3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Oil leak from top of oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed oil on the ground underneath the truck yesterday. I thoroughly cleaned the motor, performed an oil and filter change, then fired it up to observe. Couldn't find anything, so I went for a quick ride. When I came back, there was a drop of oil at the bottom of the outside of the filter. Looking at the top of the filter, I could see a film of new oil around the top rim of the filter. What gives? I was wondering if the K&N Air Charger intake was rubbing on the filter, skewing it a little allowing oil to escape, but upon removal of the intake there's no indication there's been any abrasion. I'm using a Purolator filter, Number L45335. It's been tightened snugly by hand. The oil stains were confined to the right-hand (passenger) side of the engine compartment.

I'm open to any and all suggestions, though if you're going to write and bash K&N stuff you can probably save the bandwidth since that debate is as old as "Tastes great, less filling".

See signature line for truck details...

Thanks in advance,

Pat Carnathan
San Diego, CA
http://www.patcarnathan.com
Old 08-02-2005, 07:50 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My guess is your oil filter is too tight, too loose or has two gaskets (one from the old filter stuck to the housing)
Old 08-02-2005, 08:09 PM

Hmmm. Too loose or too tight. I imagine there's a torque specification, but I wouldn't be able to utilize my torques wrench here anyway. I was always taught that hand-tight was the ticket. I checked, and there's only one O-ring gasket. Good thought, though!
Old 08-02-2005, 08:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by infidel
My guess is your oil filter is too tight, too loose or has two gaskets (one from the old filter stuck to the housing)
Ditto

Remove the filter and double check with an inspection mirror. If you find nothing wrong try another filter brand. I'm not trying to start a war about filters, but there can always be a bad "batch", or you could have the wrong one. We had a bunch of factory oil filters recalled for airplanes because they used the wrong thickness of rubber to make the gaskets. The metal edge of the filter would bottom out before the rubber did. Not good at 5,000' MSL.

Also, double, tripple check the part number on the filter to make sure they gave you the correct one.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:34 PM

I went out and bought a Fram to compare with the Purolator. Using a dial caliper, they're as close to identical as you can get. Looking at the fitting where the oil filter mates, I'm assuming that surface should be as smooth as a baby's rear end, right? Mine has a very fine score across it. Although if that's the problem, why did it take two years and 24,000 miles to manifest itself?

While trying to avoid a filter war, what's everyone else using? Fram, Penzoil and Purolator are the easiest to acquire here in Southern California, but I can buy Amsoil filters relatively easily to go along with the Amsoil oil I'm using.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:00 PM

I would use the purolator filter. Are you sure the air filter isnt dripping the oil. Sometimes when ambient temp is real high the oiled filters will let loose a few drips.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:47 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Put the Fram on and see if it leaks.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:51 AM

I have always been told that once the gasket touches the housing you should go about 3/4-1 full rotation to have the best seal. I have noticed that mine often gets a little film on top of the filter mount. Like where you can see the two plugs in the housing. but it has never left a noticeable leak/ puddle
Old 08-03-2005, 08:51 PM

You will notice on the sides of a Fleetguard filter there are printed directions that say
to hand tighten then turn another 3/4 turn. Now, some may interpret 'hand tighten'
different than I but I am calling just snugged up good with no special effort, then
go another 3/4 turn.

If you are working from the bottom, a magic marker will be a nice aid in doing this.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:05 PM

Personally, I wouldn't put that Fram on my truck. Fleetguard Stratopore LF3892s. Buy at any big rig shop that has a big C sign outside. Or order from Geno's or any one of many internet sources including ebay.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by moterhead
Personally, I wouldn't put that Fram on my truck. Fleetguard Stratopore LF3892s. Buy at any big rig shop that has a big C sign outside. Or order from Geno's or any one of many internet sources including ebay.
I'm looking at Geno's site and their 03-05 4/2/1 kit shows the Fleetguard Stratopore LF16035 as the oil filter. Any idea what the difference is? Something to do with fluets?
Old 08-15-2005, 09:59 AM

Personally I don't understand why anyone would use anything but the Stratapore filter . Kind of like running the Wal Mart brand oil in your engine !!! I like the fact that the Stratapore's are sealed in plastic to limit foreign material from getting inside . I ALWAYS blow a little compressed air into filters to remove any crud and have seen some pretty scary things come out of filters for my gassers !! Besides any oil related probs develop any you have given DC an excuse to limit warranty coverage if they so desire .