3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Some negative thoughts on removing the turbo "silencer" ring...

Old 12-27-2004, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Some negative thoughts on removing the turbo "silencer" ring...

I just saw some pics on nickoleinoens photo page. http://community.webshots.com/user/nickleinonen/1

He has a pic on there of a Holset turbo without the silencer ring and with it. I know alot of you guys are pulling the rings out. But do you think it is really improving performance? Or just producing more noise? In my opinion I think it may reduce performance due to air turbulance. The air path into the turbine intake blade should be as smooth as possible. If you look at high performance vehicles that run turbos (Diesel and Alchol pulling tractors, turbo drag cars, etc) the intake for the turbo is very smooth in its reduction to the turbo intake. Very similar to a jet aircraft engine. When the silencer ring is pulled...it leaves this big rough groove all the way around the turbine opening. I certainly see why the turbo becomes louder! With the ring gone, air turbulence must have a dramatic increase!

The vehicles I have been around that have alot of turbo wine either have really big turbos (big rigs, dozers, etc), have low resistriction/ no air filter (race cars, pulling tractors, etc) and/or have low restriction exhaust systems.

I would love to know what others think about taking the ring out. Even better would be some actually Dyno data before and after sliencer ring surgery.

Just a thought....
Old 12-27-2004, 10:57 PM

I remember seeing posts here before with installed and removed dyno runs. They were both supposed to be the same. They also said that the silencer ring is only used on the Dodge and not other versions of the 5.9 cummins. Try a search and I think you will find some interesting reading on this.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:22 PM
Banned

The only gain you get from removing the silencer ring is noise I didn't notice any loss when I removed mine no boost pressure no egt difference and definitely no power loss
Old 12-27-2004, 11:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. After I removed my ring, there was very little increase in turbo noise which bummed me out because I wanted more noise. That led me to believe that the silencer ring isn't really there for silencing. After I removed the baffles in the intake tube the turbo noise became very noticable. However, I didn't try putting the silencer ring back in after removing the baffles to see which component was doing the most at reducing turbo noise.

After removing the silencer ring I noticed no change in performance. Power or MPG.

Are there any Cummins techs on the board who know what that ring is really for?
Old 12-28-2004, 02:22 AM

more turbo noise is good

i may stick the silencer ring back in and see if it gives a seat of pants difference...just need to modify the snap ring a bit to make it easier to remove if i want it out..
Old 12-28-2004, 02:39 AM
Banned

holset designed their MWE compressors to be run without a silencer ring... theoreticly, they should peform better without a silencer ring, but practice has shown that they perform the same either way... therefore, all the ring does is keep the noise down... if you like it loud, take it out... no difference in performance either way.

Forrest
Old 12-28-2004, 11:41 AM

Hmm...very intresting. Thanks for the info guys. I would have guess it would drop power a little.

So what is the deal with the intake baffles? Are they easy to remove? That sounds like that may be a better route in getting some turbo whine! Which I could use by the way!
Old 12-28-2004, 11:58 AM
Banned

take the intake baffle out, and run an open element air filter. it'll scream like crazy then.

Forrest
Old 12-28-2004, 12:09 PM

I got 300 degree lower EGT's and about 90 additional RWHP with ring removed!

Nah, I wish it was that easy. I never noticed any difference besides noise on any of my past/ present trucks.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:51 PM

The ring serves one purpose, noise reduction. The Ram is the only application that has one in it, as stated above.

There are no performance gains.

FWIW - silencer ring, baffles, and white thingy in bottom 90 right before the turbo are all MIA on my rig.

Got my Scotty on this morning and it screams. With the stacks, I sound pretty cool!

Matt
Old 12-28-2004, 01:05 PM

Is there a proper way to remove the baffles?? I took my intake tube off and saw the intake baffles, but it looked like they had to be cut out? Any suggestions or pictures would be great because I want to HEAR the turbo..
Old 12-28-2004, 01:27 PM

I would simply get a replacement section. Geno's sells one called an Eliminator Pipe. That's what I have. Nice shiny thing, bolts right in. Don't have to destroy the original one.

Matt
Old 12-28-2004, 02:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like the idea of getting a replacement section because I ended up taking mine out the hard way. Had to crack the seal on one end of the baffle tube in order to get them out. That seal is a glued joint so you are essentially breaking it when you take it apart. I just did a search of "intake baffle" and there is a lot of info out there. Someone used a sawzall and another guy used a chisel to get the baffle out.

To get it back together after I broke it, I pre-drilled and then used some stainless steel screws. To ensure an air-tight seal I wrapped the joint with electrical tape. I didn't want to glue it back together in case I wanted/needed to put the baffles back in. They've been out for several months now and most likely will never go back in......shoulda glued the joint with epoxy.

In hindsight, a replacement section is a better idea especially if it is easy and relatively cheap to get.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:40 PM

To remove my baffles, I just got a screwdriver and pried off one of the end caps, the baffles slid right out. Then, just put a bead of super glue on it and it was good to go. Did that almost 6K miles ago and no problems with it. I also removed the white elbow in the lower half and the the silencer ring as well.

The ring is the first thing I removed and I noticed a difference in the Turbo howl. Then I did the baffles and elbow and then came an intake... huge difference from stock.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:50 PM

I put my silencer ring, stock intake tube and air filter back in last week before I took it into the dealer. I thought that the truck had a little less lag off the line, spooled a tiny bit faster. It was way to quiet though, it's back to normal now

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Some negative thoughts on removing the turbo "silencer" ring...