3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Short bed vs long bed...advantages/disadvantages...

Old 03-27-2004, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Short bed vs long bed...advantages/disadvantages...

Besides being 21 inches shorter, is the short bed disadvantaged when it comes to accepting all the same hitches a long bed can take?

Or are they the same in that departent?

Also, does the long bed have a higher resale?

How does the long bed handle vs the short bed?

Is the long bed that much harder to park?

What is your preference?

Thanks for your input!

DT.
Old 03-27-2004, 04:43 PM

The longer the wheelbase the better it will ride & handle. I dont know about parking because I always park on the empty side of the lot usually 3-4 spaces If you ever tow a trailer you will enjoy the long bed (not as much tail waggin' the dog, if ya will) Besides the 3rd gens the short beds are x-tra short
Old 03-27-2004, 04:59 PM
Banned

All depends on what you want/need
If ride and resale are your main objectives, long bed
If you like to garage your truck and don't like driving a school bus, short bed
I have had both, (this being my first short bed) and will never go back to a long truck. Ever.
Check what is on the road most. They are the most popular. You can overcome the shortbed with trailer hitches that slide, however I don't need one with my truck. Best of luck
Old 03-27-2004, 05:18 PM

If you are even remotely interested in the long bed.

Get IT!

I have a swb truck and the lwb.
Yes, the lwb is hard to park, but the ride and look is great.

The Swb is more of a grocery getter.

--Justin
Old 03-27-2004, 05:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had short beds for a long time until I got these 2 trucks. They are both standard cabs so if you had an extended cab short bed the wheel base would be pretty close to the same. As far as towing I like the long bed better. And if you haul anything that takes up a lot of space like hay, firewood, etc., the long bed is the only way to go. I don't think I will ever go back to a short bed even if I get a quad cab truck, just too handy.
Old 03-27-2004, 06:02 PM

I have a shortbed, got it mainly because of price and had the options I wanted, but doing it again, I would DEFINATELY get a longbed.

Towing, looks, capacity, resale...............IMO longbed is definately better

Just my .02 cents
Old 03-27-2004, 06:13 PM

Traded in my Ford PSD Crew long bed for the Dodge Quad short bed. Got really tired of trying to wiggle the big 24' jet boat at the ramp. The short bed tows just fine actually I like towing with the short bed better. Havent really noticed a big difference in ride on these less than perfect Alaskan roads. I guess it boils down to what you are using the truck for where you live, your driveway, and numerous other factors.
Old 03-27-2004, 08:33 PM

We like our short bed since we can get it in the garage...

Also likely a bit easier to park, etc. We have a slider hitch and do have to be a bit careful if want to make a very sharp turn with the slider in the tow position (no problem if move the hitch to the maneuver postion but this slider position is only for very low speeds).

Seems to me the answer would depend upon your needs - we're happy with our short bed for our RV but could see why someone hauling with the bed would want a long bed.

Good luck on your decision!!
Old 03-28-2004, 05:49 AM

Never have had a LB. I've got the SB and love it If I were to do it again I would get the LB Dually only because I would want the extra weight carrying capability.
But I love my SB, it rides like a car and handles just GREAT
Old 03-28-2004, 10:18 AM

This is how the previous owners of my house solved the problem of parking their extended cab 2500 long bed in the garage. It fits the back end of my trucks perfectly. I still prefer the long bed.
Old 03-28-2004, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by fschiola
This is how the previous owners of my house solved the problem of parking their extended cab 2500 long bed in the garage. It fits the back end of my trucks perfectly. I still prefer the long bed.
I guess so!

LOL!
Old 03-28-2004, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by fschiola
Now that is funny! I'd love to do the same thing, but I haven't been able to convince the little lady to give up any living room space!

Old 03-28-2004, 11:32 AM

Short bed is a waste of a great DIESEL.Sorry.I know I'll get flamed.But shortbeds are for the most part as handy as ***** on a boar hog.I do own a S/b truck.Wifes truck,great for grocerys and pinestraw.On TDR I had folks say the oppistie and that resale would not be hindered.Then I saw a guy who just lost his job post that when he ran ads on his 03 s/b that when people called and he said it was a S/b they said OH but no thanks.I also know two folks that when turning a gooseneck around and jackknifing it busted out rear glasses etc.because they hit quicker.Not anywhere near the clearance a L/b has.just my 02 worth.As far a parking.I drive my dually anywere including Downtown Atlanta and always manage.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:39 AM

Yes I agree a short bed reduces the utility of the truck and the CTD.

That's why I'm thinking about the long bed.

My Harley won't fit in a SB with the tailgate up but it will (based on the dimensions I've read, haven't seen or tried it yet) in a long bed.

I'm just curious how much of a pain the LB is to drive as a daily driver, since 99.9% of the time I won't be carrying my bike in the back.

I'm wondering if it's worth it, still haven't decided.

Thanks for your input!

DT.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:44 AM

Personally I think Resell will be better on the short beds than the long bed.......... Resell is typically better on whatever is more popullar. I see way more QC short beds than long beds running around.

Bottom line is What you need the truck for. Personally there's not much you can't do in a short bed that you can do in a long. I've had them both and prefer the short bed. It's alot better to drive around town since it's turning radious is so much tighter. I would not go long bed unless I was getting a Dullie.

JMO

Rich

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Short bed vs long bed...advantages/disadvantages...