3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Schaeffer Oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Schaeffer Oil

Has anyone had any experience with Schaeffer Oil? I was given a "demo" by a rep and it was very impressive (of course). It was their "700" formula.
Old 01-24-2004, 05:44 PM

Additives

Check out " bobistheoilguy.com" he has an area on his site refering to Oil additives. Spent quite a bit of time checking out his sight, and decided that if cummins or dodge don't recommend these products they will not go in my truck. Believe he has an article about high flow air filters and dirt showing test results. Its your truck you decide. Tried some of these products on a gas engine in the past and don't believe any of them has done a thing for me. 96 jeep grand cherokee is stock with 136000 miles on it. Used FRAM filters and PENNZOIL 10W-30 on it all this time changing oil & filter every 3500 miles. Dam thing still runs real strong & surprises me when that little V8 gets out on the highway. My dodge gets FRAM filters and DELLO 400 before the engine is shot just about everything else on it will due for replacing and then I'll buy a new better DODGE truck.
Old 01-24-2004, 05:52 PM

The Schaeffer 700 Supreme is an oil that is a synthetic blend. It is supposed ly approved for all diesels as per their web site but I would like some 1st hand testimonial(s) if possible. Otherwise I hear a lot about the Dello you mention but I cannot get it anywhere ar ound here. I just changed the oil in my 3500-w-Rotella but would like something better when I have broken it in fully.
Old 01-25-2004, 02:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
vhern. . . . Do *NOT* I repeat do *NOT* use Fram oil filters on your Cummins. If I were you I would go out and buy a good oil filter today and replace it TODAY.

There have been several engine failures I've read about between here and TDR caused by Fram oil filters. It's well known/established they're the lowest quality filter out there. There was a writeup a few issues ago in the Turbo Diesel Register magazine where several filters were taken apart and the Fram was the most inferior by far. Not even in the same league as the other filters you can buy. Sorry if I'm coming across strong but trust me, you don't want one on there.

The reason several Cummins engines fail with them is because the media comes loose and circulates through the oiling system and plugs the critical piston-cooling jets and the piston goes into meltdown under a load. The engine starts knocking and it's done for.

Go to Napa or somewhere and at least get a Wix or Napa Gold filter, but I suggest going to a truck shop or ordering Fleetguard Stratapore oil filters from www.genosgarage.com

Anyway, welcome to DTR, sorry if it wasn't a very warm one
At least you're putting really good oil into your truck
Old 01-26-2004, 07:16 AM

Hey PPSI,
I started using the schaeffers 700 supreme 15w-40 this fall. It does have the CI rating so it will run in the 'new' trucks with no issue. I have been very pleased with it. Excellent cold starting properties and can take alot of heat with out burning (good for turbo bearings). They claim extended drain, but max on my truck is 7500 miles (still in warrenty) so thats what I do, I beleive I could run the schaeffers further but dont see the point. On rotella I changed a about 5K and felt in needed changed there, just going by seat of the pants and sound. At $12.00 a gallon I think its a pretty good deal, A nice comprimise between expensive synthetics and and standard dino's.
Here is a link to Schaeffers 700 supreme 15w-40 , maybe we'll get some more feed back from others.

I AM NOT assosiated with Scheaffers oil in any way other that I like it.

Duane W

EDIT:

I do run the stratosphere Fleetguard oil filter and fleetguard fuel filters. I also run the schaeffer's fuel additive.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:02 AM

I would really like some more input as you would. It is confusing to me because unless I am mistaken somewhere on their site it says for pre 94 vehicles and I heard something about the 700 "fouling" the catalytic converter. Is there a way to get more opinion on this product. I know this sounds rediculous but when I chabge the oil the stuff runs down the filter on two of my vehicles and I wrap a rag around it to make it so I can handle it. Anyway this stuff is SO slick I can hardly grap it and hold it.???
Old 01-26-2004, 02:14 PM

I use Schaeffers all the time, its great ! and works, on thing I have noticed with outher oils when you add water it turns milky, schaeffers dosent do it.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by ppsi
unless I am mistaken somewhere on their site it says for pre 94 vehicles and I heard something about the 700 "fouling" the catalytic converter.
This is probably more associated with gasoline engine. There is some opinion that a diesel oil should not be used in a gasser due to the possibility that when burned the diesel oil will have more byproducts that will foul CAT CONs and 02 sensors. This is not particullarly applicable to diesels.