutch.
Old 11-16-2002, 02:11 PM

Comma<br><br>Thank you very much! It occurs on start up and it does occur when idling around it seems or when the temp could be rising!<br><br>I knew someone would have the answer!<br><br>Happy Hunter
Old 11-25-2002, 10:50 AM

Cat Cracker, <br><br>Saw a brief flash om my &quot;check engine light&quot;, aka &quot;Malfunction Indicatior Light&quot;, see page 127 in Owner's Manual.<br><br>I know it was was MIF because it was light just to the left of 8 volt marking. It flash for a second. Engine was at running temperature, speed at constant 45 mph in 5th on slight down hill slope. First time I've seen it in 2800 miles. <br><br>Dealers Tech said it is a non-event unless it happens frequently. No codes will be recorded unless it happens three times in a short time interval. Said it could be a momentary malfunction of an injector. <br><br>Guess there is no way for them to program these computers not to report a single isolated malfunction that is unimportant. <br><br> ???
Old 11-25-2002, 12:17 PM

[quote author=Commatoze link=board=20;threadid=7073;start=0#67860 date=1037474725]<br>The fan clutch should lock up fully when the heated air passing across the clutch heat sink reaches a temperature of 175[sup]o[/sup]F.<br><br>[edit] It can also occur upon initial start-up as the silicone fluid is being distributed inside the clutch.<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>actually the new style system is electical... i will take a pic when i pick it up from the dealer... that is how they turn it on when the a/c system is running... <br>