3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Poor Man's/DIY intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poor Man's/DIY intake

Ok, I've bought this '05 w/208k miles a little over a month ago now. I got it from an auction dealer for a good deal (good deal to me at least for $7,500). I stepped "down" from a $30k Tundra to this truck.... And haven't looked back... Love this thing!

Anyway... My plan all along has been to put as little money into this thing as possible (no big $$ upgrades) and treat it like the work horse truck it is. Funny thing is I've grown attached to this diesel much faster than I thought I would!

What can I do to the intake that is cheap? My good friend that's on this board too (1-2-3) has an '04 with some kind of K&N air intake. I love his whistle sound! We (mostly he) took the silencer ring out of mine... but it didn't really increase the whistle sound.... it's more of a "Whoosh" sound now.

What are those baffles in the stock air intake tubes for? Can I take them out to make them a straight tube and get more turbo sound out of it?

Thanks Ya.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by FunFinder5
Ok, I've bought this '05 w/208k miles a little over a month ago now. I got it from an auction dealer for a good deal (good deal to me at least for $7,500). I stepped "down" from a $30k Tundra to this truck.... And haven't looked back... Love this thing!

Anyway... My plan all along has been to put as little money into this thing as possible (no big $$ upgrades) and treat it like the work horse truck it is. Funny thing is I've grown attached to this diesel much faster than I thought I would!

What can I do to the intake that is cheap? My good friend that's on this board too (1-2-3) has an '04 with some kind of K&N air intake. I love his whistle sound! We (mostly he) took the silencer ring out of mine... but it didn't really increase the whistle sound.... it's more of a "Whoosh" sound now.

What are those baffles in the stock air intake tubes for? Can I take them out to make them a straight tube and get more turbo sound out of it?

Thanks Ya.
Do you need to have the whistle for a work truck? Sounds to me like you are in the early stages of the disease. The important part is recognizing it early.

If I were using it as a work truck I would just leave it alone. I'm sure you could rip the baffles out to get more sound. I think the majority of the turbo whistle comes from a different air filter (large cone) so this won't help much. Before I bought the AFE intake, I swiss cheesed my oem air box and it did contribute a little. But no where close to the AFE.

I guess you could experiment around and if you totally mess it up you can have my oem air box and track. It's like new and I don't need it.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:43 AM

Inexpensive= PSM system.
Jay
Old 06-25-2009, 10:20 AM

Yeah... I've been bit by the

Also thinking about opening up the CAT or something. However, I'm not "young" anymore and have 3 kids. But I do enjoy a little fun every now and then. Just not sure right now I'd enjoy it all the time (although it might cancel out some of the noise I here from the back seat!).
Old 06-25-2009, 10:34 AM
Banned

Yeah... I've been bit by the

Also thinking about opening up the CAT or something. However, I'm not "young" anymore and have 3 kids. But I do enjoy a little fun every now and then. Just not sure right now I'd enjoy it all the time (although it might cancel out some of the noise I here from the back seat!).
Give it a lot of thought before you mess with the cat. There are big downsides to doing that, mostly $$$. And really no upside performance wise.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:13 PM

Several of us have run a 4" diameter length of corregated drain pipe from the bottom of the air box straight down to the bottom of the wheel well. Same concept at the PSM intake, and cost $12. Also take out the baffles in the intake tube, or replace that with a cool hose intake tube.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:25 PM

google for the "Whistler" Intake.....inexpensive to build DIY and sounds AWESOME
Old 06-25-2009, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by BMH95
Several of us have run a 4" diameter length of corregated drain pipe from the bottom of the air box straight down to the bottom of the wheel well. Same concept at the PSM intake, and cost $12. Also take out the baffles in the intake tube, or replace that with a cool hose intake tube.
Do I remove the baffles in the elbows too or just the baffle in the straight tube? I saw the baffles in the elbows and wasn't sure if they needed to be there to add rigidity and/or to keep it from collapsing. If that's not the case those suckers will be out of there tonight!

Also, do you all run the 4" drain pipe through the metal fender into the open area between the outer fender and rubber wheel well lining?

Thanks
Old 06-25-2009, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Hoss3500HD
google for the "Whistler" Intake.....inexpensive to build DIY and sounds AWESOME
It adds up quick... I did mine a bit cheaper and am using the stock tube. Bought the Amsoil filter and the top elbow. Still came to $130 for filter, prefilter, and elbow.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:47 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Do I remove the baffles in the elbows too or just the baffle in the straight tube? I saw the baffles in the elbows and wasn't sure if they needed to be there to add rigidity and/or to keep it from collapsing. If that's not the case those suckers will be out of there tonight!

Also, do you all run the 4" drain pipe through the metal fender into the open area between the outer fender and rubber wheel well lining?

Thanks
The fins in the 90* part are helpful, I would leave those in there, The baffles that cross cut the middle of the intake tube... take those out.

The PVC thing... I have some pics in my gallery, I did that to mine. If you want more info, PM me, I'll tell you about my method of my DIY...
Old 06-26-2009, 07:09 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
He's Hooked

Old 06-26-2009, 07:14 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Ya.
No my friend, you took a leap up.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:44 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm waiting to see what he says when he has that rv hooked on and passes someone going UPHILL. I passed someone going UPHILL, 75 mph, with my rv AND boat in tow. 42 feet of twin trailer. The look on the ladies face in the Geo was priceless. And for the safety folks, it was a 4 lane road.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:48 AM

BHAF. Cheap, easy, not too loud towing heavy.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:50 AM

Ya'll have all given me some great ideas... Where do you all get these BHAF from? Is there a NAPA part #? What about hoses? Is it ok to use schedule 40 PVC with all the engine heat?

Quick Reply: Poor Man's/DIY intake