3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

oil pan drain plug hex drive size

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil pan drain plug hex drive size

What size hex drive do I need to remove the drain plug ? Doing my first oil change
after getting a bunch of free oil changes thru the dealer past 18 months.
I purchased Mobil Delvac Super 1300 15W-40 at Wallymart for $6.32 a gallon
Is this oil good enough for a non-synthetics ? I was thinking of waiting until I have
20K miles on the truck before switching to Rotella T synthetic 5W-40 which is $16.45 a gallon at Wallymart. With 12.5K miles on my truck I'm not sure its trully broken in yet.
I'm towing my 5er up to Canada for 3 weeks so I want fresh oil now even thought its
only been 3K miles since my last oil change.
On my other vehicles I've always drained the oil then removed the oil filter.
Is this sequence still valid for our mighty Cummins ? I'm gonna try the garage bag
over the oil filter to eliminate the mess.
Thanks
Old 06-14-2005, 10:13 PM
Chapter President

A one gallon zip loc bag works perfectly for the oil filter trick.

Any oil that falls under the specs is fine. Your ok there.

I waited 25K before changing to synthetic motor oil.

My drain plug is a 1/4" ratchet drive not hex shaped. someone else may chime in on that one.

I drain oil then tackle the oil filter. That one is just preference. Makes no difference as far as I know.

FYI when the oil starts draining out of the pan, comes out hard and fast. Splatters a lot everywhere. I use a self containing pan from Wal-Mart and put 4x4 blocks under it to raise it up closer to the oil pan on the truck to decrease the splatter!!

Jamie
Old 06-14-2005, 10:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't help you on the size hex drive off the top of my head. But, I will tell you after doing my own first oil change that it is sooooooooooooooo much easier to get the oil filter off with a metal "c" size oil filter cap wrench to put on the end of your socket wrench with extension.

When I get back from a trip pulling my 5th wheel and ATVs to Arkansas next week im going to be due for my 20,000 mile oil change (i am doing them every 5k). I added a Fumotovalve last time so im looking forward to releasing it and letting oil flow with less mess.

I would give your truck a little more time before adding the synthetic to make sure it is broken in good. I am running Shell Rotella T 15w40 dino oil and it seems to be fine.

Yes, drain the oil, remove the filter, replace with the new filter (but prefill it some first with new oil), replace the oil drain plug, and fill. You are good to go.

It is handy to have a plastic baggie to place under the oil filter after you have loosened it and then just finish removing it by hand with the plastic baggie around it to cut down on the mess.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:23 PM

Jmac
Thanks for the advice on raising the drain pan to avoid splattering. I noticed you have
the vent kit. I purchased one too but have not installed it yet. I was worried about
filling it up and then no where for the fuel to expand on hot Colorado summer days.
Any problems with leaks when its super hot out side and your truck is filled up and
sitting in the hot sun all day ?
BTW, nice looking truck
Old 06-14-2005, 10:35 PM

TexasCTD
Thanks for the feedback. So you double tow I see. We are considering purchasing
2 personal water crafts on a twin trailer set-up. How does she tow with 2 trailers ?
I often wonder how it would be towing double without seeing the 2nd trailer. I guess
a camera set-up would be cool but costly. Lots of people out here in Colorado double
tow 5er's with boats. I saw a guy last week-end towing a 30-32ft 534 (Keystone Couger)
and pulling a nice size ski boat behind that. The boat looked pretty heavy and was nice
looking. Ford F350 crewcab short box SRW was the tow vehicle and he was cruising at
75mph. I would needs meds to tow that set-up or a beer between my legs to calm my
nerves a little
Old 06-14-2005, 10:44 PM

It is hardly worth mentioning but the drain plug takes a 3/8 inch square ratchet (or extension). It 's a lot better than having some metric or SAE size hex head that keeps you looking for the next size up or down for a proper fit.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:02 PM

Pop-Pop
Thanks, this makes things easier
Old 06-15-2005, 02:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, ....duhhh......I forgot about the drain plug just needing a 3/8 square ratchet. I knew that it did, I just had a brain fart when you asked about it orginally.

I don't have any problem double towing since the ATV trailer and ATVs only weighs maybe 1200lbs. My son's ATV is a little Yamaha Badger 80 (250lbs) and mine is a Kawasaki KFX 400 (400lbs) and then the weight of the 13'? trailer.

You can forget about backing up. But otherwise, it just tracks fine behind the 5th wheel. Some states it may be illegal and some states it is fine if your rig is not over 65 ft of total length. I have never had a problem.

Now, I have seen some guys pull a heavy boat behind a TRAVEL TRAILER. I think that is a mistake. If you are going to pull double..........I do believe it safe with a 5th wheel but not a TT. And obviously nothing real heavy.

Maybe someday I can get a large 5th wheel Toy Hauler trailer and forget the doubles.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had heard that taking off the intake tube before chaning the oil filter was helpful but it wasn't. It is easy to get to the oil filter from below with a cup wrench and extension.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:11 AM

The zip lock trick works great. I could not believe how loose my oil filter was when I change my oil this weekend. The dealer did the last change and I would say that it was hardly hand tight. I had a large drain pan and the oil still splattered on the garage floor.

I pull a 32 foot fifth wheel and have thought about pulling a boat or ATV's, but for now I will pass. I know my truck could handle it with no problem. A friend pulls a 34 foot TT and his jet ski behind with a chevy, brave man.