3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

thinking on buying a 03

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thinking on buying a 03

I found a 2003 dodge ram, 3rd gen. 4x4 crew cab long bed for 9995
It has 286000 miles. The body is fair, No rust but it has some scratches and a couple small dents. the interior is clean, It has a ripped seat. and some of the window panel control switches are loose.. when i stopped to look the dealer was closed, Im going back monday afternoon to run it and test drive it and such. It was unlocked so i popped the hood and it was the 24v ho. It had something around the head. Looks like black build up. It didnt have a certain smell or anything. the oil and trans fluid were clean. The truck has a exhaust but it drops out before the rear wheels, I couldnt locate a tip. I called the dealer and he said it was straight piped from the turbo back.

I asked the one question on if it smokes cause that would tell me if its been tuned. He said it runs good with no smoke.

I do like the truck and it seems like the price is right but im not sure what to expect with that kind of mileage.

Any input on what to expect during the test drive and what to look for and ill let you all know how it goes.

I just need to know what to look for when im driving it

Thanks

Jeremey
Old 10-02-2011, 07:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a crap shoot with anything with that many miles - especially 4x4s. Gen 3 4x4s are noted for the death wobble from worn out front end parts. Try all the AC/heat modes and make sure the air comes out all the right vents - they are known for broken damper/linkages. Maybe the rocker box or cover has been seeping oil and nobody ever cleaned it. Check for codes and get a carfax. Make sure the throttle is smooth - tps sensors go bad. It takes a gauge to check transfer pump pressure - the pumps go bad. Check for any vibration, driveline and steering column, when driving it. These are common gen 3 problems and only scratching the surface for things to check. The straight pipe under the cab will drive you insane. I tried mine that way for about 30 seconds when I replaced the muffler. You probably won't be able to hear a lot of problems. It's a wonder a dealer would try to sell one that way. It also makes me wonder how much that dealer cares about the condition it's in. Sounds like the previous owner must not have cared, either. I doubt if I would offer $5k. I could very easily turn into a money pit. Craig
Old 10-02-2011, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah im not sure. Id really like to get it, Im not 100% where it dumps. Ill let you all know tommorow how she rides and feels.

Thanks