3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

reflash complete, mileage went up?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2003, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
reflash complete, mileage went up?

I went and had my truck re-flashed for the recall just tuesday. I filled up tuesday late. I filled up today again and I calculated out 23 MPG!!!! That is at 70 mpg on the highway and a little around town too. I am so happy with this new HO. Bought it December 2 and in the first tankful for 600 miles I got 19 mpg. Immediately on the next tank it progressed to 20 and stayed there. I lost the muffler and I took a trip to Cheyenne WY in early March and it progressed to 21.7. Last week it got 22.1 and this week it got 23.1 right after the reflash. Please reply with your findings on mileage. What did your reflash do to you? Mine even seems to sound different after the reflash- quieter at 70 mph with no muffler. Turbo seems to come on slightly different and cruise is smoother. Engine does not seem to brake the truck quite as well though.
Old 04-03-2003, 10:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:reflash complete, mileage went up?

Mine was reflashed last week ( I assume that you are talking about recall C02) The tech who did it on mine told me it was just for the cruise problem outlined in the recall and it would not affect performance or milage at all and I have driven about 700km.s ( about 440 miles since mine was done and I can't say I have noticed any difference. I also have to say that I never had any problem with the cruise either. My milage right now is 15400 Km.s or 9570 Miles.<br>Jim O
Old 04-04-2003, 05:51 AM

Had mine reflashed one week ago today. Can't tell any differance. Never had any problem with it before. 15,000+miles.
Old 04-04-2003, 07:49 AM

I have called my dealer twice to schedule an appointment for the reflash. The last time being yesterday. They stated that they have not yet received the program for the reflash and I should call them every day to see if they have it yet. I guess if they are not worried about it then there is no reason for me to be concerned.
Old 04-04-2003, 07:58 AM
jt

Forgive me, for I have been asleep at the keyboard. My HO also has poor mileage. What is the reflasing all about. I currently get app. 15 mpg avg.<br><br>jt
Old 04-04-2003, 08:37 AM

[quote author=03ho link=board=20;threadid=13158;start=0#124030 date=1049426621]<br>I went and had my truck re-flashed for the recall just tuesday. I filled up tuesday late. I filled up today again and I calculated out 23 MPG!!!! That is at 70 mpg on the highway and a little around town too. I am so happy with this new HO. Bought it December 2 and in the first tankful for 600 miles I got 19 mpg. Immediately on the next tank it progressed to 20 and stayed there. I lost the muffler and I took a trip to Cheyenne WY in early March and it progressed to 21.7. Last week it got 22.1 and this week it got 23.1 right after the reflash. Please reply with your findings on mileage. What did your reflash do to you? Mine even seems to sound different after the reflash- quieter at 70 mph with no muffler. Turbo seems to come on slightly different and cruise is smoother. Engine does not seem to brake the truck quite as well though. <br>[/quote]<br><br><br>Its all in your head I am affriad, all it effects is the cruise. Your milage seems a bit high too, I assume you must have a 2 wheeler...
Old 04-04-2003, 12:20 PM

I haven't made an attempt to sked a reflash with my dealer yet either. <br><br>I'm wondering if they would do the 3 cyl enable reflash in conjunction with the cruise control reflash - for no additional charge?
Old 04-04-2003, 03:33 PM

Lots of people on another board reported mileage getting WORSE after the reflash. I haven't noticed any change.
Old 04-04-2003, 05:30 PM

[quote author=03ho link=board=20;threadid=13158;start=0#124030 date=1049426621]
I went and had my truck re-flashed for the recall just tuesday. I filled up tuesday late. I filled up today again and I calculated out 23 MPG!!!! That is at 70 mpg on the highway and a little around town too.
[/quote]

Mine was reflashed yesterday. Drives and behaves the same as before reflash, only has to do with speed control. I will not try to calculate my mileage based one one tank fill, too many variables. Each fill can vary by over a gallon of fuel + or - at the same pump depending on time of day and temp.

Am I correct to assume you meant 70 mph instead of 70 mpg.
Old 04-04-2003, 05:35 PM

Some people my not know, but just because you have to take your truck in for a recall notice doesn't mean that they actually have to reflash it. They have to check the comptuer out to see if it needs to be done. So it makes you wonder how many people that are seeing these difference did even actually have the flash done
Old 04-05-2003, 07:38 AM

Yes, 70 mph. Yes, I needed the flash because I did have the cruise problem. Just happened about three times straight in one day. Really felt wierd! The truck did not decelerate when I geared down in fact it held speed. Well maybe my mileage just took that day and decided to get better. I have been monitoring it continually since I bought it but it is now getting 23 and I guess I'm just quite happy. Yes it is a two wheel drive dually with the 3.73 gears. 21 consistent, then 22 consistent but jump from 22 to 23 in one full tank. I fill at the same station each time till I see the fuel at the neck the same way. I think me mileage check is pretty accurate based on my method. <br><br>I just associated the two, but probably wrong to associate. It's all in my MIND! ;D ;D
Old 04-05-2003, 08:20 AM
jt

I have about 4000 miles on mine. What mileage do the trucks have that are getting above 20's<br><br><br>jt
Old 04-05-2003, 09:42 AM

[quote author=03ho link=board=20;threadid=13158;start=0#124411 date=1049549882]<br>Yes, 70 mph. Yes, I needed the flash because I did have the cruise problem. Just happened about three times straight in one day. Really felt wierd! The truck did not decelerate when I geared down in fact it held speed. Well maybe my mileage just took that day and decided to get better. I have been monitoring it continually since I bought it but it is now getting 23 and I guess I'm just quite happy. Yes it is a two wheel drive dually with the 3.73 gears. 21 consistent, then 22 consistent but jump from 22 to 23 in one full tank. I fill at the same station each time till I see the fuel at the neck the same way. I think me mileage check is pretty accurate based on my method. <br><br>I just associated the two, but probably wrong to associate. It's all in my MIND! ;D ;D<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>That is great milage, I will be happy if I make it up to the 20 mpg mark <br><br> other question, are you running the normal tires or the off-road options? All these things make a difference, maybe even more then I tought......
Old 04-05-2003, 04:32 PM

My truck has less than 500 miles on it. First fillup, I got 21 mpg. I delighted.<br><br>Gary
Old 04-05-2003, 05:25 PM
jt

I am getting about 14-16. I have 3.75, off-road tires. this truck is no way even close to my 12 valve with 330,000 KM on it.<br><br>Jt

Quick Reply: reflash complete, mileage went up?