3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Those of you with 70 mph vibe.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 07:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those of you with 70 mph vibe.

I dont have the vibe but a guy I know at church did. He is a well respected local John Deere tech. The owner of the dealership we both bought our trucks from also goes to the same church so we all know each other. When he complained of the 70 mph vibe and they couldent fix it they let him have a try at it. He has the exact same truck as mine but a long box. He said they put new driveshafts and carier bearings and everything they could think of in. After none of that worked for the dealership and he started playing with it he loosened the engine mounts and tranie mounts. He then started the truck and run it for a second then shut it off and tightened it all back down. He said his 70 mph vibe was gone insantly. Just thought some of you may be getting desperate enough to try this. Maybey it will work for ya mayby not. I just thought I would throw it out there.

Now for the next part. Does anyone have a rearend vibe? He said he had one starting the first week of owning the vehicle. It was not present when he test drove the truck but it wasent long after taking it home that it showed up. He has been threw every component on the back of the truck and nothing has helped. He said it starts the second you start rolling and only gets worse the faster you go. When I say everything on the back of the truck I mean everything. 3 sets of shocks including Rancho 9000s, new leaf springs, new pinion shaft bearings, new rims and tires, And as a final resort a Kilderman(SP) air ride setup. Nothing has changed the vibe a bit. He took the distric rep(or who ever it was) for a ride in it and is now getting a new truck out of the deal. He has a six speed like mine and is getting an 05 auto. He realy dont want a auto I dont think but drove one for a few days and it was smooth so he is settling for it. Does anyone have any idea what the vibe may be from? I got the impresion he realy dont want to trade trucks but sees no other option, and from talking to him I dont see one either. Like I said he is a John Deere tech and has his truck all setup for running service calls and dont want to change it all over, plus his fifth wheel for his camper. Hoping someone has an idea what it may be. Thanks, sory to be so long winded.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a rear end vibe in my '00 and it was caused by a bad carrier bearing (in the pumpkin). Pretty interesting about the engine/trans mounts.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:26 PM

thanks bkrukow

i'll try it tonite

wifes '03 is an early one

had the vibe from the start, i'm friends with the mechanics and parts guys at the local dealership and we have tried everything ... that's why my wife and i really don't mind the vibe ...

anything i've suggested they've tried ... at their expense

we put the truck on the rack and disconnect both shafts and the vibe was still present ...

so i know it's not drivetrain in our truck

i've said many times i don't believe it's one thing but the frame that acts like a tuning fork ...

making ANY vibration feel worse
Old 03-08-2005, 10:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
This is off the topic but in (2broke2smoke)your sig. you have a pass airbag off switch. can you help me with more info (how,where to look etc.) Sorry to bud in!!
Old 03-09-2005, 02:49 PM

it's an easy swap ...
pull out the center section of your dash ...
pop out the plate that covers the location of the switch, the harness is clipped onto the back of the blockoff plate
pop the bezel (5HD08XDVAA) and the switch (56045496AA) in its place
have your dealer program the truck to recognize the switch ...
40$ and 5 minutes at home, the hardest part was finding the airbag on the programmer
i got out my bill and it also lists a sensor (5014197AA) ? its been a year and a half and i don't remember the specifics but it was an easy job ...
i also went to the national highway traffic safety administrations website and filled out an application to put the switch in (there used to be a link on here so do a search) faxed the app in and checked off the box that said i had to carry more than 3 kids in the truck at a time ... they sent me a letter of authorization ... kinda chapped my bottom to ask permission to work on my own truck but i'm legal that way

bkruko,

did just the tranny mounts in the driveway last night ... wife was excited about her ride to work ... "that got about half the vibration" had to buy a deepwell 18mm for the motor "mount through" bolt, as the shop manual calls it, i'll loosen all of 'em when she gets home

if this fixes the vibe it will have solved the longest mechanical mystery of my life
Old 03-09-2005, 05:39 PM

That was it !!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks ....

now we hear something hummin' a little at 75+

maybe the 35's

gonna drive it a few days

may loosen 'em up again and place a piece of mine belt under the tranny mount ...

4 bolts 5 minutes easy to do ... we don't drive that fast it just would be nice if we could get it perfect

thanks again
Old 03-09-2005, 06:50 PM

2broke2smoke- Glad to hear it worked now we just need to get a few more vibrators to tryit and see if it repeats. If this truly winds up working I will have to lagh a little. DC nodoughtlyspent all kinds of time and money trying to fix this and who knows how many trucks have been bought back because of this. And a John Deer tech winds up coming up with the fix. My truck is smooth as silk rite up to around 80 and then it makes a sound but no vibe. Thats OK though because I never drive that fast. Again glad to hear it worked for ya and be able to contribute something of worth to the site.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:23 PM

Wonder how many 18mm sockets sold tonight once 2broke2smoke posted good results. Im gonna try it tommoro night and I'll post results, hopefully good ones. My vibe isnt as bad as others but if it were gone completely i would be
Old 03-09-2005, 07:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Holy moly.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:32 AM

Now why in the world you people want to do this to me. Now I have to go by some more darn tools. I needed some new Craftman tools anyway... Thanks for the heads up...
Old 03-10-2005, 12:38 PM

Spent a couple hours going through this process, test drove truck... the same Still has the vibration around 70mph-75mph. Was worth a try, the Dodge rep told me Dodge knew of the vibration and frequency(he got real technical) but were not planning to address the vibe.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by xbowtie
Spent a couple hours going through this process, test drove truck... the same Still has the vibration around 70mph-75mph. Was worth a try, the Dodge rep told me Dodge knew of the vibration and frequency(he got real technical) but were not planning to address the vibe.
do you remeber the number he was throwing at you?

If we can get some data we may be able to effect a simple fix. If it's as simple as trial and error damping of a vibration there may be an easy solution.

I would need frequencies and locations of measurement, then it may be a matter of adding bracing or rubber to certian areas. It would be trial and error but hey, why not.

eric
Old 03-10-2005, 12:53 PM

No, I don't remember the numbers, I will try to find out though. I was in a daze when he basically told me to be happy, he had drove worse ones. After that comment everything he said to me went in my head as...... bla bla bla bla bla. I guess they figure if they can't fix it, baffle us with b.s. I will try to find the phone # to reach him at and see if I can get the numbers.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by xbowtie

Sory to hear this. Was worth a try. I will talk to the guy a church Sunday and get more acurate directions from him. Atleast it worked for 1 person so far. Hopefully more will chime in that have tryed it and have better results.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:54 AM

Yeah, if he says anything different than the original post mentions, let us know. I do not want to have to work on a new truck, but to avoid the waiting rooms, I'll try again. Thanks

Quick Reply: Those of you with 70 mph vibe.