3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Radiator issues, any advice???

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Radiator issues, any advice???

As I wrote in yesterday with my once thought oil leak turned into a radiator issue and not oil at all.

I found the leak yesterday morning but got under the truck last night and found that the radiator is loosing fluid. It is a steady drip coming from the right side of the radiator by the electrical connection but fluid can be felt all along the bottom of the radiator. I am assuming there is a leak/hole and gravity has allowed the fluid to collect on the bottom of the radiator.

I know these trucks have different radiators for the different systems. The one that is leaking is the one with the cap, largest of the three, and the one closest to the cummins. I have been looking at trying to figure out where the problem lies but due to my lack of mechanic knowledge have been unable to define the problem, hence I come to you guys/gals. The fluid is a thin pink/rust color that smells berry sweet almost.

Any suggestions on where to start?
How do you remove the radiator itself? Could this also be a transmission issue? I checked the dip stick on the transmission and it is still full and much darker in color. Does fall under warranty on the 100k cummins, or the 75k transmission/drivetrain warranty?

So many questions... so little time! I hate being without my truck.

Anyone else had an issue such as this? The truck is about 2 1/2 years old with 78k on it.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:01 PM

I read a thread on here or one of the other forums about this issue with early 03's. If I remember right there is an electrical connection retaining clip that is attached to the fan shroud that rubs on the radiator, eventually wearing a hole in it. Try doing a search and you might find that thread. Hope this helps. Also, check your warranty booklet that comes with the owners manual, as I can't remember which warrany the radiator falls under.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:08 AM

Well I got under the truck this past weekend and drained, flushed, got some of the pelletized stop leak, and refilled the radiator. The fluid is not pouring out of the truck now and after I had done it I pulled the truck off the jacks and had it idle for about 30 minutes and took off down the road. I put about 15 miles on it one way and had it up to 94 with the heater on full blast. I turned around and came back to the house to find no leakage.

But I will definately check that clip though and see if a little JBWeld is needed. I saw the clip you are referring to and thought to myself, I can see that rubbing the radiator. I will definately recheck that. Thanks