3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

NV5600 switch to built Auto please Advise

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NV5600 switch to built Auto please Advise

Alright fellas I'm tired of messing with the NV5600. Rebuilt it twice already and the input shaft broke again last night barely doing anything. I'm getting ready to do twins and some other stuff to bump the truck up to around 800 horse and if the NV5600 won't hold up now then it sure as hell won't once I'm making even more power.

I need some straight forward advice on all parts necessary to swap my NV5600 and t-case to a built automatice. I want it to be a floor shifter still so I don't have to change out my steering column. Other than that I am extremely unfamiliar with anything to do with auto tranny's and what is compatable and able to switch over to my truck.

I need to know if I've gotta switch ecm's, driveshafts, and all that other stuff.

My truck is a 2005 Ram 2500, 4x4 quad cab, the t-case shifter is in the floor not a turn switch on the dash. Let me know if you need more specific details on the truck or whatever to get the best information.

I am willing to trade for an automatic setup out another truck that is compatable that is looking for a built NV5600, custom built SB DD clutch rated for 1400 hp, and upgraded hydraulics. Please let me know where I need to start adn what all is involved in this type of swap. Thanks
Old 02-25-2011, 06:24 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I would first try to figure out why you are breaking the input shaft. It would probably be a lot cheaper to just get another transmission (NV5600) than to try to swap to an auto that will need a full rebuild to handle the power.

And yes, you will need to have both drive shafts modified or replaced.

Do they even make a floor shifter for the autos?
Old 02-25-2011, 09:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I seriously wish I where closer and in a position to do the swap rite now. I would take you up on the offer to swap parts in a heart beat. I want a 6 speed and dont plan to put much more than stock power to it. I will be doing the swap some day. I miss my 04 6 speed I had.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by rockcrawler304
I would first try to figure out why you are breaking the input shaft. It would probably be a lot cheaper to just get another transmission (NV5600) than to try to swap to an auto that will need a full rebuild to handle the power.

And yes, you will need to have both drive shafts modified or replaced.

Do they even make a floor shifter for the autos?
Yes I know of a couple guys that have switched to a auto with a floor shifter including a guy a know around here I just haven't been able to ask him about it. The reason they keep breaking is most likely due to hard 4x4 launches and really fast shifting and too much power to drive it like a race truck. I'm just tired of it breaking and I'm getting ready to add some major power to it and if the NV5600 can't hold up now then it sure won't after I do all the new stuff
Old 02-26-2011, 10:48 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by gecoveyc
Yes I know of a couple guys that have switched to a auto with a floor shifter including a guy a know around here I just haven't been able to ask him about it. The reason they keep breaking is most likely due to hard 4x4 launches and really fast shifting and too much power to drive it like a race truck. I'm just tired of it breaking and I'm getting ready to add some major power to it and if the NV5600 can't hold up now then it sure won't after I do all the new stuff
OK.. Hard launches make sense!!

I know cbrahs on here was going to do the opposite swap on his 07 but going to a G56. As far as the ECM goes, he was running a Smarty and was going to have Bob send him a new program so it would not have the auto anymore in the programming and instead be the manual. This may be a route for you to go tgo get the ECM part taken care of. The rest should be a pretty straight swap.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:06 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Off the top of my head you need engine adapter and flex plate, trans control harness, range sensor harness, output shaft speed sensor and harness, ECU with the TCM programs in it.

Thats under the hood and truck, inside would take cluster and maybe cluster controller, steering column and maybe another harness. The ECU uses the range sensor to determine a lot of the TCM functions and not sure what would happen if that feed is not there.

You almost need the same year truck and start swapping pieces to see what is positively needed. Pain in the posterior for sure.

You may be better of trading for the truck you want than swapping, unless your a masochist of course.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:26 AM

pm'ed ya...let me know if you want to try workin out a deal...im looking to swap auto to manual...trucks an 04.5 qc t-case shifter on floor...willing to trade you everything for your setup...
Old 02-27-2011, 01:30 PM

Yeah I've heard Bob can send me a program through my smarty to retune the ecm. And yes I've had several people try to tell me just to trade the truck off for a different one but thats not an option. This is the truck I want and built since the day I turned 16 so I'm not looking to get rid of it. Thanks for all the helpful advice guys