3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Short bed vs long bed...advantages/disadvantages...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its been 10 years since I've seen surveys pretaning to this but then S/B were most popular for FIRST time truck buyers but SECOND time truck buyers L/B were hands down more popular.This was surveys by the big 3.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by Hounddog
Its been 10 years since I've seen surveys pretaning to this but then S/B were most popular for FIRST time truck buyers but SECOND time truck buyers L/B were hands down more popular.This was surveys by the big 3.
I would have to think that has changed....... otherwise, the majority of the CTD's on the lots would be longbeds. I don't think the majory of CTD's are first time truck owners. 90% of the CTD's on the lots around here are short beds. I'm not sure what they are like everywhere else, but it's been that way around here since about 98 or so.
Old 03-28-2004, 05:52 PM

As you can see...everyone has a different and valid reason and they are all good! Short bed vs. Long Bed. It all depends on how YOU are going to use your truck. I have the LB because I re-hab homes. Hate to hang 4X8 drywall, lumber or plywood out the back. I also tow a 5th wheel. If you tow a trailer, or 5th wheel, in the previous posts you can see why some people had problems with jack-knifing. Also, with a longer wheelbase you will get a better ride. As far as re-sale, I don't know. the same goes for fuel milage, althought I don't think there would be much difference.

P.S. I Love my truck...short or long... they're GREAT !!!
Old 03-28-2004, 10:29 PM

Yeah Murray you're right.

I just have to make the decision and live with it.

Maybe Dodge will someday make a bed that can "accordian" in and out so we can have both 6.25 and 8 foot beds.

Thanks,

DT.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:15 PM

The nice thing about the longbed is the bed gives you lots of room for your dock line when you tie up at the pier!!!!
Old 03-29-2004, 12:52 AM

I asked my dealer where all his longbeds were. He said If you want a longbed here in Michigan you would have to order it special cause no dealers stock them, nobody buys them. He said the last one he had he had to wholesale to another dealer cause he couldn't sell it.......
Old 03-29-2004, 04:04 AM

Originally posted by dieselnewbie
Yes I agree a short bed reduces the utility of the truck and the CTD.

That's why I'm thinking about the long bed.

My Harley won't fit in a SB with the tailgate up but it will (based on the dimensions I've read, haven't seen or tried it yet) in a long bed.

I'm just curious how much of a pain the LB is to drive as a daily driver, since 99.9% of the time I won't be carrying my bike in the back.

I'm wondering if it's worth it, still haven't decided.

Thanks for your input!

DT.
If you want to bring things along with the harley you will want the tailgate closed. If you will ever pull a trailer behind the truck you will need the tailgate closed. I never trusted the tailgate cables to support weight long term.
Had crew cab long bed ford and now quad cab long bed dodge. Duallys on both. If you can't park it or it is just to big for you buy an S10 or some other sissey truck. So many posts say it will be so hard to park and it just isn't so. Adjust your mirrors, learn how to use them, and get used to your truck and parking is not a problem. Back those duallys in and your wheel wells are up with the front fenders of most cars. They can get into there car without hitting your duals and you can park in normal size spaces. For hauling that harley I would want a longbed and tailgate up. I would hate to look back and see my loading ramp and cooler sliding out the back of the bed. Up to you good luck and happy riding. dave
Old 03-29-2004, 05:46 AM

I agree,go with what you need the truck to do. I wanted a long box for several reasons:a)looks-the short boxes look a little funny,b)towing and ride-I wanted a 3500 because next spring we are planning to purchase a fifth wheel trailer and didn't want to be limited in trailer size and I was concered about the short box 3500 being a rough
truck. As for parking- I would never park in tight areas because some @$%# would probably door my Ram.....Garage is no problem.....too tall to fit....

2004.5 3500 SRW Quad Cab 4x4 '600'CTD SLT 6sp Manual 3.73 LSD Atlantic Blue
Old 03-29-2004, 06:45 AM

I use my truck a lot to haul equipment around to deliver to my customers. I had a SB Chevy as my last truck and I hated it because I couldn't get much in it before it was full. I will never have a short bed truck again. As others have said, it's all in what you want and need. Personally I don't care for the looks of the shortbed but if it has a Cummins, I think it's coooool!!!!!!!

Actually, I think a standard cab with a long bed looks best of all because it seems more stout. I need the extra doors for the family though.....
Old 03-29-2004, 01:28 PM

I got the short bed because I take mine off road a lot during hunting season and just to have fun. Navigating around rocks and trees, backing out of places I shouldn't have gone (or turning around), making he sharp turns in a switch-back, and getting through those water diversion bumps they put on dirt roads to prevent ruts is a lot easier with the short bed than the long bed.

F11Engineer
Old 03-29-2004, 01:59 PM

My ATV wouldn't fit in my 03 short bed w/o the tail gate down. Now, with the l/b, I can hold the ATV and other stuff. Rides better too. Parking isn't much worse than before; they're both bad.
I'll never own another short bed.
Old 03-29-2004, 02:13 PM

I have never had a SB truck, due to my slide-in camper.....I have a buddy at work that owns a SB and he was extremely limited in the size camper he could get. I got used to and live with the long bed while unloaded.....just back into the parking spaces.

LBs are more versitile, except for maneuverability as was mentioned above......but I wouldn't take my 7500 lb truck off roading.....might scratch the paint!
Old 04-02-2004, 07:46 AM

Looking at this in another perspective,Dodge offers three wheelbases in Rams. they are as follows 120.5 gas only / 140.5 diesel and gas / 160.5 diesel and gas quad cab only. I wanted a wheelbase around 140" as the primary decision maker , then chose to lose some bed for cab room for what I do with the truck.That can be a long discusion in itself ! Back to the point though, I've drivin early jeeps with less than 100" wheelbases for great off road manners and test drove a friends ford crew cab long bed with something like a 170" base. It all depends on what you do most of and will the vehicle still do the rest safely !!!! My opion on this decision starts with the wheelbase.
Mark T.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:05 AM

You may be right.

Check it out:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ults&pollid=43
Old 04-02-2004, 09:29 AM

Throw a tool box in a SB and then your bed is almost nothing.

Quick Reply: Short bed vs long bed...advantages/disadvantages...