3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

shifting the 6speed trans.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2002, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:shifting the 6speed trans.

The problem with the 03 engines droping they're RPM's slow is because they are an electronicly controled engine. There is no mechanical linkage to the fuel pump. Instead there is a wire or set of wires coming from the ECU. The fuel pedal operates a type of reostate. When you press down on the pedal your basiclly telling the computere how much RPM you want, and the computere tries to give you that RPM with maximum preformance. Now the reason they sometime don't drop the RPM to quickly is because you haven't backed off the fuel pedal enough before you shift. When you disengage the clutch with the engine still pulling it takes a second or two for the computere to figure out there is no more load. The newer highway tractors with the electronic engines are the same way. <br>To shift smooth and have the RPM's drop a little quicker try pulling back on the fuel pedal nice and easy till you don't fell her pulling anymore then shift. You have to take your time kinda.
Old 11-15-2002, 08:55 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:shifting the 6speed trans.

On an interesting note, you have to watch the governor on the 6 speed when driving on slippery road conditions. Icy patches are especially bad. This past weekend, I got on the throttle a bit to get moving in traffic. The rear wheels started to spin, so I got off the throttle quick, but revs kept climbing, another 700 RPMs! Right about that time, I hit dry pavement and just about crawled into a Toyota's trunk.<br><br>And again yesterday, I was taking off from a stop sign on ice and pushed the accelerator about 1/2 way down. When I realized it was going to be too much go-pedal, I got off, but RPMs continued to climb.<br><br>I think Dodge is going to have to revisit the calibration of the governor/TPS/load.<br><br>Rod