3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Sticking gear shift on 48re getting worse

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Read further up (post #14) and you'll dind the clip to adjust the shift lever.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:30 PM

Smooth off the rooster tail and problem solved. You can try adjusting the other things until you are blue in the face. Trust me!!!
Old 07-25-2011, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by dodgediesel
Smooth off the rooster tail and problem solved. You can try adjusting the other things until you are blue in the face. Trust me!!!
Depends on how many miles are on the trans....
Old 07-26-2011, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by dodgediesel
Wrong. I did the cable adjustment and problem solved. Knowing where to look for the cable adjustment was a big help too, although the photo showed removal of the wrong clamp though. the actual clap for the cable adjustment is the lower "off white" clip under the spring. And you actually pull it tight to legnthen the throw, which I still don't understand, but it worked.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:30 AM

I bet from yr. to yr. and whatever the assemblers had on hand is the diff on cable adjustments....know how the muscle cars differ from each other...
Old 07-26-2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by mpracehemi
I bet from yr. to yr. and whatever the assemblers had on hand is the diff on cable adjustments....know how the muscle cars differ from each other...
No, mine was just from installing a transgo kit and a few Sonnex parts. Should not have had anything to do with the Rooster comb or any such linkage. All the original assembly went back in. Strange that it needed to be adjusted, but thanks again for taking the time to explain it and post a picture. I was pretty freaked out there for a while.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:42 AM

That's what these forums are here for...to help each other out. We each have our own opinion but with that, those of us have diff. routes to take to fix the issue at hand...better than handing over our hard eaned money to someone else to MAYBE fix the problem...

Plus it's more money to mod our trucks with ....
Old 06-23-2014, 08:14 PM

No hill parking, sprayed silicone under the selector and on the linkage, seemed to get a little better, but still hard to get out of park, brake made no difference1, 2 or 5 seconds. Parked this morning and the key would not turn to get out, wiggled the selector and out it came. Went out an hour later, started and the shifter moves several inches but does not come out of park. Cable is fine, will let you know the diagnosis.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by FunFinder5
This is great... I just got the truck and it has been hard to shift out of park from the moment I got it. I asked other Dodge Cummins owners and theirs is not hard to shift out of park. I wiggled this clip around during my lunch break today and it shifts out of park much smoother. It only hangs now 1/4th the time.... I'm going to adjust it more tonight at home and see if I can get it smooth 100% of the time.

Thanks...
I see this old thread has come back up. I posted the above back in 2009. I never followed back up to say my post was premature and moving that clip didn't do anything more than a sugar pill would do. If once out of park you can move between all the other gear selections smoothly like butter... this 'alignment clip' wont help you out one bit. If you have gear selection problems that might be caused by being out of alignment or there is a lot of 'wiggle' in your gear selector... then try to tighten up the slack by moving this clip.

What I didn't follow up on this post (and what you need to know if you want it fixed for good) is.... 6 months later I was sick and tired of wondering if I would break off the gear leaver and be stuck somewhere in park... So, I took the truck to a trusted transmission shop in my town. They found excessive wear on the gear selection comb in the upper valve body of the transmission. I was lucky that they were able to source and replace just the upper portion of my valve body for only $150 in parts. My total out the door at that time with parts and labor for replacing the upper valve body was less than $300.

Best money ever spent on the truck and I never had a problem with getting it out of park afterwards from the time I owned it from 2009 - 2013. Their work (and maybe another part they replaced) also cleaned up the annoying 2nd gear "shuttle shift" for the rest of the time I owned the truck. The 2nd gear shuttle shift would still happen... but only rarely unlike before where I could pretty much make it happen like a freak side show.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:29 PM

Backed up and did not want to go into park, a little wiggle and good to go until I started and tried to get out of park. Cable good, pulled valve body and rooster comb is a little rough, cleaned it up ball good, shifts easy with valvebody in hand but not when back in. Does it need to be running to shift? Dealer thought it could be a transducer or solenoid issue, ant thoughts?