3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Talked to Dodge engineer about mega-cab...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Talked to Dodge engineer about mega-cab...

Greetings from Kumamoto Japan! Another business trip.

Anyhow, the route over here forced me to change planes in Detriot and while I was waiting for the plane in an airport bar, I started shooting the breeze with a guy who turned out to work for Diamler-Chrysler's Dodge Ram design group.

I asked him about the mega cab and he said it's coming out in 2006.

He said the overall length of the truck is equal to the currrent Quad cab with an 8 foot bed.

But he said the mega cab will have the 6 foot bed, and that the extra length (20+ inches!) is going into making the cab that much bigger.

He said it will have the largest crew cab in the industry.

He also said it should be at all the big auto shows in January.

The guy was very interested in owner feedback, so I gave him this website address. He said Dodge has a group now working on a new Ram design due out several years from now.

Also, he did mention rumor has it that Cummins will have another increase in torque soon.

That's all folks!

DT.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:22 PM

So big wowie.......mega cab...but a mini bed.

Dodge still doesn't get it
Old 09-29-2004, 08:36 PM

Mega cab with a longbed you would need a swivel in the center to turn a corner. Sorta like a land train. Short bed works well for me . No 5er or gooseneck. I use a 16' lowboy for longer loads.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:29 PM

My question is how much more $, and if considerably more are they going to still offer the current quad cab size? I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

20 inches sounds like overkill. I would have been happy with half that.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:38 PM

If I were to "future trip" here a little, I could envision the need for a dually 4 door with an 8' bed. I recon as long as they keep the quad cab as an option, things would be good.

I am with ya on 20", dang!

Matt
Old 09-30-2004, 06:05 AM

The 20+ inches is alot for sure.

I bet they'll be plenty of leg room in the back, and a ton storage space behind the rear seat.

We'll see in January.

DT.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I guess this new MegaCab will only be available with single rear wheels since you need the 8 foot bed to fit the dually fenders, or am I mistaken?

Ya know...with all the extra profit DC is bringing in from removing items that once came stock (i.e. rear wheel wells), one would think they'd invest in a true MegaCab that could compete with the F's and C's. I guess they don't want to jump into the water but simply dabble their feet in. My comment to DC: "DON'T MIS THE WARM WEATHER WHILE IT LASTS!!!
Old 09-30-2004, 06:36 PM

I'll keep my 8' bed and my mini-cab..

You know, I agree that Dodge should check some of these sites to see what customers want but I removed all my personal info a while back just in case they come here and look at our sigs and try to use that info later to deny warranties...
Old 09-30-2004, 08:40 PM

Seems like the last time I checked the dodge q-cab has only 3" less leg room in the back than a cheby crew. Add a few more inches for a thicker/real seat and your at around 6-8" more cab length, 10" at the most. I hope 20" is a mistake!

DC gives new meaning to phrase "Meeting in the Middle"

The quad cab is half way between an extended cab and a crew
The mega will be half way between a crew and a SUV
Old 09-30-2004, 10:55 PM

I can tell you this at 18 inches you can put a front seat in the rear area, my neighbor wanted better seating, and more leg room, so he added 18 inches and was able to put a whole front seat in the rear of the vehicle and there enough leg room for a full size man and room for the kids to play on the floor.
Old 10-01-2004, 03:31 AM

Ya! That would just be a real SUV/truck. Not like that thing Hummer just came out with. I like their idea but the box looks like it's 4' long. What good is that?
Old 10-26-2004, 11:01 AM

I need an 8 foot bed for my newer LANCE camper
I hope they get it right.

What am I to do, take a 40K truck, cut it in half and lengthen it my self.
Who needs 20 inches more in the cab. I just need another 5 inches or so, so my **** teenage kids knees wont push in my front set while driving 8 hours

I have to tow a 32 foot race trailer and haul my LANCE. How come it seems the chevy and ford kooks have this and it seems we dont. We better get it in 06 or I will take this 95 cummins, but a salvage cab and build my own older mod with my current diesel instead of buying a new truck.

DAVE
Old 10-26-2004, 11:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Talked to Dodge engineer about mega-cab...

Originally posted by dieselnewbie
But he said the mega cab will have the 6 foot bed, and that the extra length (20+ inches!) is going into making the cab that much bigger.
Well, there went the 5th wheel RV market! If it's not (1.) a dually and (2.) a long bed, I'm not interested.

Rusty
Old 10-26-2004, 12:06 PM

I really wish the QC was a few more inches longer too...
Wish I had that extra 3" of bed (6'6" - not 6'3") - Makes the difference between having to kick a motor cycle to the side or keep it straight. That means I could put 2 in the bed instead of 1.
But I like the 140" WB driving around town and parking. (Ford ExtCab SB 142" WB 6'9" bed) (Ford CC SB 156" WB - 6'9" bed)

The Ford CC is 5" longer than the Dodge. In the front Dodge actually has 1" more leg room but the back is where the room is really felt. 3 or 4 more inches in the rear would be great!!! Especially for adults. A little deeper floor pan in the rear would also be nice.

But..... The Ford CC LB has 172" WB vs the Dodge QC LB has 160" WB...

I tell people the QC is really an Ext Cab and 1/2. That is what it feels like compared to the CCs.

Looks like Dodge could squeak the Mega cab in and still not be the "monster" truck on the market. I wonder if they are going to stretch out the WB any? Dodge has the most powerful diesel, highest ground clearences, tow ratings, etc. but the smallest QC/CC on the market Kind of doesen't fit with the whole "biggest, baddest, best" marketing thing
Dodge, "We have the best, longest lasting, most powerful drivetrain on the market....... in the smallest package " Really doesn't fit...

I think 20" more cab is over-kill, especially at the cost of bed length - which is already borderline too short. I'd rather see a 5-6" longer cab with another 3-6" of bed in the SB's. They should apply the Mega cab thing to making an Excursion competitor, 4 full doors, 3rd row seating, and a 4' bed. Know it sound's strange but that would be the ultimate SUV.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:22 PM

For me the sale of the Dodge came down to short bed, with a useful extended cab. The Ford extended cab is too small, and the CC truck, for my use, is just too big.

I like the size of the QC, but if they are going to do a real CC, then why go "huge" and eat the bed...maybe their strategy really is to hit the inbetween markets, leaving the standard sizes for Ford and GM?

Quick Reply: Talked to Dodge engineer about mega-cab...