3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Racor fuel/water separator question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Racor fuel/water separator question

After replacing my lift pump and cp3 recently (due to water in the fuel), I've decided to add some more water filtration to my fuel system. I am looking at a Racor R-225R with 2 micron filter, which I was thinking of plumbing between the stock cannister and CP3 pump. Any thoughts or advice? Is the 25 gph rating of this filter high enough? I'd like to go with something where I could see the water, and something with an electrical water in fuel indicator light. The stock water in fuel light has never lit since I've owned the truck.......so I don't trust it.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I added a Racor filter after loosing injectors at 30k. I was going to do the glacier 2mic setup w/ fleetguard filters but the local cummins shop really likes these Racors because of the water separation cpabilities. I think the 25gph is marginal, i have the 445R2 that flows 45gph with the 2 mic. There are two different heads that work with that filter also, mine has an integrated priming pump that makes it easy when changing filters.

The main thing with the racors is the aquablock filter media. The filter is treated with a water repellant, and in theory it is one of the best water seperators out there. The other thing about the aquablock is if you get a lot of water the filter media is supposed to swell and eventually stop all flow, so you may be stuck on the side of the road but its a safegaurd to prevent damaging fuel system if there is too much water to knock it all down. Downside is replacement filters are $$, like $40, but i run them for a year, even with some biodiesel, and never clogged one yet. The clear plastic bowl is nice also, i take a quick look with flashlight every now and then and i have seen some water down there and drained it out. I think they work really well, and i will keep this filter even when i add an airdog for extra protection. You can also add a bowl heater as well as the WIF light if its cold where your at...

If you run a 5mic baldwin in the factory canister and install the racor downstream, the filters will last a long time. Low pressure fuel gauge at cp3 is a must though IMO. Also, you can put bigger filters on that flow up to 120gph if you want to go big in the future...
Old 03-11-2009, 08:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You can get a much better result from a Fleetguard FS-1000. That is what folks use in the Marine industry because the Racor is such a pain to clean. It's a standard filter, no bowl.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:31 AM

The racor R-225 does have a bowl, and provisions for a water in fuel sensor. After doing some more research, I'm thinking of going with the Racor FG500 (60 GPH flow) turbine design. Are there any spin-on type filters, like the Fleetguard fs 1000, that also come with a water in fuel sensor? I haven't been able to find one.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:33 AM

Sorry Spooler, I now see you were saying that the fs 1000 filter had no bowl....my bad. You're saying that the Fleetguard filter would be better than the Racor product?
Old 03-12-2009, 10:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think you will fit a turbine design filter anywhere on your truck, they are really tall. The water in fuel sensor thing is a toss, the factory ones don't seem to work at all but I've heard the Racor ones in the bowl are really sensitive and because the filters are better at knocking down water it is more likely it will light up before you do damage. I just look in the bowl before start up a few times after getting a new tank of fuel...

Your truck deserves a good 2mic filter and any of them will be a big improvement so no need for a filter war, but i don't see how you are going to get "much better results from a Fleetguard FS-1000". 2mic Racor's also have a very good rating, and not saying i'm convinced the aquablock is the magic end-all to water in fuel, but here in the NW many in the marine industry think so. If the filter is mounted in a good spot filters are almost as easy to change. Not sure what you would clean unless you see water/debris in the bowl. I just drain bowl, spin it off and onto new filter, spin new filter onto head...
Old 03-12-2009, 04:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel David
Sorry Spooler, I now see you were saying that the fs 1000 filter had no bowl....my bad. You're saying that the Fleetguard filter would be better than the Racor product?
Yes, due to ease of use, storage capacity, and no cleaning. Just toss it when your done.