3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

TIPM issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TIPM issues?

New to the forum and in need of help. I've tried searching the forum and google for help but haven't come across a clear answer. So basically around christmas time my dads 07 5.9 dodge died on the road wouldn't crank over or anything. It was about -40 at the time so I just told him to get it towed to the shop as I didnt want to work on it in the cold outside. The diesel shop had it for nearly 2 months and they said the engine computer was fried and they were looking for a used one, well they never found one and we were sick of waiting so I went and got the truck. I figured the issue was the tipm so I removed it from the truck and tried it in a 06 5.9 dodge and tried the 06 tipm in my dads-no start no crank on either. I should also mention the CEL was flashing rapidly with a clicking noise under the hood, code reader wouldnt connect either. So anyway I removed the original tipm from my dads truck and took it apart and cleaned it then reinstalled. Truck fired up perfect and ran like a top for a week then suddenly died on the road again with the same flashing CEL and clicking noise from engine. Batteries are almost brand new, truck is stock other than a bullydog programmer. Would I be correct to assume the truck needs a new TIPM? And is there a way of positively testing to see if thats the issue? Wouldnt want to buy a new one and it not be the issue.

Thanks.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by 072500ram
New to the forum and in need of help. I've tried searching the forum and google for help but haven't come across a clear answer. So basically around christmas time my dads 07 5.9 dodge died on the road wouldn't crank over or anything. It was about -40 at the time so I just told him to get it towed to the shop as I didnt want to work on it in the cold outside. The diesel shop had it for nearly 2 months and they said the engine computer was fried and they were looking for a used one, well they never found one and we were sick of waiting so I went and got the truck. I figured the issue was the tipm so I removed it from the truck and tried it in a 06 5.9 dodge and tried the 06 tipm in my dads-no start no crank on either. I should also mention the CEL was flashing rapidly with a clicking noise under the hood, code reader wouldnt connect either. So anyway I removed the original tipm from my dads truck and took it apart and cleaned it then reinstalled. Truck fired up perfect and ran like a top for a week then suddenly died on the road again with the same flashing CEL and clicking noise from engine. Batteries are almost brand new, truck is stock other than a bullydog programmer. Would I be correct to assume the truck needs a new TIPM? And is there a way of positively testing to see if thats the issue? Wouldnt want to buy a new one and it not be the issue.

Thanks.
So I'm the only one who's had this problem? I find that hard to believe.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:56 PM

I don't frequent this site much so just saw your post.
Not sure if this will help but I had a problem once on my 2006 had a rapid flashing check engine light and no start.

Problem was a battery cable on driver side battery, positive terminal was corroded. It wasn't the cable that clamps to the post, but a cable attached to the clamp tightening bolt. I think that cable somehow feeds the ECM bolted to the side of the engine. If you look at the DS battery you should see what I mean. Clean all terminals well.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:12 PM

Thanks for the reply. I cleaned everything up as good as I could but then went to tighten one of the cables and broke the bolt, so ended up temporarily using vise grips to hold it tight. Truck fired right up but check engine light was on. My scanner made a connection now and code p2509 ECM/PCM power input signal intermittent popped up. I erased the code and truck is just idling now seems to be running good. Going to get a new bolt for the battery cable tonight and hopefully the problem disappears.