3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Not Enought Heat

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not Enought Heat

Well, first ever post. bought a 07 dodge 3500 srw larimine, full load. It has been really cold here in fort Mac. I found that the truck was a taking an exceptionally long time to warm up, even in the not so cold temp -10 to 20. After 20 it takes a looooong time to deliver heat. Should I take it in for a thermostate replacement???

C
Old 01-15-2007, 09:31 PM

Location: Well I thought I lived in America, but its looking more like france every day.
No, thats the way diesels are. see if your high idle is enabled. in very cold temps it raises the rpm to 1000 instead of 750. if its not enabled have your dealer do it, should be free.. also look into a winter front, it really helped my cab warm up time. Mopar sells a nice one. oh, and welcome to the DTR your truck sounds nice.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's actually two kinds of high idle...

1) 1000rpm if left idling in cold weather for more than 2 minutes

2) Adjustable 1100-1500

If you want faster warm up, have the dealer install the factory exhaust brake. It puts a load on the engine when idling. In 40f weather, mine will warm up in ~15 minutes, just idling on the jake, while I hook up the boat.

Granted, it's ~$1800, but it'll warm up the motor, and give you better braking on grades...with and without a load.

HTH

Tony
Old 01-15-2007, 10:33 PM

Pieces of cardboard over the condensor and radiator are cheap and work great. It worked great in Co., too - I had heat in the cab in about 5 miles. You can do the ex. brake if you'd rather spend $1800! Craig
Old 01-16-2007, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by FortMacSummit
Well, first ever post. bought a 07 dodge 3500 srw larimine, full load. It has been really cold here in fort Mac. I found that the truck was a taking an exceptionally long time to warm up, even in the not so cold temp -10 to 20. After 20 it takes a looooong time to deliver heat. Should I take it in for a thermostate replacement???

C
There is likely nothing wrong with your thermostat. Your truck should idle up automatically to 1000 rpm when it is cold out. You can try the cruise control high idle to see if it is enabled. Do this by pressing your cruise "on" button then the "set" button, then you can bump the idle speed up using the accel or decel buttons.

You can also try the winterfront thing, it may help some.

The only thing that gave me fast warmups was to turn the exhaust brake on and run the idle at 1100 rpm. If you tow much an exhaust brake is a good purchase.

The other thing I am doing this week is installing my Espar heater. You can read more about them at http://www.espar.com These heaters are becoming more and more popular in cold climates as they burn far less fuel than idling the truck but will bring your engine up to operating temp before you ever go out to start it.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:43 AM

Very good advice smokeman. Its true a diesel will not warm up till it is worked. You can leave it idle for hours in the cold, and it will not raise the temp, but work it for a short ammount of time,, and there it is. I found that a winterfront helped somewhat, but not enough IMO to be worth the money. But an exhaust brake I think is the ticket, unfortunately I wont be getting my exhaust brake on til after all the cold is gone,, but next winte,, woo hoo, look out

Kevin
Old 01-16-2007, 10:51 AM

I just put a couple feed sacks in between my grille gaurd and grille. After idling for about 10 mintues, take off down the raod. Seems to warm up pretty quick.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:06 AM

Wow the espar looks cool. I really don't need one but I want one anyway.
Joe
Old 01-16-2007, 03:10 PM

plugin it in @ nite will help 2
Old 01-17-2007, 07:28 AM

I bought the mopar winter front for my truck last year, works great. It has an adjustable opening in the center. About 6" square with (4) velcro flaps. Plug the truck in at night ( in the garage). I drive about 7 miles to work and the truck will get to the 200* if the temperature stays above 20*. Even this morning with temperature at 5* gauge came within 1/8" of 200*.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by FortMacSummit

C
Use a winter front for the cheap fix, if you are going to keep the truck or at least keep running diesels look into the diesel heaters, i love mine, cab and engine are warm when you go to leave in the morning, no more fighting over plug in's.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:58 PM

Anything below -15 C I use a piece of cardboard behind the grill. Picked up a 1500W circulating heater last cold snap, works great for the price. Heat soon as you fire up. I know how cold it can get up there, I almost try and forget, too many years working up North.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by drdigger11
Anything below -15 C I use a piece of cardboard behind the grill. Picked up a 1500W circulating heater last cold snap, works great for the price. Heat soon as you fire up. I know how cold it can get up there, I almost try and forget, too many years working up North.
What did it cost for the circulator, and who makes it? (My brother has one on his Pasat diesel, and says they're great.)
Old 01-18-2007, 08:07 PM

It was about $75 @ P**v*y M*rt, tie into heater hose & block. When it was
-30C it was melting the snow around the hood vents after being plugged in for
approx. 4 hrs. Don't remember the make, but that farm supply store should
know. I swapped out the plastic Y in the kit for a metal though, for added durabilty. I run the same setup on my rig, on the motors, only bigger. If it gets any colder than that plug in block heater & circ. heater - toasty warm.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by drdigger11
It was about $75 @ P**v*y M*rt, tie into heater hose & block. When it was
-30C it was melting the snow around the hood vents after being plugged in for
approx. 4 hrs. Don't remember the make, but that farm supply store should
know. I swapped out the plastic Y in the kit for a metal though, for added durabilty. I run the same setup on my rig, on the motors, only bigger. If it gets any colder than that plug in block heater & circ. heater - toasty warm.
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Not Enought Heat