3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Question?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question?????

I am going to buy a fifth wheel camper very soon.
Probably looking to get as big as possible. Around 40 feet triple axle. I am guessing around 15,000 dry.

The question is how much can I tow?
I know there are differences of opinion. I know some will say "Should tow" others "Could Tow" that is ok. I just need an ideal.

I have a 2003 2500 CTD Quad Cab 4x4 it is not a long bed. I have the six speed. All I have done to the truck is put a high flow air filter on it. I don't care to make it faster just need to know if I can tow this without a dually. Thanks. I have searched and really couldn't get a definitive answer. Please help.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:29 PM

I pull a 37' Jayco 5er, with 4 slides, about 13k dry. It is about 2300lbs on the pin. This is the most important part, you do have a limit as to what you can put in the bed. I would put airbags on, and maybe look at a little more hp would be good. Other than that I dont see you having any problems

Kevin
Old 02-04-2007, 11:48 PM
Banned

Your truck would PULL it fairly easily...but that isn't always the last box you need to put an "X" in on the "is everything I am doing ok/safe underway check off sheet" you have to keep in mind insurance issues...If your truck is rated to tow say 15K by the manufacturers, and you are pulling a 5er weighing in at 18k with the commodities in it and you wreck, your insurance company is liable to walk out on you. I know that sounds very pessimistic, but weight is always a HUGE determining factor as to whether my father and I hook up our gooseneck and travel or not. If someone can prove that the reason you killed another driver was because you were pulling 2 tons more than what DC claims that your truck is safe at pulling, you will be up the creek without a paddle.

Derek
Old 02-04-2007, 11:58 PM

This is something to think about, I would recommend calling your insurance company and see what they say. I also would fully recommend putting an exhaust brake on that baby, you will be thankful that you did

Kevin
Old 02-05-2007, 01:26 AM

Thats a BIG trailer.By the time you add water,personal items,dog,cat,family Thats why they have duallys and 4.10 gears.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by krisbarger
Probably looking to get as big as possible. Around 40 feet triple axle. I am guessing around 15,000 dry.

I know there are differences of opinion. I know some will say "Should tow" others "Could Tow" that is ok. I just need an ideal.

I have a 2003 2500 CTD Quad Cab 4x4 it is not a long bed. I have the six speed. All I have done to the truck is put a high flow air filter on it. I don't care to make it faster just need to know if I can tow this without a dually. Thanks. I have searched and really couldn't get a definitive answer. Please help.

Your truck has a GCVWR of 21,000lbs because you have 3.73 gears. That is the total weight of your truck, it's cargo and any trailer you pull and it's cargo. Your truck probably weighs about 7000lbs or so, so you could "legally" according to DC tow 14,000lbs or so.

Your truck will be able to tow more, no doubt about it. Whether you should is up to you, but the main weak link is going to be your rear tires. The pin weight on a trailer that big will most definately put you over your rear axle rating and tire ratings. If you are going to tow that heavy I would suggest some air bags for extra support on your springs and Rickson wheels with "G" rated tires. http://www.ricksontruck.com/

Just because you tow over what DC rates your truck at doesn't necessarily mean you are breaking any laws. DC under rates them to cover their own behinds.....not yours. But the laws vary from state to state. It is my understanding that the main concern would be the "what you weigh" vs. "what your tires say THEY are rated at". Rickson 19.5'' wheels would help that part of the equation anyway. Good luck!
Old 02-05-2007, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by krisbarger

I went through this already. I had a 2003 2500 SB before my current truck. It towed the trailer we had then just fine, then we had to have a bigger trailer, then it was 2 quads on a deck on the truck, the next thing you know with tongue weight and the quads I had 3500 payload on a truck that was rated for 2090 lbs. Could I tow all this? You bet. Did I tow all this? You bet, but not for long. I had air bags and all that but the truck was overloaded and you could feel it. I don't regret getting a bigger truck one bit. I like being within the limits when I am towing. The trailer you are considering is too much for that truck IMHO.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:03 AM

Have to agree with Smokeman. I had a 99' 2500 SRW towing all sorts of tt's & 5th wheels. I had borrowed a DRW for a week while my truck was down for repairs. Guess what, when I got my truck back I traded it for what I have now - right quick!!
World of a difference - positively and way more comfortable towing.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by GMScott
Have to agree with Smokeman. I had a 99' 2500 SRW towing all sorts of tt's & 5th wheels. I had borrowed a DRW for a week while my truck was down for repairs. Guess what, when I got my truck back I traded it for what I have now - right quick!!
World of a difference - positively and way more comfortable towing.
The heaviest we ever pulled with my dad's 99' 2500 was 12-13k. Gooseneck loaded with cattle. He did the whole go through insurance and find out what is right and what is wrong, etc etc...and I believe that his towing capacity was 13k (I could be wrong, it's been a LONG time) so that is why he never went over. There are a lot of bends in our mountain roads and sometimes weather isn't that great either, but State Farm told him that if he loaded even a thousand more pounds on his truck than it was deemed capable of by DC and killed somebody, he wouldn't have a chance in court...so we played it safe. I can tow more than that, obviously, but I will play it safe too.

Derek
Old 02-05-2007, 11:55 AM

No doubt you can pull it. Question is can the rig be controlled when Joe idiot wanting to pull out onto the two lane waits till you get 70' from him and decides to go so he won't have to follow an rv?

IMHO, 40' is way too much tail for the dog, even if yours was a LWB.

Avoid the white knuckle syndrome. Make your towing/rv destinations safe and enjoyable. Think about a dually.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:17 PM

stopping should be no proble with all that wind resistance

it will probably ride like poooooo.

I LIKE DUALLS personally

cross winds will give you a fit