3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

questions about the 2006 auto trans

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
questions about the 2006 auto trans

I am looking at a 2006 with the 5.9 in it and auto trans. It has 175k on it and has a 5th wheel hitch on it and they want 20k for it.
I tow a 5th wheel and I am curious if you think the tranny would be in good shape or the best way to check it out

any thoughts would be helpful

Thanks
Old 01-03-2018, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by flyingd
I am looking at a 2006 with the 5.9 in it and auto trans. It has 175k on it and has a 5th wheel hitch on it and they want 20k for it.
I tow a 5th wheel and I am curious if you think the tranny would be in good shape or the best way to check it out

any thoughts would be helpful

Thanks
---------------------
flyingd:

Let me see if I can help you out with your question Sir.

In your post you didn't say whether or not the present owner has "modified" the current tranny in the truck or not. That would be the first thing I would ask. IF he has upgraded or modified it, ask him what the mileage was when he did the upgrades. By "upgrades" I mean better internal parts such as different torque converter, upgraded valve body, more internal discs in the forward and OD clutch packs along with higher line pressures.

IF the present owner has NOT "upgraded or modified" the tranny in anyway, I would tell you that 175,000 miles is quite a few miles on the 48RE Dodge Transmissions and you can be sure there WILL be wear on those internal parts IF the tranny is still stock. If that is the case, I would NOT buy that truck to tow a 5th wheel as the price he is asking seems high to me.

I don't want you to buy the truck and then experience tranny problems when you start towing that 5th wheel. As you may or may not know, the stock Dodge transmissions are not that strong and whenever I bought a Dodge CTD Pickup, one the FIRST things I would always do is to upgrade the transmissions with some of those internal parts I mentioned above.

I hope this has helped you some Sir! Good luck to you.

---------
John_P
Old 03-11-2018, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by John_P
---------------------
flyingd:

Let me see if I can help you out with your question Sir.

In your post you didn't say whether or not the present owner has "modified" the current tranny in the truck or not. That would be the first thing I would ask. IF he has upgraded or modified it, ask him what the mileage was when he did the upgrades. By "upgrades" I mean better internal parts such as different torque converter, upgraded valve body, more internal discs in the forward and OD clutch packs along with higher line pressures.

IF the present owner has NOT "upgraded or modified" the tranny in anyway, I would tell you that 175,000 miles is quite a few miles on the 48RE Dodge Transmissions and you can be sure there WILL be wear on those internal parts IF the tranny is still stock. If that is the case, I would NOT buy that truck to tow a 5th wheel as the price he is asking seems high to me.

I don't want you to buy the truck and then experience tranny problems when you start towing that 5th wheel. As you may or may not know, the stock Dodge transmissions are not that strong and whenever I bought a Dodge CTD Pickup, one the FIRST things I would always do is to upgrade the transmissions with some of those internal parts I mentioned above.

I hope this has helped you some Sir! Good luck to you.

---------
John_P

so would it be safe to say that 175k miles on a stock tranny about this time when you would start to see issues?
Old 03-12-2018, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 1jarhead

so would it be safe to say that 175k miles on a stock tranny about this time when you would start to see issues?
--------------------
1jarhead:

Yes Sir,......it is "safe to say that 175,000 miles on a stock 48RE tranny" would be the time you may start to see problems. As a matter of fact, issues with these transmissions can start way before that depending upon many issues along with how well the maintenance has been done on that transmission (i.e.; changing trans fluid and filters, adjustment of bands, etc.)

Hope that helps you some Sir!
Old 03-12-2018, 09:16 AM

Thank you. Now I’m seeing problem with my tranny what would you say a rebuild of the tranny would cost? And is there an upgrade to that tranny?
Old 03-13-2018, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Thank you. Now I’m seeing problem with my tranny what would you say a rebuild of the tranny would cost? And is there an upgrade to that tranny?
----------------------------
1jarhead:

Sorry to hear of the problems you are having with your transmission.

On your question about the cost of rebuilding your tranny, I would say "ballpark" around $2,500-00-3,500.00 depending on who does it and what parts you put back in to "upgrade" the unit. On the "upgrades" I would recommend the following:

1.) Increase clutch capacity where possible (OD) and upgrade to tougher friction and metal units such as "Raybestos" Units.

2.) Upgrade to a better valve body and run higher line pressures with that unit.

3.) If you can afford it, upgrade to at least a "billet" input shaft and have the repair shop also install an aftermarket flexplate.

4.) Upgrade to at least a "triple-disc" torque converter such as the ones offered by "ATS, Suncoast, Goerend."

Finally, use a reputable transmission shop that has rebuilt or worked on Dodge CTD CR 48RE Transmissions! Make sure that shop is familiar with your truck and transmission.

One last thing............,you can also order a "ready to go aftermarket 48RE tranny" from many of the companies I listed above. That way your transmission shop basically "removes and the replaces" your old unit with the brand new unit. You or the shop of your choice then ships your old unit to the company you bought the new unit from. I know that "ATS and Suncoast" do this all the time. I would "Google" both companies and look over what they have to offer.

Good luck Sir.

--------
John_P
Old 03-13-2018, 06:28 PM

Thanks for the advice ordering a bolt in tranny is a reality good idea. I really don’t trust a lot of mechanics because most of the time they tell you they replace internal items but they don’t. since you can’t see them there is no proof they did that’s why I like to do my own repairs whenever possible. This is just too big and heavy for me to attempt.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the advice ordering a bolt in tranny is a reality good idea. I really don’t trust a lot of mechanics because most of the time they tell you they replace internal items but they don’t. since you can’t see them there is no proof they did that’s why I like to do my own repairs whenever possible. This is just too big and heavy for me to attempt.
------------------
Your very welcome on the info!

I hear what you are saying about some of the transmission shops and what they say and do. As I noted in my previous reply, look up the more reputable companies that do Dodge CTD CR Transmissions ALL THE TIME and then look at their list of reputable dealers in YOUR area or close to you. Then I would give one of them a call and set something up.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:18 PM

I have a 2006 Dually CTD with the automatic and 3.73 rear gear. I'm over 260,000 miles and I've only had 1 transmission issue. At about 180,000 miles an internal transmission wiring harness burnt out. It cost me about $1500 to have it repaired. When the problem occurred the transmission would only go fowarded in 1st and 3rd gear. I regularly have the truck at maximum towing/hauling capacity. I'm the original owner and I've kept the truck bone stock. The truck you're looking at could be in the same shape as mine.

I hope this helps
Old 03-21-2018, 07:04 AM

Hey everyone, I was reading this thinking it would help and it kinda has but I was looking at a 2006 ram 2500 short bed 5.9l no 5th wheel hitch and a 163k miles on it. Same as the gentlemen earlier he’s wanting 20k but I’m sure I could talk him down. Talked to him on the phone and he seems to think the 2 previous owners didn’t haul anything and they were locals to NWA.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jake479
Hey everyone, I was reading this thinking it would help and it kinda has but I was looking at a 2006 ram 2500 short bed 5.9l no 5th wheel hitch and a 163k miles on it. Same as the gentlemen earlier he’s wanting 20k but I’m sure I could talk him down. Talked to him on the phone and he seems to think the 2 previous owners didn’t haul anything and they were locals to NWA.

Thanks in advance.
-----------------------
Jake:

Welcome to the website Sir.

As I said in my earlier posts, I would thoroughly check the maintenance records on the transmission in that truck. You can ask the owner but I would want to see actual service record receipts of what had been done to the tranny. Service records such as: when was the tranny fluid changed, did the owner have them adjust the bands, and how many times did he have the maintenance done?

Good luck!
Old 03-21-2018, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by John_P
-----------------------
Jake:

Welcome to the website Sir.

As I said in my earlier posts, I would thoroughly check the maintenance records on the transmission in that truck. You can ask the owner but I would want to see actual service record receipts of what had been done to the tranny. Service records such as: when was the tranny fluid changed, did the owner have them adjust the bands, and how many times did he have the maintenance done?

Good luck!
Thank you.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:23 AM

John
Again I am a newb to deisel trucks what is getting the bands adjusted mean?

Sorry for the the stupid question.