24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fuel filter top leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel filter top leak

I have a leak in the top of my fuel filter housing at the black rubber plug with a red and black wire. Does anyone know if the rubber plug is replaceable or does someone have a top they will sell me? What does this plug / wire do?

Art
Attached Thumbnails Fuel filter top leak-email-filter.jpg  
Old 04-08-2008, 07:45 PM

That is a plastic plug and it is the fuel heater. Today is your lucky day.
1. Unplug those wires at the connector.
2. Remove fuel filter assy.
3. Remove top portion of fuel filter assy from engine.
4. Carefully remove red and black wire from plug. (If you look inside the plug, you can see the tab that holds them in.)
5. Remove Torx screws from heater element from fuel filter cap.
6. Pull plug and wires through the cap and then remove and replace o-ring. I got mine from NAPA. There's no particular one you need, just make sure it is taught around the plug and fits tightly into the cap.
7. Put it all back together, prime, start.

It's pretty simple and a Haynes or Chilton's will help you through the process of removing the heater.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:47 PM

By the way, I don't see a fuel pressure guage installed in your pic...
As you were, I saw it when I enlarged the photo... Good luck
Old 04-08-2008, 08:31 PM

Thanks. The wires going into the heater are frayed. When I disassemble it, will I be able to replace the connector? It looks like it is leaking at the wire.

When I smelled diesel I looked under the hood. When I touched the wire it started a candle sized fire. Not too bad but lightly unnerving. Glad I wasn't rolling down the highway when it happened.

Art
Old 04-08-2008, 08:47 PM

if it is leaking around the wires than you are in for a treat. same thing happend to mine. dodge no longer services the filter head (was $200.00 + part) now thy wont to sell a filter relocation kit to the tune of $1100.00. as im in not in the far north i removed the heater assembly and taped the hole with 1/2 pipe tap and pluged the hole. so far no trouble with temps down to 19 f and no codes.

bill
Old 04-08-2008, 08:54 PM

I called the dealer earlier and had a good laugh with the counter man. He didn't know it was a relo kit (as if that would have made it seem more reasonable). I will pull it apart tomorrow and see what happens with the wire. I live in Texas and if it gets down to 19F we talk about it for years. I will try to fix the wire but it is good to know I can delete it if necessary.

What do guys do with the old filter location when they install a FASS or other such remote filter?

Thanks.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:50 PM

Solution for now at least

I took the filter housing off and did as suggested above. I removed the heater since it was leaking at the wire and not just the O ring.Instead of drilling and tapping it out and plugging with a threaded plug, I built a "boat plug" with one hose stuck inside of another with a bolt through the middle to compress and swell my "plug". I need to get a different hose because I have my doubts about the diesel proofness of the current one. So far so good. Thanks for the help. If anyone has a heater they want to sell email me.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:29 AM

Look and post in the classified section for filter assemblies. I had one given to me for shipping and paid for another. There always seems to be one around in a garage somwhere..