3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Poor Man's/DIY intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never mind... found the tech pages and I'm looking at the part #'s now.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:30 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Guess I'll start looking for that peice of leftover 4" pipe I had.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:28 PM

I gutted the stock intake pipe last night. The picture shows only 2 of the honeycomb pieces as I had already thrown the other two away before I thought about taking the picture.

I can hear a little bit more now, the real test will be in a couple weekends when I tow the camper again down to South Padre Island and back (~1000 miles round trip). I still think the whistle was louder with the silencer ring in... crazy but that's what it seems like.
Attached Thumbnails Poor Man's/DIY intake-img_0248.jpg   Poor Man's/DIY intake-img_0247.jpg  
Old 07-06-2009, 04:54 PM

I did the silencer ring and gutted the tube. There is more whistle when you are working the engine more such as towing.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by BMH95
Several of us have run a 4" diameter length of corregated drain pipe from the bottom of the air box straight down to the bottom of the wheel well.....
add me to the list...did it on the weekend. took about 2 hours, but most time was spent trying to find tools in the messy garage

cut the hole to fit the smaller diameter of the tubing. it snapped in place and holds tight. but for #@%*s and giggles, i left some tabs on the pipe to attach it with large pop rivets.
Attached Thumbnails Poor Man's/DIY intake-airduct001.jpg   Poor Man's/DIY intake-airduct003.jpg   Poor Man's/DIY intake-airduct006.jpg  
Old 07-06-2009, 11:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Corrugated tubing is the nemesis of air flow. Unles you went with a significantlt larger size, you probably decreased air flow.

If it makes more noise, you definatly decreased air flow. Noise is caused by turbulance. Smoth flowing air in large volumes is almost noise free. Kinda like a garden hose. Water flows through just fine, and makes almost no noise. But put a little kink in the hose......

I'v been doing a lot of reading about intake swaps on these trucks. I have yet to see a any type of filter, box or hose that makes a noticable increase in power or efficiency. Even those that show a big drop in intake temp make almost no power increase.

I'm saving my money, and sticking with the stock set up. Until something better comes a long.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by .boB
Corrugated tubing is the nemesis of air flow. Unles you went with a significantlt larger size, you probably decreased air flow....

air flow decreased?? when compared to an untouched factory air box??? hardly

yes, smoother tubing would flow air much better than corrugated
Old 07-07-2009, 08:48 AM

Does anyone know why the pictures aren't showing up and instead just a broken link shows? Is something up with the site? I uploaded them using the "manage attachments" option.

If the pictures would show up you'd see what I'm talking about. I gutted the intake pipe that goes from the factory air box to the turbo. If you look into your factory pipe there is a honey comb insert in there along with a cork screw type sleeve. Once taken out the pipe is smooth inside and should have more volume. In theory this "should" increase air flow. Although that's not why I did it because I too agree intake isn't a power rubber on these trucks. I did this to increase the turbo whistle . Juvenile I know, but I've got three kids and I'm not get'n any younger!

The only purpose I can gather from looking at that honey comb insert inside the intake tube is to muffle sound.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by jughed440

air flow decreased?? when compared to an untouched factory air box??? hardly

yes, smoother tubing would flow air much better than corrugated
Yes, decreased. The corrugations create turbulance around the edges of the tubing. The greater the velocity, the greater the turbulance. That turbulant air is fairly stagnant, and does not move foreward very well. That leaves a central comlumn of air that can move smoothly and quickly. That effectivly decreases air flow. To make up for the corrugations, you have to move up to a larger tube. But that also means more bends and sharper curves. Again, decreasing air flow.

If you want to increase air flow, you need a nice smooth tube with a consistant radius and and very few bends.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:56 AM

Corrugated tubing is the nemesis of air flow. Unles you went with a significantlt larger size, you probably decreased air flow.

If it makes more noise, you definatly decreased air flow. Noise is caused by turbulance. Smoth flowing air in large volumes is almost noise free. Kinda like a garden hose. Water flows through just fine, and makes almost no noise. But put a little kink in the hose......

I'v been doing a lot of reading about intake swaps on these trucks. I have yet to see a any type of filter, box or hose that makes a noticable increase in power or efficiency. Even those that show a big drop in intake temp make almost no power increase.

I'm saving my money, and sticking with the stock set up. Until something better comes a long.
Im sorry but this is incorrect. You cant tell me that the restrictive as hell stock intake and filter sitting in a warm as hell engine compartment is going to flow better and make more hp than a cold air intake with a higher flowing filter sucking in 10 degree cooler air. It is proven and a fact that for every degree drop you have in intake temp that you gain around 1 hp. Now you might be sacrificing air quality with a higher flowing filter, that i dont know to much about.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:56 AM

Yes, decreased...
boB, jughed440 *added* a pipe to his stock air box. He didn't remove the factory opening that has a nice big gap in it between the box and the fender... he just added another opening using corrugated drain pipe in the bottom leading to the fender. This is an addition not a replacement, therefore basic logic states more (cool) holes into air box the better.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by FunFinder5
boB, jughed440 *added* a pipe to his stock air box. He didn't remove the factory opening that has a nice big gap in it between the box and the fender... he just added another opening using corrugated drain pipe in the bottom leading to the fender. This is an addition not a replacement, therefore basic logic states more (cool) holes into air box the better.
exactly....guess i could have mentioned that it was added, but i expected the downloaded pics to show that. for some reason, the pics didn't work
i'll try again....

Old 07-07-2009, 06:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My setup is similar to Jughed440's, but I used a 90 degree drain pipe elbow.

MikeyB
Old 07-08-2009, 12:52 PM

Oh, I see! You're right, I was wrong. Without the picture, I thought you replaced the stock hose between the box and the turbo. What I see in the picture could only improve air flow into the box. Whether that increases power and efficiency or not is a differant issue.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:55 PM

I decided to cut my box up too and try it out being that it's a free mod (house is missing one gutter elbow now).

I placed the elbow facing the front of the grill in the open area between the light and entercooler. Took a nice long drive yesterday (200 miles) for work and never saw the intake temp above 125 degrees. This when the outside temp was 102 degrees (south Texas)! Not bad considering I've been seeing 130+ degrees for the intake temp.

Oh, and the is much more noticeable now. Not as loud as 1-2-3's but enough for now.

On a side note, I got 22.7 mpg per the OH on that trip @68mph, which also included ~20 miles of city driving. My overhead has always been 7-10% off. So even at 10% that's still 20.6 mpg!
Attached Thumbnails Poor Man's/DIY intake-img_0251.jpg   Poor Man's/DIY intake-img_0252.jpg   Poor Man's/DIY intake-img_0274.jpg  

Quick Reply: Poor Man's/DIY intake