3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Short bed vs long bed...advantages/disadvantages...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cart before Horse sort of decision. Most people buy short beds because the dealers stock them and they have better selection on the lot, and they push them. Towing a fiver is just a pain in the butt. A short bed does look much better usually than a long bed when sitting side to side. A four door truck with a short bed looks well....short changed. If you value function and flexibility over form than a long wheel base long bed is the way to go. I had a short bed for a month. My ATV tie on straps, 3 of four snapped on rough roads going over a monster bump. Short bed, spring board, tail gate down, ATV gone, $600 damage, trade in on lwb, ARGGGG. KS
Old 04-02-2004, 03:55 PM

Almost all the s/bs everyone see's they think are gassers anyway.Seems most folks don't connect a s/b being a diesel.
Old 04-02-2004, 07:35 PM

If everyone had one of each, we wouldn't be here in this situation.
Old 04-03-2004, 10:13 PM

just back into the parking spaces.

What's the benefit of backing in? Is it much easier to get in/out? When I parked the long wheel base trucks I test drove I ended up in the spot next to where I thought I should be. I'm sure I'd get used to it but not in a 10min test drive
Old 04-05-2004, 12:07 PM

The disadvantage of the SB is that sometimes you wish you had a LB. The disadvantage of the LB is that sometimes you wish you had a SB!!
Old 04-05-2004, 12:19 PM

Thank you for that very concise and thoughtful response.

Great post!

LOL!
Old 04-05-2004, 12:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The disadvantage of the SB is that sometimes you wish you had a LB. The disadvantage of the LB is that sometimes you wish you had a SB!!
Why not get a bed extender and have the best of both???

I had the longbed (PSD) and it was too long to maneuver even with just the extended cab. I can't even imagine what it must be like with the full crew cab. The test drives with the QC SB were incredible - from the maneuverability standpoint. I figure I can add a $250 bed extender and solve the half dozen times a year where I need the extra 2ft in the bed (like moving my daughter in/out of her college apt.).

My only concern is towing the 5er. I've already discovered that I'm going to want (need is strong word) a Pullrite auto sliding hitch. Since the Dodge is so short and my 5er has a non-extended pinbox, I have to get the most expensive one they sell (with 14 inches of travel) to clear the trailer from hitting the cab. A hitch for a long bed wouldn't be more than about $700. I'm looking at about $2750 for setup that will work for me - a premium for the improved handling that I wasn't totally prepared for. I still don't know what lies in store for me when pulling, but lots of folks are satisfied in doing it.

Neil
Old 04-05-2004, 02:32 PM

Thanks for the response.

My problem is that I wouldl like to carry a motorcycle or two.

A bed extender would allow enough room for a large bike but the rear wheel of the bike would still be sitting on the tailgate.

That's too much weight for that little cable, imagine hitting a pothole, etc.

I was thinking about possibly makeing some kind of steel bracket to go in place of the cable when I wanted to use the truck that way.

You're right the Quad cab with the long bed, it would be a HUGE vehicle.

Probably too long for a daily driver.
Old 04-05-2004, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by dieselnewbie
Thanks for the response.

My problem is that I wouldl like to carry a motorcycle or two.

A bed extender would allow enough room for a large bike but the rear wheel of the bike would still be sitting on the tailgate.

That's too much weight for that little cable, imagine hitting a pothole, etc.
Depends on the bike - a full size cruiser or goldwing might get the weight of the rear tire on the tailgate, but anything smaller will get the tire contact patch in the bed. I hauled a BMW R1100RT around for 5k miles this summer with no tailgate on at all, no problems.

Even with the tire on the tailgate, I wouldn't sweat it for short trips - unless the tire is most of the way to the end of the tailgate, most of the weight is born by the hinge, not the cable.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:01 PM

When putting my tail gate down on the short bed for atving, I got lots of rock chips and a few small dents on the tail gate. Kind of a weird place for rock chips...
Old 04-05-2004, 07:04 PM

Really? On a short bed?

I assume you had the tailgate down/open with maybe a bed extender.

I just looked up your bike's wheelbase, which is ~59". Mine, a Harley FXDL has a wheelbase greater than 65".

Wheelbase is measured axel to axel right?

I'll have to get more precise measurements.

I was thinking of rigging some pretty wide angle iron to ti fit under the rear tire and extend well into the bed to spread the weight of the bike mostly over the bed.

I'm sure I can fix something.

You say your rear tire was completely off the tailgate and inside the bed?

Did you use a bed extender?

Tnanks alot,

DT.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:51 PM

I've towed heavy trailers with both long and shortbed '04 2500 4x4's. Same trailer, same trucks except for bed length. Long bed had more of the "dog ****** a football" look with loaded trailer, ie.rear bumper closer to road surface. Didn't notice a difference in handling. Trailer is v-nose gooseneck however, so I could see a flat nose 5er being a problem for tight turns.
In this province and from trucks I've seen on the Interstates, short beds seem to be far more common. Around here, long beds are commonly referred to as "farm trucks", and don't fetch near the resale of a SB.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:56 PM

I hauled a BMW R1100RT around for 5k miles this summer with no tailgate on at all, no problems.

I've got a R1150RT, which if anything has a slightly shorter wheelbase. Your RT fit just fine in the Dodge SB? I only ask because it's supposed to be a few inches shorter than most 6.5' beds.

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2004, 11:25 PM

Guys with the bikes

You might want to check out sliding cargo bed, I have one for my planes etc. it works great.

http://www.cargobed.com/

Jack.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by PADZZ
When putting my tail gate down on the short bed for atving, I got lots of rock chips and a few small dents on the tail gate. Kind of a weird place for rock chips...
I second that.

Quick Reply: Short bed vs long bed...advantages/disadvantages...