3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

no air filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no air filter

ok, so this past weekend i went to install my Banks junk(in my sig) on my truck finally. first thing i did was pop the old filter box and bam! to my disbelief there was no air filter in my box. i have had my truck for about 10 months and have put about 9k on it apparently without an air filter! i've been down stone and dirt roads that kick up dust and who knows where else. i checked the compressor wheel to see what it was like and the fins were not smooth. they were kinda jagged and i started to worry. if stuff got in here to do this to the turbo, what does my cylinder walls look like? when i took off my factory bonnet for the high ram, the heater grid didn't have anything caught in it, but i couldn't check the intercooler to see what could be packed in that thing. everything still works great, the turbo had no shaft play and still makes plenty of boost, so should i really be worried about this?

btw, i couldn't believe the difference the intake horn made. the way the truck makes power has changed drastically. (i'm sure since i didn't have a filter my banks cold air probably didn't do anything for my engine.)
Old 11-24-2008, 05:04 PM

WOW... go buy some lotto tickets!!!
Old 11-24-2008, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by woodzy
WOW... go buy some lotto tickets!!!
If i was in an earthquake, you'd be the guy im standin next to.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Man that sucks I would take the intercooler off and have it cleaned.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:10 PM

Send an oil sample in for analysis at Blackstone, they can tell you how much silica is in there and whether you're seeing excessive wear.

And post the analysis for us to see!
Old 11-24-2008, 06:29 PM

Well, glad to hear the truck is running fine still!

I would send your oil in for a sample like MikeyT said...

And have the CAC blown out like 98whitelightnin said.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:54 PM

if nothing else i might be able to turn this into an excuse for a new techni-cooler or something similar...hmmmmm. i'm just afraid of what my cylinders might look like. i'm going to send a sample in then. i did do and oil change about 5k ago. i guess that's long enough, now that i think about it. what about the blades on the turbo, ridges isn't normal then i take it? i have a two turbo cars, and the compressor wheels don't look like this but they also don't have 150k on them either.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:09 AM

I don't mean to sound negative...but I would sure worry. I know a mechanic who replaced an engine for a guy who had a 1999 Dodge Cummins. Used it up on the rigs and always ran an aftemarket performance filter which he did not maintain too well...after a while there was no compression left. Ouch. That's how serious it is to take care of your air filtering...
All you can really do is hope for the best. Definitely send in a UOA, and if it was me, I would have the bottom end inspected and a compression test for sure.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As stated get an oil analysis done ASAP. It'll tell you how much dirt was injested and it's affect on aluminum, iron, and other wear metals. It's the only way to tell the damage done unless you pull the cylinder head or do an entire overhaul. It costs around $20 for an analysis.

And my opinion is there is damage. Sorry.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:38 PM

You can look up blackstone they will send you a sample bottle to send in your sample. If I was you I would call them and get it mailed air mail so I could get it done fast. Do a tbm test to see how good your oil is. That test cost a little more but will tell you lout about oil.----I hope good luck is on your side.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:42 PM

I am sorry for your loss. Now who is responsible? If it was you, well..... your stomach is turning. If not you then who? I just gotta know.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:09 AM

whose fault?

well i bought the truck from a private seller that i somewhat know. i still haven't talked to him since i'm afraid i'm going to lose it when i do. he had an aftermarket cold air system on the truck and he wanted extra for it. i told him i didn't want it so he said he would put the stock stuff back on. well i took it for granted that he put a filter in it. of course i just looked at the filter minder and saw that it was good off and on since i've owned it. all he had to do was tell me it didn't have a filter, it wouldn't have broke the deal. how hard would that have been. just as easily though i should've checked, so this somewhat could go either way.

i ordered a blackstone kit to test my oil so we will see what turns up and of course i will post the results. also, this may be a dumb question but how do you do a compression test on a diesel? through the injector ports?
Old 11-26-2008, 03:50 AM

I hope the blackstone results come back OK for you. I'd be pretty upset, I do wonder if you have some legal recourse in this matter. Kinda like selling you a used vehicle but draining all the oil before they take possesion of it...
Old 11-26-2008, 04:09 AM
Banned

Considering the total miles on the truck (looks like you indicate 150 K) the damage to the turbo may not be new and you may not have done much new or additional damage. The fact you did not have a bunch of stuff stuck to the grid heater was actually a very good sign.

The oil sample is a very good first step but you really do need to pull the IC and back flush it asap.

What kind of boost numbers are you making and is there much oil under the crank case vent? If you are dry there then you are unlikely to have much ring damage.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:39 PM

When you send your sample in include a note outlining the problem. They'll pay special attention to indicators that may be a result of the filter issue and will address this in the report summary.

Quick Reply: no air filter