3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Steering Box on 2005

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Steering Box on 2005

The steering was getting really loose on my truck (50,000 mi). I was chasing it all over the highway and figured the ball joints were shot. At about the same time, the drive axle U's went out and were replaced by the dealer under PT Warranty.
While they were at it, I had them change the upper and lower ball joints because I figured that was the problem with the loose steering. They installed Moog with the grease zerk at my request.
I got the truck back and it still drove like garbage. All over the road and very unsafe. I took it back and had them re-align it. No change. They said my tires were wore a little funny and that could be causing the "darting". I replaced the tires with brand new BFG All-Terrain (E-Load) factory size and had them re-align. Still no change.

I installed a steering stabilizer after reading on here thinking that would help. It did not. Two seperate alignment shops and myself could not find any loose components under the truck.

Symptoms - When I drive the truck straight down the road, I can move the wheel from roughly 11 to 1 o'clock with no change in the tires. I am thinking this "slack" is what is causing the loose feeling because I have to go so far over center to correct. I know the older Dodge's had steering box issues. Does this sound like a bad steering box? Is there a way to take up that slack in the steering? Are the aftermarket boxes available for III gen's?
Old 10-17-2008, 07:38 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My 06 is going in for its second steering box. Look at the sector shaft, grad the steering wheel shaft and move it back and forth while watching the pitman arm sector shaft combo. Look for any side to side play, also look for a fluid leak or heavy rust at the point where the sector shaft enters the steering box. Any play at all in this area will cause your symptoms and warrants steering box replacement. If the wandering is as bad as you say, then I bet you can just grab the pitman arm and move the sector shaft back and forth. Make sure the truck is on level ground and the wheels straight with no load on the steering components before you check it. Do not jack it up to do this inspection.

Tim
Old 10-17-2008, 10:37 AM

Sounds like a bad steering box...They can be adjusted to a tighter setting however.

Who's stabilizer did you install?
Old 10-17-2008, 10:42 AM

It's a PSC Stabilizer. I did not notice any leaking, rust, or side to side play in the lower shaft when I installed it. I didn't really pull on it though. Can the box be bad without slop in that lower shaft? What about the steering shaft going into the box? Can slop develop there?

I would thing the Dodge dealer or the alignment shops would have noticed if there was play in that lower shaft. I suppose they could have missed it though.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:55 AM

How do you adjust it? Allen screw on top?

Doesn't that just put more force on the bearing? Or is there an adjustment that actually takes up the slop?

Sure is frustrating.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:02 AM

Screw on top. It has been a while since I have done that and it seem to help a hair. I also installed the DSS at the same time.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:12 AM

the gear box can be adjusted tighter , what?
Old 10-17-2008, 11:21 AM

I don't really think so. Sounds like a really good way to wreck stuff. From what I read, it doesn't take any slack out, it just makes turning the wheel harder which some people thinks improves the "tightness" feel of the steering.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:02 PM

turning that screw causes the gear teeth to mesh tighter, but since this affects the entire range of teeth movement, you will get binding when you turn the wheels sharp. this is because the teeth are worn only in the spot they spend most of their time, so tightening the screw will fix the problem at that spot, but the binding ensues if you steer further over to the non-worn section of teeth.

replacing the box is pretty much the only solution.

My '03 is due- it too displays the sloppiness in when going straight down the road.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:19 PM

Are there any companies that make aftermarket boxes?